Sign in to follow this  
spiderplant

misheard lyrics

I had always heard the first couple of lines in No Surprises as "A heart that's full of blood collides with a job that slowly kills you," versus, of course, "A heart that's full up like a landfill, a job that slowly kills you." My bad!

Another much more recent example is from Oh, Marcello. I had always heard "una villa," which I had assumed meant "a village" in Italian or something. It made sense to me, considering that the song is, at its surface, about a woman worrying about her child becoming a killer and it reminded me of the phrase "It takes a village [to raise a child]." Hence una villa = a village. But it's actually una mille and that's just much more confusing IMHO.

I'm sure I have more! I just can't think of them, haha.

quote:
Originally posted by TC:

Another much more recent example is from Oh, Marcello. I had always heard "una villa," which I had assumed meant "a village" in Italian or something. It made sense to me, considering that the song is, at its surface, about a woman worrying about her child becoming a killer and it reminded me of the phrase "It takes a village [to raise a child]." Hence una villa = a village. But it's actually una mille and that's just much more confusing IMHO.

I actually thought that part was "mama mia", but Regina was playing around with its pronunciation. Really interesting to know what it really was!

^^oo! and Ghost of Corporate Future! Big Grin

speaking of narrators in regina songs, anyone ever notice secret "I's" sneaking in? These pop up every once in a while. I'll try to think of a good example...

Well, there's "Scarecrow and Fungus," where the narrator only identifies him/herself once at the beginning..

I don't know, sometimes the speaker feels like a most aloof and mysterious character, like in 20 years of snow. he's been coming round "here" places the narrator within the world of the characters.

idk. Random, sorry heh heh

hey ho, it's way past midnight but isn't that the proper time to stick around here?

I just read throught that section and realized how often I'm wrong jeez.

I should put up a challenge for myself: Properly learn 1 Regina song every day!

The first thing I wanted to say was, that until the concert 2 days ago I had never doubted she sang

"it didn't matter that our anger couldn't even reach the bottom of a bathtub" instead of ANKER!

Idk, she kinda pronounced it less softly during the concert and suddenly it hit me! But on the album I never would've thought about the obvious, lol. And isn't it kinda nice and poetic, how the anger doesn't reach the bottom? Wink

2nd...

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

In Chemo Limo, I always heard the line "Michael sat on my knees and whispered to me all about the meanies" as "My kids sat on my knees and whispered to me all about the meaning."

OMG, are you serious, it's NOT ?? Nooooo, my world breaks a little bit apart! I seriously always heard Michael, also meanies, though I had no idea what that could be Big Grin

For a very long time I always heard "This shit is making me dead" instead of TIRED and I admit I was a bit disappointed when I found out because "dead" seemed "stronger."

In 20 years of Snow I heard 'boots' but, regarding the words flowing out of them, books def makes more sense Wink

"sure likes the spa"

that one as well!

"complimentary souls"

and that one! complimentary souls, that's nice too, like they are so similar, those bastards...

"But I love a mother."

And finally this one. I hear that too!! Definitely though, it sounds so much like it.... Confused

(good night good people)

No no eva! Don't worry. the real line is "michael sat on my knees and whispered to me all about the meanies." ThisIsHowItWorks was just saying that he heard "my kids" and "meaning" but that's not the real line! Smiler

I always thought meanies was a term that a little kid would use to describe people who were mean. So i took that line to mean that there were kids at school who would tease Michael, and in the limo, he's telling his mom all about their teasing Smiler