Sign in to follow this  
ThisIsHowItWorks

Stix History

quote:
Originally posted by From the Pampas:

Thanks everybody for your answers. It is interesting to learn that the Stix was created by Regina herself, or under her own initiative.

Maybe it's true that the larger a group grows, everyone becomes a bit more "anonymous" or you don't get to know everyone, but... hey, the Stix is growing, which means Regina is growing, more people are finding her (like I did) and getting to like her... let's see the positive side too. Just saying.

true, true! and i love meeting people on here... it's just that it's a nice alternative for everyone to have a handle of who everyone else is, rather than rveryone needing multiple introductions to the same people.

Also, it makes me sad that people left... it's kind of like the all-boys club started in 3rd grade, but then they got older, and one guy brought his girlfriend along to meet "the guys". That was cool, and everyone said, "we're all about including new people, and i'm sure this girl will feel like one of "the guys" in no time!

As a result of the girlfriend's admittence, girls, upon seeing one of their own kind being so accepted by this previously-assumed exclusive, close-knit club, felt more comfortable hopping aboard. (girls representing new Stixers.) Then it became kind of a snowball effect, and some of the guys from back in primary school felt uncomfortable with all of these unfamiliar additions to the club, reminiscing on the "good old days" when it was "just us guys"... they don't have a problem with chicks joining up, but initially things were a lot simpler, and the group dynamic more informal.

and i guess the main reason i kind of wish the Stix had stayed the same is because i know that those who left were established members. As in members of a community-it was like a family here, and that means that the Stix was something special, important, and personally significant to these people. And the fact that they left kind of implies that we new folk ruined things for them. And that's aweful! In a way, i'd rather things had stayed the way they were, "outsiders" just reading along, wondering if they would fit in, only for the sake of the members still reaping the benefits of the relationships they had on here.

And i don't really know, because when i read along before joining, i had assumed that everyone here knew regina personally, and were probably blood relatives to each other (boy was i wrong!). Maybe i'm overestimating the bonds that were shared before the stix blew up.. but this scenario has kind of been festering in my mind, and resurfaces every time i read of a member leaving, or who has left, etc.

anyway, crappy analogy (boys' club..), i know... but it's really late. (I should stop tagging "it's too late" onto all my posts and just go to bed *sigh*)

quote:
Originally posted by .:

I believe new members should always feel welcome, and never hesitate to join. Outsiders are outside on their own. No one told them to stay there. The slides and fun and laughter should be invitation enough Smiler

Whatever bonds/friendships/relationships you saw before signing up, were simply a result of people spending time together on these boards and/or meeting up at shows, which any member (old or new) can participate in, if only enough time is given (or can it be given?).

I have not been here much lately so I don't really know where you guys are getting the idea that old members are leaving due to new members. As far as I know, old members who have left had left on their own due to their own personal and/or internal issues with themselves/friends within the Stix. I don't believe new members joining had anything to do with it at all, at least not in my case.

I hope you all will always feel welcome here. Regina made this for the whole world. She told us when we met her in Atlanta that that's exactly what she had in mind with the Stix, for people to be able to share in all this together.

And remember, "don't take it too seriously, if you don't take it seriously, no one gets hurt. And if you ever feel lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends."

Compound wurd.

I agree with . completely.

It was tough figuring out who everyone was at first even when they were all posting! The stix is just a dynamic place. We're glad you're here now. I look forward to spending time with over the internet and meeting more of you for real at shows.

Think of this place as a beach. And we're all just grains of sand. The ebb and flow of the ocean (life) pulls some grains away. But it causes new grains to accumulate. Other times it brings old grains back. It's a continuous and healthy cycle.

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

Think of this place as a beach. And we're all just grains of sand. The ebb and flow of the ocean (life) pulls some grains away. But it causes new grains to accumulate. Other times it brings old grains back. It's a continuous and healthy cycle.

nicely put. Smiler hello again, everyone

quote:

Except for George, who is more like a rock. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

quote:

Except for George, who is more like a rock. Big Grin

Haha yeah... And regina is the moon causing the tides.