Sign in to follow this  
eshbach

Respekt Online needs a designer!

Fellow Stixers,

Respekt Online needs your help.

A few months ago I finished a new code-base for the site to improve performance and add many new features. We are very excited to launch this new site, but we have been unable to do so thus far because we are missing one very important piece: The Design!

I am a web developer, and handle all the coding for the site from the front-end markup, scripts, and style sheets to the C++ and SQL on the back. Unfortunately, I am not artistically gifted, and I have simply failed to create a design that does well by the site. We have been in contact with a few very talented artists, but for a variety of reasons we simply have not found a design for the new site.

If you are a web designer, an artist, or just someone who has an idea, we would love to have you as part of the team. Here’s the plan: I am going to provide a list of things the site needs. You can choose to take on the whole list, just a part of it, or even a single item. Post whatever you come up with and some way to get in touch with you. It doesn’t need to be a final-quality masterpiece, just a sketch or mock-up.

The other RSO staff and I will evaluate the posts and if we like what we see, we’ll contact you and get going on the real thing.

Thanks in advance for sharing your talents, we really appreciate it!

RSO Needs:

1. A Color Scheme. The background color, the font colors, the border colors, all that good stuff.

2. A logo. The thing that will say "respektonline" on every page.

3. A set of buttons for the pages. We need the following buttons: Concerts, Studio, Videos, Photos, Covers, Forum. We want these to be on every page so they need to smaller than the current ones.

4. A layout. The flow of information on the page, where all the “stuff” goes. I can code it in pretty much any way you can think of, but I'd like to have a layout that is consistent across every page (except the forum) instead of different layouts for each page, like we have right now.

5. A search box and button. These are different from the page buttons in that they should be somewhere unobtrusive, but a little more pronounced so that people can easily find the search function.

Fellow Stixers,

Respekt Online needs your help.

A few months ago I finished a new code-base for the site to improve performance and add many new features. We are very excited to launch this new site, but we have been unable to do so thus far because we are missing one very important piece: The Design!

I am a web developer, and handle all the coding for the site from the front-end markup, scripts, and style sheets to the C++ and SQL on the back. Unfortunately, I am not artistically gifted, and I have simply failed to create a design that does well by the site. We have been in contact with a few very talented artists, but for a variety of reasons we simply have not found a design for the new site.

If you are a web designer, an artist, or just someone who has an idea, we would love to have you as part of the team. Here’s the plan: I am going to provide a list of things the site needs. You can choose to take on the whole list, just a part of it, or even a single item. Post whatever you come up with and some way to get in touch with you. It doesn’t need to be a final-quality masterpiece, just a sketch or mock-up.

The other RSO staff and I will evaluate the posts and if we like what we see, we’ll contact you and get going on the real thing.

Thanks in advance for sharing your talents, we really appreciate it!

RSO Needs:

1. A Color Scheme. The background color, the font colors, the border colors, all that good stuff.

2. A logo. The thing that will say "respektonline" on every page.

3. A set of buttons for the pages. We need the following buttons: Concerts, Studio, Videos, Photos, Covers, Forum. We want these to be on every page so they need to smaller than the current ones.

4. A layout. The flow of information on the page, where all the “stuff” goes. I can code it in pretty much any way you can think of, but I'd like to have a layout that is consistent across every page (except the forum) instead of different layouts for each page, like we have right now.

5. A search box and button. These are different from the page buttons in that they should be somewhere unobtrusive, but a little more pronounced so that people can easily find the search function.

OK Folks, we have had 0 responses to this so so far. I know there are talented artists on here, so please, even if you have never designed a website before,fire up photoshop and give it a try!

Frowner I wish someone would help. I have ZERO art talent (dance is my talent but that is no help here)

I don't have photoshop either. Damnnnn. Anyways this deserves a *BUMP* It is SUCH a GREAT oppurtunity to give our input and be a part of our evolving brumstix.

Since you haven't gotten ANY responses, I'll throw in just a tiny tid bit of something, even though it's more of just an example of something I've done that I liked how it turned out.

I do not have many artistic designs for things, but, for what it's worth, in 2004 I helped my friends design, code, and launch www.ccbsayit.com/, which is basically the RSO for our own mutually-shared favorite band [though they've always been my Regina projects, hah ]

I'm by no means saying that's a perfect design or even that you should use anything from it, but after a re-design or two, that's what we have now. It's worked out extremely well, and has gotten a great response from the fanbase as far as coherent layout, and ease in finding things goes. The only thing I think they should do better is make it easier to discover/locate links to fan recordings of shows. Currently, you have to go to the setlist pages, and click on the entire year link on the left side of the page to see the downloads/streams from each show, but I think [especially with a Regina site] it should be made obvious for new fans that your site has downloadable shows in the first place.

I'm not involved in it now, and they're currently upgrading it for crap like 3-D pages for the band's gear and such, and a forum, but this is the base layout.

So anywhooo