Sign in to follow this  
Be like the water, people.

Chemo Limo

whoah. i've always interpreted "crispy crispy benjamin franklin" as like the ghost of benjamin franklin, crispy from being electrocuted by that kite. when i read that Jay Z's song sampling chemo limo was called Crispy Benjamins, it all made sense! and her dreaming that she has the money to take care of the kids and be ok makes so much more sense than the ghost of benjamin franklin. wow. wow wow wow. it all makes sense!

quote:
Originally posted by HFLAbob:

whoah. i've always interpreted "crispy crispy benjamin franklin" as like the ghost of benjamin franklin, crispy from being electrocuted by that kite. when i read that Jay Z's song sampling chemo limo was called Crispy Benjamins, it all made sense! and her dreaming that she has the money to take care of the kids and be ok makes so much more sense than the ghost of benjamin franklin. wow. wow wow wow. it all makes sense!

i always thought it was being fried from radiation....

i love reading everyone's interpretations.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

My favorite thing about this song is the way regina conveys the mother's pain...

I was reading this thread, thinking about everyones interpretations, and when I read this part of your post, ThisIsHowItWorks, I was shocked for a moment. It's not that I forgot that we were talking about Regina and her lyrics, it's just... this song is so well done, I just don't think of Regina when I think of this song... it's weird. Does anyone else know what I mean? Maybe for another song?

^^totally, Raph! that's happened to me with Us, Laughing With, Small Town Moon, and probably others. It's like the songs have a great charm like all of Regina's work, yet for some reason, you don't identify them as "regina spektor" songs. it's not all the time, just on occasion. Especially if i'm on a listening binge for a single song, you know?

i've never really thought about that.....

it reminds me of this one morning when i was walking to my economics class, and, as always, i started playing far on my mp3 player. Usually i just scroll to a random song and walk as slow as possible without being late Razzer anyway, so Eet started playing, and immediately i turned it up. i don't know why, but it just felt like everything kind of melted away and i was swept up in the music. i felt like i was floating (and no, i haven't been doing drugs. Roll Eyes ) So... i don't know. that gave me a new appreciation for the song.

random story haha

Another one of my favourite songs. Just so beautiful and sad. I like the comments here, and like that Regina's songs always spark conversation, without necessarily having a 'right' answer.

I just want to point out something possibly of relevance - in a lot of mythology, 'going west' is a metaphor for death/going to heaven, which might explain the line

quote:
"I said "sir let's just go west"

HOWEVER, west also has different meanings, especially when you're in New York (or the east coast of Australia, as I am). So it also has a connotation of being a place that's different, and also more free. Also possibly towards the desert.

As far as the two dreams, I get blown away that there are two distinct types of dreams - the ones that are like reality but only with more hope - ie when she's talking with her doctor and boss - and then the limousine dream, which even the dreamer knows is fantasy.

The limousine dream to me definitely echoes death dreams in movies and literature (sorry I can't think of any examples more than 'Sid and Nancy' at the moment), but it's ambiguous whether the narrator is actually dying, or she's only dreaming about her fear of death.

Anyway, the line:

quote:
he said "the truth is you'll be ok anyway"
had me crying when I heard it properly for the first time - not good when you're walking through the city with headphones on!

quote:
Originally posted by davidh:

I just want to point out something possibly of relevance - in a lot of mythology, 'going west' is a metaphor for death/going to heaven, which might explain the line

"I said "sir let's just go west"

That's very interesting! Thanks for raising that point. There are many different implications that could be taken from the idea of the woman telling the limo driver she's ready to die. The 'just' in "Sir let's just go west" connotes a sort of resignedness, rather than firm sureness... So it's like she's accepted that she's going to die, but only in the sense that she knows it's inevitable.

This song seems to be full of contradictions.

quote:
Originally posted by Isabelle Stamler-Goody:

"west" is repersentitve of death, born in the east, like the sun, and then end of the life is the west.

ooooooh never thought about that...

And yes, welcome! Big Grin

um, i can't even read this stuff, or respond.

i read the first one. i had chemo, i had kids,

and i had a favorite aunt who died and forsook chemo, when i first found regina, but she was rich, so it's way complex. the song has made me cry like 5 hundred times probably. i can't think interpretations. i have mine. i think

it's apples, oranges, cutting hairs, soup, pickels, and the band played on.