Lit by a light that isn't even the moon

Ave, Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Maria

Maria

Maria

Now, how many times have I told you not to go there?

How many times have I begged you not to go?

And how many times have you snuck down to that cellar

Just to watch how the roots begin to grow straight up through our floor?

The muscles of the intellectuals are atrophying

Nobody's running, nobody's hiding

They're lit by a light that isn't even the sun

Lit by a light that isn't even the moon

Ave, Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Ave, Ave, Ave, Ave Maria

Maria

Maria

Maria

A boy on a train with a birthmark on his forehead

Listening to language tapes, and all he hear is birds

"

For me, "Ave Maria" is about trying to learn a language, or at least learn something new.

You don't have to be a smarty pants to learn a new language. There are many "uneducated" people who still manage to be bilingual or sometimes trilingual, because of their culture or situation or whatever.

So in this song, the boy is trying to learn a language, but what he hears on the tape sounds like birds, not words to him. And the muscles of the intellectuals are atrophying because they're sitting and studying in seclusion and not being active and part of life. He's thinking to himself, I don't have to be a genius to learn this language, even though these other people are lit up by something that I'm not.

So he tried sounding out the words:

"Ave, av, av, ave Maria..."

/my thoughts.

that's a really interresting take on it. i like how you're able to incorperate all of the parts into your interpretation! brilliant!

do you think there's a deeper meaning to be taken from the song, or it's just a creative look at learning something deemed "academic"?

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

that's a really interresting take on it. i like how you're able to incorperate all of the parts into your interpretation! brilliant!

do you think there's a deeper meaning to be taken from the song, or it's just a creative look at learning something deemed "academic"?

1. Thank you.

2. I think there's always a deeper meaning with Regina's songs!

"A boy on a train with a birthmark on his forehead"

Anyone else think she might be referring to Gorbachev? I don't really know how that fits in with the rest of the song, but I always imagine him (or Harry potter) when I hear it haha.

Heads up: some fairly grotesque imagery ahead. But i think regina fans can handle that, haha

This is by no means a complete interpretation, but i'm sure people won't mind that. we all tend to agree with only bits and pieces in each other's interpretations, anyway Smiler

Considering the song's title, i think Christian imagery is a possible basis for the song.

So! i was reading the book of Revelation in the bible when i was strongly reminded of Ave Maria. I was reading the verses which describe the new holy city, built by God:

"I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb [Jesus] are its temple. The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp." (Revelation 21: 22-23)

Then later:

"The throne of God and of the Lamb [Jesus] will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. They will see his face and his name will be on their foreheads. There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light." (Rev. 22: 3b-5)

This, obviously, reminded me of the lines

"They're lit by a light that isn't even the sun, Lit by a light that isn't even the moon."

From this POV, the "birthmark" on the boy's forehead could be God's name written there: he's an inhabitant of the holy city. I found that really interesting! Do you guys think she's read Revelation at some point, or literature about the new Jerusalem?

On a darker note, though, it's possible that the boy on the train is not a servant of god, but is the Antichrist. *dun dun dun* Eeker

Still all based in Revelation:

The book claims that the Anti-Christ will be wounded and thus have a mark on his head (on top of his head).

It also says the Anti-Christ will rule every tribe and every nation. In order to successfully capture the hearts of a people, you'll want to learn their native tongue. This would explain Regina's language tapes: he's gaining traction with his new conquest, convincing them to love him (BoaP, anyone?)

It is also common for politicians to make public appearances, so the Anti-Christ would travel a lot. This would explain why he's on a train.

In Revelation, birds are ordered to eat the flesh of the dead, and they indeed "gorge themselves" on it. These deaths are the causalities of the battle between God and the armies led by the Antichrist.

"Listening to language tapes

and all he hear is birds."

On a practical level, he's learning language skills for universal communication. But his attention is elsewhere: not on the people's affection, but on their destruction.

In other words, the birds he's hearing are a rather grotesque allusion to the death he intends to inflict on humanity.

I don't know how to fit all that into the song, or what it would all mean. The part about the holy city just really struck me, and then the part about the birds gave me chills, so i thought i'd share Smiler

In response to the member who attached the comment with Ave Maria lyrics, what is that? This is not Ave Maria lyrics to the song. I do not think that Ave Maria is the song to laugh at, if you think so, then you are despisable. 

Regarding the lyrics, I will write a thesis analysis on it and share it here later on.