Sign in to follow this  
Be like the water, people.

B.Y.O.S.

quote:
Originally posted by HFLAbob:

I always thought of this songs as like, she was invited to Mata Hari's funeral and the invitation said bring your own shovel to bury her yourself. it seems to me to be talking about people's obsession with death and tragedy and drama, like everyone gets excited about the execution and then they all want to bury her themselves. and all the strange and cruel things that everyone's doing because it's part of their nature are starting to rub off on regina, and she's starting to want to do something nasty as well. and you can imagine how these feelings would shake one up.

that's just how i've always read it, and it just made sense to me, but i doubt i'm making sense to any body else. :P

no it makes a lot of sense... I have to think about this some more before replying though Smiler

this is totally off, but I think this song is from the POV of someone in the World War I.

Mata hari was killed in WWI...

and this person says he's got an "invitation".

"the invitation" means that he's called for doing the work of "shovel up the mess". I think "the mess" means all the dead bodies of the people who died in the war, that are scattered around the city. His work is "to shovel up the mess", and maybe clean the city of all the dead bodies.

then he says he dug a hole, and dropped some dead animals too, and even his dead grandma...

Lol, I know this is totally off... but I think this song has some serious meaning, despite the "happy feel" towards the end...

Since Mata Hari was a spy who used her sexuality to manipulate and get information from politicians perhaps the shovel must be brought to bury the politicians.. no? Perhaps the my favourite things reference is related to burying death and war. The song is used to comfort the children during the war. There seems to be a theme of covering things. Both the Von trap family and Mata Hari are in great danger due to war. I don't know.