Kaufleuten, Zurich , Switzerland

Announced: Friday 11th September 2009

On sale: Friday 11th September 2009

Box office information:

Ticketcorner: http://www.ticketcorner.com/eventstore/control/home

Kaufleuten reservation system: http://www.kaufleuten.com/home.php

Venue information:

http://www.kaufleuten.com/home.php

I have a friend in Germany with whom I have shared enjoyment of Katie Melua and Cara Dillon over the years. Smiler

Uwe brought his family over to England in the Summer and he stayed overnight here in Sussex where I introduced him to REGINA SPEKTOR on YouTube and on CDs. Wink

Uwe will be in Zurich right now waiting for his first live Regina Show to start and I have my fingers crossed that she turns in a red hot performance to keep up my reputation. Cool

What a concert!!! Sabine (my wife) and me, we are still completely overpowered both by the presence and voice of Regina :-))

First we strolled three comfortable hours in Zurich. We were on top in the café of Sprüngli in the famous “Bahnhofstrasse” where we drank a very tasty “Chocolat Mélange”, then we walked to the Lake and afterwards to a very very nicely and cosily part of the town. There we drank a glühwein. With the cold it was good properly. Then at 7 o'clock we came to the “Kaufleuten” where the concert should take place. And the “Kaufleuten” was really a great location,

a nice theatre with a gallery all around.

We got a place in the 2nd, 3rd row. There was no space between the stage and the audience, so it was perfect or us.

At 7.30 Jenny Owen Youngs entered the stage. She played alone with her

guitar. But Sabine and I were horrified: her music was really worth hearing, but the audience, above all on top on the gallery and further behind, was so loud, everywhere a murmuring that this interfered above all with the quieter songs so that we were ashamed ourselves for the "audience". She did not let make a note of it, sang her 6-7 songs. We found it simply disrespectfully towards the artist.

Then after a break of a quarter of an hour Regina came. When she jumped on the stage, we were caught immediately by her. A young girl appeared as 20 years old there, with a winning laughter and a very Slavic, Jewish face, very warmly and nicely, but also a little bit shyly and I didn’t know whether this is part of an “image” (you never know...). Anyway, and then she sang and played on the piano, a song after the other, with such a virtuosity you have to look for a long time. She sang very much syncopated, and in addition with the accompaniment on the piano, it was very hard to do that, but it was flawless. Her magic voice in the whole evening not a single one wrong tone, many tempo changes in the midst of her songs, she often closed her eyes whilst singing. She also had no fear to to show "grimaces" when she was singing so intensely. This has impressed me very much. Her accompanying musicians were a man on the drums, one on cello and one on the violin... after approx. 10 songs, those three musicians left the stage and Regina continued quite alone, at first only she and her voice (without piano), a-capella, then again with the piano, put a chair beside the wing, took a drum stick in the right hand, made with it a (complicated) rhythm, played with the left hand one the piano, sang in addition, and rammed with the right foot now and then a sort of bass. The audience was impressed extraordinarily. It was really brilliant that this woman had such a great rhythm feeling.

The fact that she is also a thoroughbred musician, we noticed at the latest when she continued playing with the guitar, later even with an electric guitar. When she didn’t find once a chord immediately - this was so sweet as she "covered up" that with charm…almost half the concert she was alone on the stage. Then leaving and a raving audience which trampled even with the feet on the ground. The Swiss can develop unexpected emotions:-))) She came back with her musicians for the encore, and sang altogether additional 6 (!) songs and she finished the last both without the piano as a singer in the standing position. In total a very many-sided, musically (and lyrically) demanding concert which was far from the mainstream.

I know, you always put the last concert you have visited as the best one.

But if I consider it surely, Regina’s gig yesterday in Zurich was one the best I have ever experienced.

Thank you so much for this wonderful evening, Regina!

Uwe

A couple of pictures later on here :-)

Phew, I am so relieved that Uwe & Sabine enjoyed this concert so very much, as there is always a chance that Regina was not up to speed through illness or tiredness, as this tour has been so extensive! Eeker

That sounds like an idyllic time in Zurich and I am so pleased that you were delighted with your first LIVE Regina gig. Roll Eyes

As you know Uwe, Katie Melua and Cara Dillon have given us some wonderful evenings, but Regina IMHO is a Musical Genius, not only writing her own quite original material, but being able to play it on piano, guitar or merely by hitting a chair with a drumstick! Big Grin

WELL DONE AGAIN, REGINA. Cool