Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

Never Forget

I was surprised that no one really mentioned this at school. Well, in my first period class we watched a short video about 9/11 and we had to research answers to some questions like "What were the numbers of the flights that crashed?" But otherwise, not even during the morning announcements was it mentioned. Confused

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by fidelity377:

OH MY GOSH! Thank god he wasn't on there!! Eeker

Wow, you have 911 posts right now. Coincidence!

It all seems so worthless. Thousands of people dead just 'cause some soulless pieces of meat felt like killing something.

I'm so sorry for your friends, andreseng. I hope they'll feel better someday...

SOAS, your father is one lucky guy...

quote:
Originally posted by Mumrik:

It all seems so worthless. Thousands of people dead just 'cause some soulless pieces of meat felt like killing something.

I'm so sorry for your friends, andreseng. I hope they'll feel better someday...

SOAS, your father is one lucky guy...

there are thousands of "pieces of meat" all lined up to repeat this offense, and others infinitely worse, because there's a cult religion over there that is obsessed with killing America. 9/11 was the tip of the iceberg. I agree this is pointless, and i hope and pray that they're brought down before they can affect any more innocent people.

wow. I'm so sorry for all you guys Frowner Like some of you know, I live in Sweden. so... I wasn't that affected by 9/11. Yes we were quiet when the whole world was quiet to remember and show respect. I cried. yes, we talked about it in school, with friends, that it was awful and HOW could anyone do this and I've seen the documentaries. But none of that is comparable to what you must be feeling. even though many of you weren't affected I'm sure you feel more strongly about it than we do over here. I was 10 when it happened, and I didn't even know WTC existed before it was gone. I remember sitting on the floor in our living room and not understanding why the only thing they were showing on TV was two towers and smoke and fire.

I too pray for everyone affected. Thank you for helping me not to forget.

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

People always say never forget those we lost. When I used "Never Forget" for this thread I was also speaking of those we didn't lose. It effects so many people, so deeply, in so many ways.

A friend I didn't lose struggles with it constantly. The only reason she wasn't sitting at her desk at the top of One World Trade Center that morning was because her child had come down with a cold. She has terrible problems with depression and guilt.

Another friend who lost several family and friends has become a raging alcoholic and has been in and out of facilities over the last 8 years.

My brother's birthday is Sept. 11th. He doesn't really celebrate it anymore.

I could go on but I won't...Time does not heal all wounds.

so many people were affected by this...

I still feel like I can't quite grasp what happened.

Though I didn't know anyone who died that day, it effected me deeply. 9/11 completely changed many aspects of our daily life here in the US, especially in the North East, and further more NYC. I lived only about 2 1/2 hours away at the time, so my mom freaked out (obviously), took me and my siblings out of school. She wanted to make sure we knew what was going on, she said it was important to understand the situation so we could understand how it effects us.

Being only 9 at the time, I was pretty traumatized with what I saw on the news, and what I had heard. I'm sure many of you guys can relate, seeing as how many of you were young at the time. I think it made our generation mature quicker than others. This might also be why so many young people are so politically active as well. Just a quick summary of my experience, so I hope someone, somewhere can relate.

I won't... couldn't ever forget.

Please everyone take a moment to reflect or turn on the history channel and watch a bit of the specials they have on just to remind you.

I wonder what regina was doing that day.

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

Originally posted by Mumrik:

there are thousands of "pieces of meat" all lined up to repeat this offense, and others infinitely worse, because there's a cult religion over there that is obsessed with killing America. 9/11 was the tip of the iceberg. I agree this is pointless, and i hope and pray that they're brought down before they can affect any more innocent people.

Woah. Wait a second...

Okay, I remember september 11th morning clearly as most. I was sitting in the car with my dad and listening to the news. It just, startled me, slowly, you know. The feeling grew, and I began to see more and more just how powerful this day had been.

I think the reason all of us United Staters remember it so well is because it broke the flow of our world for weeks. It changed how everyone interacted with eachother for a while.

And I think that this is just a rude awakening for many to the possibility of the cruel, the malicious, the greedy, for all these dark things suddenly came knocking at our front door all at once.

Yet... there are SO many gut-wrenchingly sad things happening in the world all the time.

And still, anger and hate never solve the deep sadness we feel in our bodies. It saddens me to see christian america ignoring such central themes to jesus' teachings, you know, love your enemy, turn the other cheek. I believe these things very deep down in my stomach, without believing in god. In any completely tangible form, at least. Very simply, I believe that pure love, even when excessive, even when shameful, even in situations as dark as September 11th, always overcomes, for it overcomes justification itself, and never fails to heal.

I don't expect you to change your opinion, and especially not your perspective, that would be impossible. But please reconsider reciprocating hatred to the extremists, they will always respond to that, it feeds them. And I'm not sure you meant it, but your statement came off as if all muslims are part of a "cult religion". I feel this is a kind of racism that goes relatively unnoticed in too many parts of our country.