Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

Never Forget

^ I agree.- Don't judge ALL of Islam because of the actions of Al-Qaeda....we don't judge all of Christianity because of the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church.

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

quote:
Originally posted by Mumrik:

It all seems so worthless. Thousands of people dead just 'cause some soulless pieces of meat felt like killing something.

I'm so sorry for your friends, andreseng. I hope they'll feel better someday...

SOAS, your father is one lucky guy...

there are thousands of "pieces of meat" all lined up to repeat this offense, and others infinitely worse, because there's a cult religion over there that is obsessed with killing America. 9/11 was the tip of the iceberg. I agree this is pointless, and i hope and pray that they're brought down before they can affect any more innocent people.

You sound like an Islamophobic racist.

quote:
Originally posted by 23Allie23:

I'm sure many of you guys can relate, seeing as how many of you were young at the time. I think it made our generation mature quicker than others.

I was born in 1989 in Portugal which is a really peaceful country with no major problems at all. So I always took for granted that peacefulness and was very naive until 9/11 happened. Despite the fact that I was only eleven years old at that time and I didn't quite understand right away how serious and sad it was, as time went by and I saw more and more documentaries about it, it made me wake up and realize that these kind of tragedies, despite not happening in Portugal, affect me too. At least it affected the way I see the human being and made me realize that there are no boundaries to its evilness.

So, I really agree with you, it made me mature quicker. And I guess that happened to all the people of our generation, disregarding living in the USA or living in France.

I think this is as relevant as possible right now. If you haven't already heard (and I don't know how you couldn't have yet), Osama Bin Laden has been killed by a small US Spec Ops team in Pakistan. Almost a decade later after the tragic morning of 9/11/01, this man has been brought to justice for his crimes. I can only imagine how the people in uniform must feel right now and my thanks goes out to every one of them, from the firefighters and policemen who were there on that day, to the men and women in the military who are still risking their lives right now. This is one chapter that we can finally move to a close.

^ Lol I know it's totally random. I pictured Osama just casually and randomly strolling by a guard post and the soldier just thinking, "Holy shit that's Bin Laden!" then shooting him. After that it was glamourized as some planned out mission with a ton of intelligence and effort to appeal to the general public....Nah I don't really think that but this was kinda outta the blue....He was living in a freaking mansion! FAIL!

He was connected to and shared responsibility for the August 1998 bombings of the US embassies in Africa, the September 11, 2001 attacks on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon building in America, the October 12, 2002 bombings in Bali, the November 2003 bombings in Istanbul, the March 11, 2004 train bombings in Madrid, the July 7, 2005 bombings in London the November 9, 2005 bombings in Amman, the July 11, 2005 train bombings in Mumbai, and others. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_al-Qaeda_attacks)

This is really a symbolic victory over a hateful political ideology wrapped in a religion. Indeed, OBL killed more Muslims than any other ethnic group. The face of Islam is no longer these perverted figures, it is now the youth, the young men and women in Iran, Egypt, Libya, Syria, and elsewhere who are rising up and demanding their voice be heard and represented and they are also demanding that their freedoms be insured. This is a victory for Muslims, not just for the US. Instead of defining themselves as anti-western, people in the Middle East are more and more associating themselves with freedom and democracy now. We should withdraw from Iraq/Afghanistan and take a non-military approach over there by letting them struggle for democracy themselves, and shift our focus to Pakistan and try to change its nature.

Secretary Hillary Clinton had some good statements on the implications of this in the aftermath.

http://aljazeera.com/news/asia...115241936984209.html

edit:

Timeline: The Intelligence Work Behind Bin Laden’s Death

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes...nd-bin-ladens-death/

some good questions answered here:

Facebook Transcript: Live Chat on Bin Laden Death

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes...n-death/#more-145343

Highlights From White House Briefing

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes...riefing/#more-145515

"You have 5 of 20 free articles remaining this month." Fuck you New York Times. Way to not tell me I was using them up until I'm down to 5.

edit2:

From Wikipedia:

Osama bin Laden was killed from being shot in the head and chest, caused during Operation Neptune's Spear, with Jackpot as the code name for bin Laden as an individual and Geronimo as the code word for bin Laden's capture or death. A raid by members of the United States special operations forces and Navy Seals on his safe house in Bilal Town, Abbottābad, Pakistan took place on May 2, 2011, around 01:00 Pakistan Standard Time (May 1, 20:00 UTC). U.S. forces then took his body to Afghanistan for identification before burying it at sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...h_of_Osama_bin_Laden

Codename for raid = Operation Neptune's Spear

Codename for OBL = Jackpot

Codename for OBL's downfall = Geronimo

Apparently, Native American tribes are pissed for associating a name of a Native American leader with OBL.

They aired this once during the Superbowl in 2002 so as not to benefit financially from it or have their brand associated with the tragic events - they aired it again, once, on the tenth anniversary......