Sign in to follow this  
Lost in the Sounds

Reg in Voxpop Magazine (FR)

http://www.reginaspektor.org/i...ranslation-by-lauren

They've posted the English translation of a lengthy interview with Regina. She says some really interesting stuff about being teased in school, taking singing lessons, and dealing with teasing in school.

Excerpt:

-"I remember perfectly the cruelty of my classmates from my first school in the U.S. They looked at me sideways- some were even scared to sit next to me. Others mocked me mercilessly for my heavy Russian accent. In high school, there was even a guy who came up to me and said, “Go back to your country.” At first I wanted to cry, but then I realized, and I said, “My country? What country? I myself don’t know what my country is, how could you?” This puts me in mind of something else from my childhood. I was playing in a public park and these boys ran past and called out to me, “Go back to Israel!” And with time, these experiences made me proud to have a house within my own heart."

http://www.reginaspektor.org/i...ranslation-by-lauren

They've posted the English translation of a lengthy interview with Regina. She says some really interesting stuff about being teased in school, taking singing lessons, and dealing with teasing in school.

Excerpt:

-"I remember perfectly the cruelty of my classmates from my first school in the U.S. They looked at me sideways- some were even scared to sit next to me. Others mocked me mercilessly for my heavy Russian accent. In high school, there was even a guy who came up to me and said, “Go back to your country.” At first I wanted to cry, but then I realized, and I said, “My country? What country? I myself don’t know what my country is, how could you?” This puts me in mind of something else from my childhood. I was playing in a public park and these boys ran past and called out to me, “Go back to Israel!” And with time, these experiences made me proud to have a house within my own heart."

quote:
"I realized that the older I get, the more I become the little anguished, dreaming girl that I was."

This interview is simply beautiful. I can't get over this specific quote, it explains the emotionality of her music, especially everything pre-BTH so well. My heart jumped a little bit when I read this.

The stuff about her high school days was wonderful as well. I wonder how much of this influenced her School is Out lyrics....

And I absolutely love the idea of her making a full rap album! Big Grin I really hope she follows through with that.

She mentioned Talib Kweli!!! Big Grin

And I can TOTALLY relate to the whole "hip hop is New York" thing which is really cool because that's always been my attitude.

(still reading)

quote:
With time, I realized that the older I get, the more I become the little anguished, dreaming girl that I was. That just doesn’t exist in adults. At school, I was always like that. First I was last in the class following the first trimester, and then, by some miracle, I got good enough grades to be at the top by the end of the year. I never knew how to just get to the middle, the happy medium. I get lost and suddenly I’m dreaming.

this is so true. I can relate to this on various levels

Does anyone know were to find this interview? The link is no longer available and I can't find it on the internet. Frowner

If someone has the french version it would be perfect! (but the english version would be great too Wink)