Sign in to follow this  
Justxxxne

What's the best thing to record a Regina concert?

I am hoping and praying that Regina will play in my city soon and I want to stealth tape it. Hee hee hee! Can anyone recommend how I should go about doing this, like, what kind of affordable device would I need? Will it still work if i'm a little bit away from the stage etc etc?

I am hoping and praying that Regina will play in my city soon and I want to stealth tape it. Hee hee hee! Can anyone recommend how I should go about doing this, like, what kind of affordable device would I need? Will it still work if i'm a little bit away from the stage etc etc?

It really depends how much money you want to spend - are you rich?

A lot of people use headphones as microphones, you can wear them around your head without raising any suspicion, plug them into some little recorder that looks like an ipod and you're all set - you need to pick the right model headphone as not every one will work as a microphone (it depends on the impedance)

If you havent seen it, go and watch the french film Diva its an 80s film about a guy who sneaks a nagra reel-reel tape recorder into concerts to tape his favourite 'diva' singer.

I'd love to try getting away with that! You could just imagine the bouncers looking at an old reel-reel, laughing and letting you in thinking that old thing cant possibly still work.

Also being near the stage doesn't matter - you need to be near the speaker stack, but not too close or you'll end up getting too much base.

Regina often has a pretty small speaker stack, compared to rock bands so you could probably stand just about anywhere.

Something Ive always thought would be really cool would be getting two people to tape the same concert, one person stands on the right, one on the left - then afterwards you combine the two tapes and get a stereo recording.

impedance is just a number on the back of the box that tells you roughly how loud it will go.

Both those recorders are really good, if you want cheaper a lot of people still use old mini-disc recorders you can get on ebay for peanuts. If you can spend more then the new sony digital recorders are *really* good.

What you need to watch out for is noise from handling the microphone while recording - type the model number into youtube and you'll find people doing demo recordings and reviews which can be useful.

I have recorded about a dozen Regina Spektor shows now, and a handful of shows from other bands, so here are my thoughts on what you have been discussing so far:

Recorders:

I wouldn't buy the Zoom, I have the H4N and while it doesn't have any serious flaws, it is bulkier than the competition and doesn't have any real advantages for Regina's concerts.

The M-Audio has some software problems, from what I've heard, which will randomly result in an unusable recording about 2% of the time. It also uses Compact Flash instead of Secure Digital which makes no sense at all. The Edirol R09HR and Marantz PMD620/650 are what I would reccommend right now, but honestly the microphone matters more than the recorder.

Microphones:

A good mic is expensive, so start saving up. The DPA 4022 is the way to go, but it costs almost $2000 and you need two of them for stereo.

For an interim mic, I would look for a compact cardioid condenser with an input and power requirements that fit whatever recorder you buy. Audio-Technica, AKG, and Sennheiser make a bunch of decent ones in the $100-$500 range... but again, you'll need 2 for stereo.

Impedance:

In a DC system (which Audio is not), impedance is essentially equal to resistance. The simple way to think of it is how much the circuit 'resists' the flow of electricity. The more it resists the more power it will take to generate an equivalent output on the other side of the circuit.

In an AC system like audio, impedance is actually basically like the net effect of resistance, capacitance, and induction on the signal. Using a high impedance is a cheap way for manufacturers to make a mic which allows you to record loud volumes without distortion, but it is a flawed approach because it results in significant signal loss. You basically want the signal to flow through as freely as possible so that nothing is lost, and that means using a "low impedance" microphone and having a system on the other end which is prepared to accept a larger input signal. Ideally you should get a recorder and a microphone with matched impedances so that the signal loss in minimized.