Sign in to follow this  
Be like the water, people.

Us

I kind of think of it as being about the evolution of a relationship, and the different ways its reacted to by others. The couple if first looked to as a model: "They made a statue of us, and they put it on a mountaintop." They find no privacy: "Now tourists come and stare at us..." and then, the inevitable backlash: "And later say its all our fault."

The couple is young, relatively clueless, and in a less-than-favorable economic state: "We're living in a den of thieves, rummaging for answers in the pages." Despite this precarious situation, they're happy, and it shows: "And its contagious." (For some reason, in this song I've always thought about contagious as a good thing, in the same way one says a beat is "infectious.")

For me, "Us" is very much about being in love, and how there are many facets to love, and how you can have all kinds of different experiences in a relationship, and sometimes you feel like you're living in a den of theives, or that's your searching for answers, and yet you like the feeling and go back for more, "and it's contagious."

I was just trying to figure out what this song is about cause i don't think I have any idea... and my mom said that maybe the "statue" is mount rushmore. And the song is from the perspective of U.S. presidents or even the country as a whole. This seemed possible to me because there are many cities named after U.S. presidents. It could be saying that looking back, historians blame early presidents for the problems with our country. Also maybe there is some significance to the fact that "Us" could be "U.S." wondering what others thought of this idea...if its bogus or not...

As most Regina's songs, Us seems to be the result of a flow of ideas and thoughts that are just associated with one another quite naturally.

I don't understand the whole text as dealing with one particular topic.

To me, the first verse evokes the way people tend to idealize couple life and then get sad or maralistic as the love story comes to an end.

The chorus deals with the obsession towards social mono-behaviour and lack of trust in ourselves. Because we feel lost and insecure, we check how to behave or react in books, like for instance, some Confucius, or others.

And we are thieves, because there are just fashions, like zen, cooking, going out and drink a lot, that we just copy in order to feel a sense of belonging.

Does that make sense?