Sign in to follow this  
Be like the water, people.

Us

Recommended Posts

I honestly think that this song may be about the fall of the Soviet Union. That is a good hypothesis in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by val:

As most Regina's songs, Us seems to be the result of a flow of ideas and thoughts that are just associated with one another quite naturally.

I don't understand the whole text as dealing with one particular topic.

To me, the first verse evokes the way people tend to idealize couple life and then get sad or maralistic as the love story comes to an end.

The chorus deals with the obsession towards social mono-behaviour and lack of trust in ourselves. Because we feel lost and insecure, we check how to behave or react in books, like for instance, some Confucius, or others.

And we are thieves, because there are just fashions, like zen, cooking, going out and drink a lot, that we just copy in order to feel a sense of belonging.

Does that make sense?

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

So it sounds like your interpretation has a lot to do with the idea of the individual experience being a direct function of the experiences of others. So there is no "I," but instead an "Us."

Val, ThisIsHowItWorks: WOW! That is such a cool interpretation that you have come up with! I never even thought about this song being about a romantic relationship before. But I listened to it again after reading your posts and it gave me this whole new experience of the song. So cool.

From now, it will have multidimensional meaning when I listen to it. Big Grin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought it was about the Soviet Union, and maybe a little about the US or any Nation State in general really. (Us ---> US, like silver bullet trailer saidWink) but Soviet Union tends to stand out in my perception of the world. :P

Obviously, the "they made a statue of us" and "name a city after us" makes me think of Leningrad and Stalingrad and the endless(!) number of Lenin statues. And then how, with the fall of Soviet Union, Soviet leaders were "given a talking-to" and "they'll say it's all our fault".

But I think you can find all the little details of adjusting from Soviet Communism to Capitalism in there. Like, "living in a den of thieves, and it's contagious, and rummaging for answers in the papers". - this makes me think of Soviet mentality (very contagious), watching your step and it's better not to stick out and you play by these strange thief-like rules, and everyone is trying to find an answer for how to make it in this Communist world that we built.

And then this part, "and though our parts are slightly used, new ones are slave labor you can keep" makes me think of how in Russia/Ukraine today everything (well not everything...) is old, factories don't have the new advanced equipment of the west, but people in Russia/Ukraine still take pride in their country and defend its "shortcomings". Like, "our parts may be slightly used (nice way of saying they're old and nothing works), but what you have in the west (new ones) are no good either, they're slave labor!" Because capitalism can feel like slavery, yes.

And then, the chorus again "living in a den of thieves and it's contagious and rummaging for answers in the papers", it's like repeating the same thing again except in a slightly new form. How living in capitalism, especially susceptible in a country where it is not yet fully established, can feel like living in a den of thieves. Capitalism is contagious, spreading from the west to the east. And since no one's really got it figured out, all we can do is rummage for answers in the papers, trying to understand what the west is doing but only able to imitate it in its own eastern form, and no one really knows how its supposed to work. Now we play by these strange thief-like rules, trying to find answers for how to make it in the strange capitalist world. :P

To me, this song holds all the contradictions and non-contradictions of Soviet life and post-Soviet life. Not just in the sense of how the leaders are treated as gods to be thanked for everything/devils to be blamed for everything.

I'm sorry about my bad explanation, my language skills are just not up to par today. But I wanted to give it a try anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yaya, very impressive interpretation! Being honest, i've never thought deeply about this song, but since i'm a very romantic person, i used to think it's about relationships between lovers, but not now, hehe. Following your thoughts everything is really logically now. I accept, the song could be written about this! You know how the things really were in the Soviet union, it's not just from the pages of books of history, but how a human who was born in Russia feels and knows! Glad to meet you here! Smiler Ура, товарищи! Big Grin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Yaya:

I always thought it was about the Soviet Union, and maybe a little about the US or any Nation State in general really. (Us ---> US, like silver bullet trailer saidWink) but Soviet Union tends to stand out in my perception of the world. :P

Obviously, the "they made a statue of us" and "name a city after us" makes me think of Leningrad and Stalingrad and the endless(!) number of Lenin statues. And then how, with the fall of Soviet Union, Soviet leaders were "given a talking-to" and "they'll say it's all our fault".

But I think you can find all the little details of adjusting from Soviet Communism to Capitalism in there. Like, "living in a den of thieves, and it's contagious, and rummaging for answers in the papers". - this makes me think of Soviet mentality (very contagious), watching your step and it's better not to stick out and you play by these strange thief-like rules, and everyone is trying to find an answer for how to make it in this Communist world that we built.

And then this part, "and though our parts are slightly used, new ones are slave labor you can keep" makes me think of how in Russia/Ukraine today everything (well not everything...) is old, factories don't have the new advanced equipment of the west, but people in Russia/Ukraine still take pride in their country and defend its "shortcomings". Like, "our parts may be slightly used (nice way of saying they're old and nothing works), but what you have in the west (new ones) are no good either, they're slave labor!" Because capitalism can feel like slavery, yes.

And then, the chorus again "living in a den of thieves and it's contagious and rummaging for answers in the papers", it's like repeating the same thing again except in a slightly new form. How living in capitalism, especially susceptible in a country where it is not yet fully established, can feel like living in a den of thieves. Capitalism is contagious, spreading from the west to the east. And since no one's really got it figured out, all we can do is rummage for answers in the papers, trying to understand what the west is doing but only able to imitate it in its own eastern form, and no one really knows how its supposed to work. Now we play by these strange thief-like rules, trying to find answers for how to make it in the strange capitalist world. :P

To me, this song holds all the contradictions and non-contradictions of Soviet life and post-Soviet life. Not just in the sense of how the leaders are treated as gods to be thanked for everything/devils to be blamed for everything.

I'm sorry about my bad explanation, my language skills are just not up to par today. But I wanted to give it a try anyways.

A total other question ...

I like your signature. Where does it come from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by val:

A total other question ...

I like your signature. Where does it come from?

haha, thank you. It was something I said to a friend and it stuck in my head. :P

edit:

(not saying I totally believe in this statement though...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Ксения:

Yaya, very impressive interpretation! Being honest, i've never thought deeply about this song, but since i'm a very romantic person, i used to think it's about relationships between lovers, but not now, hehe. Following your thoughts everything is really logically now. I accept, the song could be written about this! You know how the things really were in the Soviet union, it's not just from the pages of books of history, but how a human who was born in Russia feels and knows! Glad to meet you here! Smiler Ура, товарищи! Big Grin

Thank you! Smiler

I'm glad you understood that mess of words.

and maybe it could be about the Soviet Union and about a relationship at the same time. Big Grin Lenin love story. :P

Glad to meet you too. очень приятно so to say. Smiler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, lol. This is true only to a certain extent.

But I already told people this kind of things. And it's hard to make them believe it, but when they do, they really put themselves into question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this