Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Let's not forget who started said war. Here we have an honest man who is making an honest effort to improve things, yet he is met with opposition at every turn. Considering the HUGE pile of shit that was left on his plate and all the troubles he inherited when he was sworn into office, I think that president Obama is doing a fine job so far, and would be doing an even better job if certain idiots would stop throwing stones at him and lend him some support.

I fully support the decision that was made to award him this prize. He is honestly one of the most intelligent people of our time and deserves it completely!

quote:
Originally posted by makingstuffup:

Let's not forget who started said war. Here we have an honest man who is making an honest effort to improve things, yet he is met with opposition at every turn. Considering the HUGE pile of shit that was left on his plate and all the troubles he inherited when he was sworn into office, I think that president Obama is doing a fine job so far, and would be doing an even better job if certain idiots would stop throwing stones at him and lend him some support.

I fully support the decision that was made to award him this prize. He is honestly one of the most intelligent people of our time and deserves it completely!

Ah, another starry-eyed fan of the messiah.

Okay my opinion falls somewhere in between. makingstuffup is right, President Obama is absolutely doing the best job he can. But on the other hand, MusicLover has a point. Has he really done enough at this point to merit that award? Maybe this would make more sense five years from now.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

Okay my opinion falls somewhere in between. makingstuffup is right, President Obama is absolutely doing the best job he can. But on the other hand, MusicLover has a point. Has he really done enough at this point to merit that award? Maybe this would make more sense five years from now.

Even worse, they awarded him 12 days after he was sworn in! This award was a "F U to GW Bush", and the left admits it.

alright, so it may be too soon, but musiclover, he wasn't awarded 12 days after the inauguration, that was just when the nominations had to be postmarked by. The actual voting just happened. Also, you've gotta chill with this "Messiah" nonsense.

But seriously, as much as right-wingers like to think he hasn't, the President has done more for global relations in a short time than anybody else. If the U.S. is really the greatest country on earth, then be better damn well act like it. I can't stand these American exceptionalists who think they're the best country and don't give a shit about what the rest of the world thinks. How narrow-minded can you be? The world needs the U.S., but it needs a responsible U.S. Obama, in a very short time, has been working his ass off to make the U.S. a useful part of the global community again.

And look: On September 24th, Barack Obama was the first sitting US president to chair a U.N. Security Council summit meeting. He then proceeded to talk up not just nuclear non-proliferation, but total nuclear disarmament. That's pretty damn peaceful.

The meeting was September 24th. The Nobel Committee last met on October 5th.

I just got this in my e-mail and thought it was appropriate to post here..

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama