Sign in to follow this  
Reginaoverdose

Explain your first time seeing Regina live...

Ohhh sigh I hope my parents still let me see Regina...... Alicia I will probably do the same as you did....pretty much go insane from excitement...I wrote out a speech and I am proposing things to my parents to give up in order to see Regina in concert. I am gonna try my hardest to see Regina....I dont know what I will do with myself if I cant see her...... Frowner Wish me luck guys.

I first saw her at Bridge School benefit concert in 2007.......

The lineup was marginal to me (seeing as I didn't really know who Tom Waits was) but after I saw she was gonna be there, I HAD to go. She only got to play a few songs, but played an awesome version of Ghost of Corporate Future, "...never ever watch the 10 o'clock news, ESPECIALLY FOX!" and i wanted to cry hearing samson for the first time live haha

and I saw her at Outsidelands '08 (where we definitely made eye contact during Bobbin for Apples haha im so lame) where i held back tears during OMTWF. i was SO close to her and took tons of pictures and videos which my evil camera erased making me want to cry yet again! then next at the El Rey in LA this summer, not as moving but still great

what I would have given to live in NY while she was on the up...... sigh

The first time I ever saw Regina in concert was the Begin To Hope Tour at the Norva in Norfolk,Virginia. I flew there alone from New York took the next early morning flight home because I had to work the next day. The show was amazing! I was right in front to the left of the stage so I had a perfect view. I didn't stay after because I didn't know she greets fans who wait....fck!! But I have met her twice since then (Record Store Day, and McCarren Park). I just saw her this past Saturday, (I was at the dress rehearsal of SNL-thanks to a friend who works for the show!) AND although I don't have tix to see the Radio city show I do have a tix for the afterparty at Aspen! See you there people-SO EXCITED!!

Warsaw in Brooklyn, Begin to Hope. Plastered on Polish beer, took a kid I was living

with in Harlem, 15, 250 lb, my surrogate son who tolerated her in my room often.

I stood there and cried during Field Below while he sat in the lounge where the food

was all night and talked to the opening band. Radio City tomorrow! No doubt

Blue Lips will bring me to my knees. Anyone bringing a mop?

quote:
Originally posted by RaelNYC:

I stood there and cried during Field Below while he sat in the lounge where the food

was all night and talked to the opening band. Radio City tomorrow! No doubt

Blue Lips will bring me to my knees. Anyone bringing a mop?

Welcome RaelNYC, oooooooh I enjoy the way you write. I'll bring the mop if you promise to stay around the stix and keep postin' Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by RaelNYC:

Warsaw in Brooklyn, Begin to Hope. Plastered on Polish beer,

Aaah yes, the Warsaw and the infamous Zywiec, been there done that too:

zywiec.jpg

Welcome to the stix! Cool

I was really eager to hear David Poe's set on March 8, 2002 at fez, featuring his reconfigured band following the relocation of longtime bassist John Abbey to Chicago. The opener was some girl whose name I might have seen once or twice in the listings but who I'd otherwise never heard of. I was prepared to be casually dismissive, expecting some dimeadozen college coffeehouse folkie.

Then she took the mic and started singing this fantastic acapella number. It might have been Ain't No Cover, or possibly Aching to Pupate (I'm sure she sang the latter at some point that night). And 8th Floor. And Samson. And on and on. I was absolutely floored, as was everyone in our little group. We bandied about what are by now all the cliche comparisons (Bjork meets Billie Holliday was my initial rock journo hack assessment), but none of it seemed adequate to me. I honestly felt like I had lucked into something historic--like I was seeing the Beatles at the Cavern (even then, my thoughts were inclined to hyperbole).

I spoke to her briefly after the show and, even though I wasn't able to get a copy of her CD that night (in a sign of things to come, they had sold out within minutes)--or maybe because of that--I was determined to see her play again as soon as possible. Luckily she was playing another show a few days later. And about half the set was stuff she hadn't played at the prior show. And it was pretty much uniformly brilliant. And every successive show for the next few weeks more or less followed that pattern.

Needless to say, I was hooked.

If I've counted up correctly, tomorrow night at Radio City will be the 85th time I've seen Regina play live. And I'm excited as hell.

^^Serge, for me, it clearly wasn't with Reg, but I can relate. It's a pretty crazy and surreal feeling when you discover someone/thing so amazing, so early in the game and you know nothing but huge things are bound for them... and you then proceed to go see them an asinine number of times over the span of years Razzer

quote:
Originally posted by Sgtcampsalot:

^^Serge, for me, it clearly wasn't with Reg, but I can relate. It's a pretty crazy and surreal feeling when you discover someone/thing so amazing, so early in the game and you know nothing but huge things are bound for them... and you then proceed to go see them an asinine number of times over the span of years Razzer

I think we may need to join a support group.

"I look around this room and I see a lot of courage. And that gives me strength."