Sign in to follow this  
Greenyz

So I've gotten my wisdom teeth removed

The day has been pretty painful. I'm really hoping tomorrow will be better. The experience itself wasn't as painful or traumatizing as I thought.

The needles they stick in to your gums to numb your mouth were the the only painful. After that it was pretty pain-free. The first time I heard them saw(?) off my teeth was pretty freaky though. I was screaming a song in my head when they did this.

The regulations you have to follow to make sure your wounds heal fast made my day really annoying. Once the medication wore off the pain was pretty unbearable. It's still hurting right now but I took some meds to help ease the pain.

The biggest thing that bothers me thought is no teeth brushing or rinsing.

The day has been pretty painful. I'm really hoping tomorrow will be better. The experience itself wasn't as painful or traumatizing as I thought.

The needles they stick in to your gums to numb your mouth were the the only painful. After that it was pretty pain-free. The first time I heard them saw(?) off my teeth was pretty freaky though. I was screaming a song in my head when they did this.

The regulations you have to follow to make sure your wounds heal fast made my day really annoying. Once the medication wore off the pain was pretty unbearable. It's still hurting right now but I took some meds to help ease the pain.

The biggest thing that bothers me thought is no teeth brushing or rinsing.

For that short period after getting mine out, I pretty much ignored the suggestions of pain meds [NOTE, i'm talking about basic ones like ibuprofen, tylenol] and took like twice the amount or so. The pain doesn't last too long. I just tried to sleep most of it off.

Greenyz, i'm not quite a dentist yet, but i've told hundreds of people these suggestions while working for the oral surgeon. You can brush your teeth! Just take it easy in the back. And don't rinse/spit vigorously, basically drool the water out. What you are trying to avoid is any significant pressure changes in your mouth that may dislodge the clots. Also, do not smoke, if you smoke I will kill you.

After 48 hours, you can rinse with warm salt water, that'll help them heal quicker. Just don't do it super violently for the first 5 days. Basically, the whole idea is that clots form in the holes and you WANT to keep them in there. Otherwise you will get a dry socket, which will pretty much send you crying back to your doctor.

If they didn't give you any prescription pain meds, I would say take 3 ibuprofen 3 times a day for at least 3 days. I would really not advise taking more than the recommended dose of Tylenol b/c it can kill you, literally, if you do.

The other thing, maybe by tomorrow you will start feeling decent. Make sure though to just continue resting and not doing a bunch of stuff, b/c you will pay the next day. This is why, often, people's 3rd day out is their worst day pain-wise.

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

I would say take 3 ibuprofen 3 times a day for at least 3 days. I would really not advise taking more than the recommended dose of Tylenol b/c it can kill you, literally, if you do.

eek... Well damn. I should just attach a disclaimer to all my posts: Heeding advice may potentially end life.

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

Just take it easy in the back.

Hmmm... i wonder why the dentists tell you not to brush at all? i guess they're playin it safe, but that's kind of murder for those of us with noses...

.P.S. that's what she said...........

quote:
Originally posted by Sgtcampsalot:

eek... Well damn. I should just attach a disclaimer to all my posts: Heeding advice may potentially end life.

lol! sounds good.

i'm actually proud of myself for knowing that Tylenol can be fatal, because about a year or so ago, they ran a really serious commercial about how taking more than reccommended won't make the pain any better than following the directions.

They never explicitly said, "our product can kill you", but it's fairly obvious that people were dying from it, or at least in danger. The commercial ended with "Be safe" or something lolol

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:Tylenol can be fatal

Ah yes, the liver factor...

I actually find that fact particularly funny, though, because of the scene in Scrubs, as follows:

"I just paged you because I didn't know what dosage Tylenol to give her."

"IT'S TYLENOL! Ya grab a handful, throw it at her, and whatever sticks, THAT'S the dosage!"