Sign in to follow this  
Be like the water, people.

Regina Song Recommendations

So i ran some searches, and was surprised that there isn't a thread devoted to reg song recommendations for newer fans, or to use to introduce reg to potential fans.

I remember when i first got into regina and found a list of all her songs. i was really overwhelmed and could certainly have used a guiding hand in which songs i'd be most likely to "get". some felt over my head, while others were simply unimpressive. i think that if someone already familiar with the music had been there to kind of direct me or recommend a couple songs, it would've helped me out a lot Razzer

Anyway, so i don't think there's any set list of songs that are "good" or "Bad" to start off with, but i think that your personal taste in music (and why you like what you like) is a safe indicator

idk. i just think we should have some sort of referrence point for newer fans who maybe feel a little intimidated by the spektography (?)

So, for example, i like rock music because of the intensiity. as a result, i'd say that it's a safe bet that i'd like Dulce Est Decorum, Blue Lips, and probably Back of a Truck..

or if you got into Regina because you found her cuteness irresistable, then i'd recommend you check out Raindrops, Bear Spektor, Uncle Bobby, and Ne Me Quitte Pas

so i guess this can be a thread where

1 newer fans can feel free to ask for some help

2 older fans can share about what they like about certain songs (sometimes that's all it takes for someone to start loving it, too!)

3 we can compare different aspect of songs and generally discuss them. following discussion is a good way to figure out what songs are most suitable at the moment for whatever purose you have in mind

i'm still a little groggy from my all-nighter last night, so sorry if this isn't very concise Red Face

So i ran some searches, and was surprised that there isn't a thread devoted to reg song recommendations for newer fans, or to use to introduce reg to potential fans.

I remember when i first got into regina and found a list of all her songs. i was really overwhelmed and could certainly have used a guiding hand in which songs i'd be most likely to "get". some felt over my head, while others were simply unimpressive. i think that if someone already familiar with the music had been there to kind of direct me or recommend a couple songs, it would've helped me out a lot Razzer

Anyway, so i don't think there's any set list of songs that are "good" or "Bad" to start off with, but i think that your personal taste in music (and why you like what you like) is a safe indicator

idk. i just think we should have some sort of referrence point for newer fans who maybe feel a little intimidated by the spektography (?)

So, for example, i like rock music because of the intensiity. as a result, i'd say that it's a safe bet that i'd like Dulce Est Decorum, Blue Lips, and probably Back of a Truck..

or if you got into Regina because you found her cuteness irresistable, then i'd recommend you check out Raindrops, Bear Spektor, Uncle Bobby, and Ne Me Quitte Pas

so i guess this can be a thread where

1 newer fans can feel free to ask for some help

2 older fans can share about what they like about certain songs (sometimes that's all it takes for someone to start loving it, too!)

3 we can compare different aspect of songs and generally discuss them. following discussion is a good way to figure out what songs are most suitable at the moment for whatever purose you have in mind

i'm still a little groggy from my all-nighter last night, so sorry if this isn't very concise Red Face

I think they should just grab Soviet Kitsch and Begin to Hope and listen, that's what I did. And then after, you'll absorb everything else easily. Smiler I think it's maybe better to listen to those older recordings of other songs later because when you're introducing yourself to some artist I think it's better to hear some good quality sound first. Someone who's new should also go check out beautiful youtube goodies ( like Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo etc )because her charm is hard to resist. Smiler It was when I saw those performances that I completely fell in love.

Before Regina I didn't listen to singer/songwriters and I thought I didn't like female voices. It took just one song to change that Big Grin From personal experience - How to convert those who think they will never like Regina: Oedipus, Consequence of Sounds and On the Radio.

I've always thought that Oedipus is quite possibly the last song I'd try and convert

people with. I always suspected that when she said, on the cover of Mary Ann, sometimes

we love them and sometimes we hate them, about the songs, that was one she'd had in mind

for the hate thoughts. Of course, I love that song, it's a fave.

I'm proud of you for putting it first on the list for conversion. You have nerve.

After the concert, the next morning, I was late for work, getting dressed, and I looked

at a CD sleeve laying around, one of the photos of her from Begin to Hope, and I said

to it, you got a lotta of nerve, you do. So, stranded on a desert island with only

one Regina song. I gotta pick Lounge. To prepare to answer this thread, after a long

work week on what will be a lazy Friday night, I did a trio thing I do sometimes,

I played Bon Idee, Lounge, and Lulliby, from Songs. These three songs always struck me

as somehow similar. The other songs on that album that aren't on other albums seem to fit

in with them also, The Pickle Song, Aching to Pupate and Ne Me Quitte Pas. The five of these

songs have a flavour that seems to convey the era of her life whenever she wrote them.

I've been pondering the notion of what songs could grab people for years now. And also the

puzzle of why the corporate radio hasn't played her, but I'll leave that one alone for now.

There are the categories of her songs. Storytelling is rife through all of them,

but I have to use the word for a category. The most 'accessible' storytelling songs?

Mary Ann and Love Affair I think are quite special. I've always loved the most out there

stuff, Daniel Cowman and Pavlovs Daughter. Good for mass consumption. Chemo Limo.

Sailor Song. Human of the Year. Twenty Years of Snow. What? You went into the kitchen cupboard got yourself another hour... The kids go sleddin down snow covered slopes. Don't mind me, I love to write. This reply is faltering, so I'm getting to the point before I embarrass myself further. Two Birds. Play Two Birds over and over and over again on the freaking radio and then we can see her in Giants Stadium. Yeah, that's it. Back when there were singles. What's the second single? One More Time With Feeling, of course. I was gonna subdivide some more, but it's all storytelling. I'd like to see her do Lady.

Peace Y'all

Definitely throw Begin to Hope and Soviet Kitsch at them, and see what sticks. Also her rapping songs (Consequence of S. and Pavlov's D.) tend to be big hits cuz they are underground and weird but really catchy.

I have burned tons of introductory Regina CDs for my friends and the biggest obscure hits are: Bobbing for Apples, Ghost of Corporate Future, Baby Jesus, and Ne Me Quitte Pas

thanks for contributing, guys!

Jared, i got really excited abt your post, because i totally started something really similar to that about a month before leaving for college! i found it harder than i expcted to classify songs (probably because it's impossible to be objective with a regina song)

So, i agree that SK and BTH are generally good ways to introduce regina to people, but i think it would be cool to consider specific types of tastes and preferences in music, and kind of classify certain songs accordingly

like my friend Alea is really into Orwell's novel 1984. she said it made her cry. So, right away i pulled out my mp3 player to play her Machine. she's borrowed far(t) from me, and she says she's gonna really listen to the song. i'm pretty excited, because i think that will be a special connection for her, and make regina something other than a random artist i happen to be obsessed with! Wink

All I can say is crank the bass up a lot and listen to Riot Gear!!!!!

Riot gear is the coolest song ever made.. and my most favorite regina song!!!! Extra bass is the key to enjoying to it to the fullest though and the lyrics are genius!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhh