Sign in to follow this  
Be like the water, people.

Regina Song Recommendations

Poor Little Rich Boy, tell them that she plays it with a drumstick on a chair or possibly show them a video and they're gonna think it's pretty cool. Hotel Song seems like a good intro song.

Loveology because it's just the best song ever!

quote:
Originally posted by RaelNYC:

I've always thought that Oedipus is quite possibly the last song I'd try and convert

people with. I always suspected that when she said, on the cover of Mary Ann, sometimes

we love them and sometimes we hate them, about the songs, that was one she'd had in mind

for the hate thoughts. Of course, I love that song, it's a fave.

I'm proud of you for putting it first on the list for conversion. You have nerve.

It's true - Oedipus was the song that converted me. From various discussion I got the feeling that Lounge is one of the less popular songs yet it's your favourite. So, I guess we both have a nerve.

It'd be interesting to hear Lilly's input on this since I noticed you have pretty much the same taste in music (I feel like a stalker now...)

Still, I think it's impossible to predict which song will speak to someone and which will not even if you consider taste similarities.

Well, upon further listening (Did Mary Ann Meets the Gravediggers last night, which

I haven't done in a while) I'm second guessing Lounge. It's just too short to be stuck

on a desert island with. Have to take Daniel Cowman maybe. Or whatever is her longest

song to date. I'll take that.

I don't think the quirkier-lyricked ("In words ending with "ic," add K before a suffix! Examples: frolicked, colicky, picnicker" Ten free cookies to anyone who can tell me what movie that's from) songs are the place to start. Interesting-yet-followable melodies tend to draw in new fans: "The Call," "Fidelity," "Ne Me Quitte Pas," "One More time with Feeling," "Blue Lips," "Eet."

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

Jared, i got really excited abt your post, because i totally started something really similar to that about a month before leaving for college! i found it harder than i expcted to classify songs (probably because it's impossible to be objective with a regina song)

Really? No way! I've always wanted to break down my entire iPod into a classification system with different tones and themes making up unique categories but its just such a big undertaking.

And I agree with you that its important to consider specific musical tastes when putting together a Regina Song Starter Pack, despite the broad generalization in my above post.

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

Still, I think it's impossible to predict which song will speak to someone and which will not even if you consider taste similarities.

I think when starting out, say making a mix CD for someone not familiar with her music, that I pick songs that wouldn't necessarily "speak" to someone. Early in the game I think it's more important to pick her more mainstream, upbeat, "catchier" songs. This is how the addiction starts with most artists, after they get obsessed with the songs you gave em they will have built an appreciation for her and look up more of her "odd" stuff. That's how it started with me at least.

Ive made countless mixed cd's for friends and I usually throw about 4 regina songs on em, along with other artists.

I say put 3 of her main songs to get em hooked and then the 4th should be more "emotional" and less known.

My usual pick 3 choices:

Fidelity

Hotel Song

The Calculation

On the Radio

That Time

Better

Edit

Music Box

Us

The Call

Other Song:

Dance Anthem

Consequence of Sound

Poor Little Rich Boy

Ode To Divorce

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

WELCOME TO THE STIX!!! Big GrinBig Grin

I'm Briana! what should we call you? (sorry if you've allready posted the introductory info elsewhere and i'm just being slow..)

Nice to meet you, Briana. I actually haven't posted there yet--you can call me Andrew Smiler.

quote:
Originally posted by Me Myself:

Find a good recording of "Aquarius." It's something of an artistic credo and her most personal song.

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!! Welcome to Brumstix!!!!! so glad for another newcomer to our wonderful little community!!!!! My name is Brady and its freaking sweet to see you here on the Stix! I am known for my enthusiasm about regina and pretty much everything else too........you will like it here so glad that you joined Smiler