Sign in to follow this  
Reginaoverdose

Song you have related and connected to the most?

I feel like everyone has that one Regina song that has spoken to them and their lives more than any other song of hers.

A song you feel really connected to, maybe the lyrics or emotions evoked speak to a situation you've experienced. Maybe it touched you at one part of your life or maybe it helps you through something or reminds you of a person you know. I want to know which song that is for you and why it is this song.

I feel like everyone has that one Regina song that has spoken to them and their lives more than any other song of hers.

A song you feel really connected to, maybe the lyrics or emotions evoked speak to a situation you've experienced. Maybe it touched you at one part of your life or maybe it helps you through something or reminds you of a person you know. I want to know which song that is for you and why it is this song.

I would choose School Is Out. For various reasons. The whole drama behind the demo tape happened when I was about to graduate high school. The first time I heard the song and read the lyrics I cried. After 2 horrible years a certain High School I transferred and had the 2 most amazing years at Millbrook High School Smiler Leaving was really painful, I still felt (and feel) so young and not prepared to go. It was ending and it felt incomplete.

School is out

And I walk the empty hallways

I walk alone

Alone as always

(I can relate, I felt alone and felt like I was the only one who didn't feel ready to leave. Everyone was excited and I remember going and staying after school late and the hallways being creepily empty)

Theres so many lucky pennies

Lying on the floor

But where the hell are all the lucky people

I cant see them any more

And theres such a nasty smell

In the bathroom

The people float by

While the toilets are flushing

And theres all this shit written on the bathroom wall

With a leaky pen

And Lisa loves Jason

Oh, Jason loves Ben

(Sometimes I felt like people were literally just floating by me. And of course reading the shit written on the bathroom walls was always fun. Full of "gossip")

And a letter from Michigan

Is sittin on my desk

And I remember one thought

But I forget all the rest

(I feel like it is a college letter. I remember mine coming in and setting them on my dresser. And the end of the year was so hectic, I couldn't remember everything I had to do. Just the fact that it was so strange to be leaving)

And the ice cream is melted

And dripping down my neck

And my bottles standing on the edge of the table

And I think its in the mood to brea-a-a-a-k

Me, just brea-a-a-a-k

Me, just, just break me

(You really do feel on edge at this time in your life. Being 18 and leaving everything you know. I felt like the ice cream was childhood and it was melting away. That's what it feels like end of senior year)

And I messed myself up again

Nobody really cares

I wish I could just have some time

To play with my old teddy bear

And maybe I could go

To teddy bear heaven

Just like her

Cause well, she went when she was eleven

(Once again, childhood is leaving)

But I stayed late

Cause I cant understand physics

(Ohhh passing those final classes when you are so lazy and tired)

I dont want to go home

And cook myself dinner

Or look in the mirror

That big, fat mirror

That swallows me up in a corridor

Oh, just swallows me whole

(It ends up feeling like the same cycle over and over)

And ga-gangles a robber

And ga-gangles the gun

And ga-gangles the bittersweet

Judgmental nun

Ga-ganles the gun

And ga-gangles the purse

And ga-gangles the over-fucked

Registered nu-u-u-urse

Me, just nu-u-u-urse

Me, just, just nurse me

(gangles means awkward? Yea, everything gets a bit awkward)

School is out

And I walk the empty hallways

I walk alone

Alone as always

There's so many lucky pennies

Lying on the floor

But where the hell are all the lucky people

Where the hell are all the lucky people

I can't see them

A-a-any more

(The people I know are soon going to dissapear)

I also am connected with this because it is from her demo tape which she wrote and recorded when she was about 18 or 19. (I'm 18) And I feel like this song captures perfectly my experience of ending high school.

For me, it would have to be "Man of a Thousand Faces." For some reason, that song just truly makes me feel as if she is singing about me. Perhaps it's because I'm the type to smile at the moon like he knows her, being a hopeless dreamer who embraces the unknowable majesty of the cosmos, while be begins his quiet ascension...

Perhaps it's because I do honestly love literature enough to stealthily snatch my favorite pages out of a bookstore (though I haven't done that yet, I swear)...

Or perhaps it's simply because the title draws out the many facets of my being. Either way, I feel as if this song is essentially my soul in auditory format.

And good, good truly is better than perfect...you can always adapt and improve "good..." But "perfect" is stagnant and unchanging. Perfect is the extinction of spirit. Perfect is oblivion.

^Yeah, I have to agree with you on Man of a Thousand Faces, although I connected more with an interpretation of the song rather than the song itself. I'll try and find it later, but right now I have Lost to watch with me Mother! Big Grin

i really like your post, Alicia. it was really heartfelt.

i think the song i connect with the most is Ink Stains. it really brought the hollocaust off of the history book pages, and made me feel something about it. It stopped being about some crazy guy who hated 90% of humanity, and really focused on the injustice, the inhumanity of the event. And in a way, i felt like /i/ was a hollocaust denier, because i'd never truly acknowledged how monstrous it was.

So, yeah.. ink stains brough the hollocaust to life for me.

as far as my own life, there's no one song.

i think there are times when i'll have to skip certain regina songs, because there's a particular line that i know will just evoke the worst feelings, because i'm preoccupied with something...

like when i was fighting with my best friend, i couldn't even listen to Better, because of

"born like sisters to this world

in a town where blood ties are only blood"...

come to think of it, the entire song would've made me break down; every line. it was too easy to relate to how we were toegether, how i've always felt about her, how hard it was to be apart for so long. But there's no one song i can point to and say, "that's me".

Definitely One More Time With Feeling because I know what it's like to try hard to be respected by someone just to end up back at square one... it's about how much heart you put into your role and how much you make it your own, people will eventually like you for who you are... Breathings just a rhythm, life can be simple Smiler

There's nothing wrong with that, E.J! if it's regina, it's regina; just because one song happened to be selected as her single, and happened to take off, doesn't negate its legitimacy (for lack of a better word)

i love Fidelity, too! in fact, i've had a weird "relationship" with it, since the first thing i loved was the sound and melody, rather than the lyrics, unlike most of Reg's work. But ove time, i'm starting to appreciate it just like all of the other songs i hold dear! Wink

P.S. i tend to make my posts waaay too long....

The song I've connected with most is Ghost of Corporate Future.

"People are just people they shouldn't make you nervous. The world is everlasting it's coming and it's going."

This is the most important phrase. I love it so much.

" Put dirtballs in your pocket and take off both your shoes. People are just people people are just people like you."

"Maybe you should just cut your own hair cause that can be so funny, it doesn't cost any money and it always grows back it grows even after you're dead."

Wow. I love this song so much.