Sign in to follow this  
Anthony Minsky

Why does she dazzle us so much?

I thought it might be fun to see if I could spark some interest on this subject. Since I'm on this site, I trust that I am sharing with fellow maniacs who feel similar to how I feel.Smiler Anyway, can you capture in words just what it is about Regina Spektor that puts such a spell on us? I feel that it's a combo of many things, but I'm sure everyone agrees that it's especially her music that does it. But just what is it about the music that's so captivating? I'm kind of a late comer to Regina. My introduction to her was hearing her perform 'Fidelity' on one of the late night talk shows about 2 or 3 yrs ago. Funny cuz a lot of people say that that song is one of her most radio friendly, commercial sounding songs. Well, whether that's true or not, that's the one that first hooked me in. I knew I was listening to something new and different. It made me want to explore more. I think the next one was Apres Moi, then Samson. By that time I was like, holy cow!! who is this woman. From there it didn't take me long to end up loving everything. I could go on about this forever, so I'm just gonna share a couple thoughts and leave room for anyone else who wants to comment. The other day I thought of a good word that describes her music: 'Daring'. To me her music is so different that it was almost unsafe to even do it. Risky. I love that about her the most. People always compare her to all the Tori's and the Bjork types, lumping her in with other kind of odd quirky female artists, and while I like some of those peoples music, comparisons never even popped in my head when I first heard Regina. To me if those other women are called cutting edge and different, in my opinion Regina is even more different. I feel that Regina is alone out there with what she's created. She's one of a kind. She's like her own little genre. She went out on a limb with something brand new and it worked. And it's not just a lucky song or two. Her whole catalogue is great. She's so creative, nothing sounds the same. When 'far' came out, it just solidified my love. I couldn't believe how different and fresh each song was from each other. Anyway, I've got a billion more things to gush about but it's 3 in the morning and I'm an idiot for not being asleep already. This site is so great. It's frustrating to NOT talk about Regina. I feel like I can vent on here and not worry about embarrassing myself. Smiler

Love you all. Goodnight.

Come on bartender, be a little more tender

I thought it might be fun to see if I could spark some interest on this subject. Since I'm on this site, I trust that I am sharing with fellow maniacs who feel similar to how I feel.Smiler Anyway, can you capture in words just what it is about Regina Spektor that puts such a spell on us? I feel that it's a combo of many things, but I'm sure everyone agrees that it's especially her music that does it. But just what is it about the music that's so captivating? I'm kind of a late comer to Regina. My introduction to her was hearing her perform 'Fidelity' on one of the late night talk shows about 2 or 3 yrs ago. Funny cuz a lot of people say that that song is one of her most radio friendly, commercial sounding songs. Well, whether that's true or not, that's the one that first hooked me in. I knew I was listening to something new and different. It made me want to explore more. I think the next one was Apres Moi, then Samson. By that time I was like, holy cow!! who is this woman. From there it didn't take me long to end up loving everything. I could go on about this forever, so I'm just gonna share a couple thoughts and leave room for anyone else who wants to comment. The other day I thought of a good word that describes her music: 'Daring'. To me her music is so different that it was almost unsafe to even do it. Risky. I love that about her the most. People always compare her to all the Tori's and the Bjork types, lumping her in with other kind of odd quirky female artists, and while I like some of those peoples music, comparisons never even popped in my head when I first heard Regina. To me if those other women are called cutting edge and different, in my opinion Regina is even more different. I feel that Regina is alone out there with what she's created. She's one of a kind. She's like her own little genre. She went out on a limb with something brand new and it worked. And it's not just a lucky song or two. Her whole catalogue is great. She's so creative, nothing sounds the same. When 'far' came out, it just solidified my love. I couldn't believe how different and fresh each song was from each other. Anyway, I've got a billion more things to gush about but it's 3 in the morning and I'm an idiot for not being asleep already. This site is so great. It's frustrating to NOT talk about Regina. I feel like I can vent on here and not worry about embarrassing myself. Smiler

Love you all. Goodnight.

Come on bartender, be a little more tender

I've tried so hard to formulate a worthy response to this excellent topic, but it is simply beyond me. Regina transcends description, definition, and especially comparison with other artists (as you so truthfully expressed yourself). Whatever it is that she has, it is impossible to address in mere words. But she is absolutely bewitching, there's no doubt about that.

It was "Fidelity" that got me, too; I was even more of a latecomer than you were. I saw the music video for the first time on Youtube around six months ago. I then knew that I had discovered something unique, something special, something I would cherish and hold dear. I had never felt the way I did after I saw that video before in my life, and it was a profound and strange feeling. I know I'm coming off as one of those psychos that compare hearing their favorite musicians to religious experiences, but there's really no other way I can come close to expressing how Regina makes me feel. What it boils down to, I suppose, is that she has an overwhelming spirit and the talent to express it effectively.

It also helps that she's extremely intelligent, well-read, compassionate, has a truly unique sense of humor, and just seems to know how to speak directly to the soul.

Whatever it is she's doing to us, it's working.

Holy cow!! Holy frickin' cow!!!! You put it better than I thought I did. Here are some of my favorite things you said: 'it is simply beyond me';'transcends description', definition, comparison'; 'Impossible to address'; 'bewitching' (I love that one!) Smiler. Henry, I don't know what to say. You said so many good things. What you call unable to describe is probably the best way to describe it. Other good expressions of yours: 'strange feeling'; 'hold dear'; 'religious experience'; 'overwhelming'; While saying you didn't know how to describe it, you described it wonderfully. I agree with every piece of what you said. I KNEW this would be a good subject!! Thank you Henry Gale! In my book, you are an official Regina lover who understands what she does to us right down to the bone!!

Your words are much appreciated, Mr. Minsky, though I must insist that you are the superior Reginologist. I'm quite the fan of your valiant efforts on the battlefield known as Youtube!

Great thread Smiler

I'm an even later comer to the whole Regina Spektor world, and worst of all, I don't really have an excuse. I'm also probably older than a lot of her fans, but I'm quite cut off from the mainsream music system.

However, when I first heard Regina singing, it was also the song 'Fidelity' - on a talk radio station. I liked it enough to make a note of who it was, and then to go and buy the record (BTH). So what was it that was so enchanting?

Firstly, it was the technical side of her singing - she was singing something quite difficult, and making it sound easy and relaxed. Secondly, just the sound of her voice is so wonderful that it made me stop in my tracks. I've got a fondness for female singers, but here was someone who was using her voice in an unusual, but not contrived way.

But I think for me, the biggest thing that hit home was that she is on her own journey, and it's one that she's happy to have everyone come along with. The more I listened to the lyrics, the more of these little references and images I could get hold of. I generally don't like pop/rock lyrics as poetry, but hers were always great. And then I heard Soviet Kitsch for the first time, and the line rang out: "Won't you help a brother out" - so incongruous yet perfect; so funny yet so sad; a cliche used in a brand new way. I think that line (and many others) might be what separates people who understand Regina, and those who write her off as just a 'quirky' singer. When she pushes the envelope, she does it for a reason, and she does it poetically, not for the sake of being unusual.

Of course, after all this high mindedness, it doesn't hurt that she's gorgeous Cool

See, I saw Fidelity and I didn't immediately fall in love. I was confused, and I was confused as to people's adoring reactions. I thought it seemed a little bit slick and impassive? I don't know. My opinion has changed completely about the song since hearing the live version and such, and I've since grown to love the album version as well. I heard it, and then I kind of filed it away in my mind, I wasn't really too fond of it.

For me, it was Us and Apres Moi that did it. I sat completely mesmerized watching the video for Us over and over and over again. And I knew I had stumbled on something beautiful, something amazing. The next video I saw was the Apres Moi at Lollapalooza and that was it. I was smitten. I listened to Apres Moi and Us over and over and over and over again. My parents thought I had gone nuts. From there, my collection and my love grew.

I still don't know what gives people such a strong reaction to not only her music, but to her as a person. If I question it, it only makes me more confused. She is like this deadly concoction of adorable and sheer bad ass that no one can quite put their finger on, but is absolutely compelling nonetheless. And then besides all that, her song writing, which is so brilliant it makes me want to rip my heart out and stomp on it several times. Not really. That would be a little gruesome. What gives Regina fans this cult-like quality? Why are we so compelled to love someone we really hardly know? All I can say is that I am happily living under her spell, and I hope that it's never broken.

Brumstix really is such a one of a kind place. There's always been a family here. Sometimes it feels like you're intruding on a family eating dinner, sometimes it feels like you're part of that family, but wherever you are, and whoever is here, and whoever is new and joining, they're full of all these great thoughts and ideas that are totally fascinating to me. I love Regina for bringing so many cool, interesting people together. I don't even know how to explain...

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

Brumstix really is such a one of a kind place. There's always been a family here. Sometimes it feels like you're intruding on a family eating dinner, sometimes it feels like you're part of that family, but wherever you are, and whoever is here, and whoever is new and joining, they're full of all these great thoughts and ideas that are totally fascinating to me. I love Regina for bringing so many cool, interesting people together. I don't even know how to explain...

I have to say, I only found this place a couple of days ago, and I agree 100% - this is one of the nicest forums on the web, and it's a tribute to Regina that she has such smart and cool fans (er, not necessarily including myself, of course Wink )

quote:
Originally posted by davidh:

Great thread Smiler

I'm an even later comer to the whole Regina Spektor world, and worst of all, I don't really have an excuse. I'm also probably older than a lot of her fans, but I'm quite cut off from the mainsream music system.

However, when I first heard Regina singing, it was also the song 'Fidelity' - on a talk radio station. I liked it enough to make a note of who it was, and then to go and buy the record (BTH). So what was it that was so enchanting?

Firstly, it was the technical side of her singing - she was singing something quite difficult, and making it sound easy and relaxed. Secondly, just the sound of her voice is so wonderful that it made me stop in my tracks. I've got a fondness for female singers, but here was someone who was using her voice in an unusual, but not contrived way.

But I think for me, the biggest thing that hit home was that she is on her own journey, and it's one that she's happy to have everyone come along with. The more I listened to the lyrics, the more of these little references and images I could get hold of. I generally don't like pop/rock lyrics as poetry, but hers were always great. And then I heard Soviet Kitsch for the first time, and the line rang out: "Won't you help a brother out" - so incongruous yet perfect; so funny yet so sad; a cliche used in a brand new way. I think that line (and many others) might be what separates people who understand Regina, and those who write her off as just a 'quirky' singer. When she pushes the envelope, she does it for a reason, and she does it poetically, not for the sake of being unusual.

Of course, after all this high mindedness, it doesn't hurt that she's gorgeous Cool

Being cut off from the mainstream music system is much more of a positive situation than a negative one, my friend. You were exactly where you needed to be, and you found her.

She can indeed so easily sing such difficult songs, and imbue them with a dreamlike quality in the process. Her voice is capable of stopping the very planets where they rotate. She is truly like no other.

I think the sentiment that she is embarking on her own journey is one of the truest things to be said of her. I consider it an honor and a privilege to be one of us lucky ones who understand where she is headed enough to comfortably remain on the boat with her...and yet she can still surprise us, move us, and stop us dead in our tracks on a whim. The poetry of her lyrics is positively stirring and I truly feel sorry for those who cannot see it and instead label her as merely "quirky."

And no, that doesn't hurt at all. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Henry Gale:

Your words are much appreciated, Mr. Minsky, though I must insist that you are the superior Reginologist. I'm quite the fan of your valiant efforts on the battlefield known as Youtube!

Wow!! (Red face)I can get a little crazy on Youtube. On this site I feel like I'm sharing with friends, on Youtube I feel like I'm being preachy. I'll have to say though that Regina gets more positive comments than practically any artist I've looked up. She get's like 90/10 ratio wise. When she gets negative's it's usually pretty nasty (I will never understand those) Her positives though are always so much more then just 'hey, cool song' Regina always gets the 'amazing' changed my life type comments. That's kind of why I brought up this subject in the first place. When she hooks you in, she has such an incredible effect on people. So I guess this is kind of my sociology project. Smiler I love music. It's always been a big part of my life. I am a fanatic about music as a whole, but only a few can I say I've done that by name and get consumed with practically everything they do. Here's the few: The Beatles (obvious pick), a lot of Pink Floyd (also not a hard pick), Frank Sinatra (he's like a singing sunset. I still have yet to find a crappy song) AND Regina Spektor (not an obvious pick!) It blows me away that she blows me away. I hope that makes sense. She's kind of a new artist, kind of unconventional. I understand what people mean when they say 'an acquired taste', cuz she's WAY WAY different. She has created, probably inadvertently, this THING. This unexplainable THING. You can even see it on her face sometimes in concerts. Sometimes I don't think she even realizes the effect she causes in people. Everyone says the music they create comes from their heart, well to me, that's X 100 with Regina. That HAS to be the explanation. And that HAS to be why we love her so much. Of all the people that say they try not to compromise their music and try and do only what they WANT to do. They may do that, but Regina REALLY does that. She's inspiring. Everyone has a specialness in their head. We all wish we could tap it and find a way to express it to others, and prove that it was always there. Regina Spektor is an example of someone who kind of pulled that off. Her music and her demeanor and just the wonderful way about her that we are privileged to see, is an extremely rare example of someone who actually figured out a way to do it. She has let us understand the loveliness of her mind. And THAT is what is so inspiring. I think every human being has something in them capable of having a Regina Spektor type magic. Most people just don't know how to make it known (including me). I'm sure there is a lot more to Regina than just her music, but with her music she sure let us in on a lot more then most are able to do. When she performs, it's like she's playing her diary. We might not always understand her lyrics but you can tell that It's something very intimate and very very personal.

Goodnight, Tony

"Be poetic about how much I suck"