Sign in to follow this  
Anthony Minsky

Why does she dazzle us so much?

Because she is amazing. Smiler

I plan on making a more specific and deep post on this in the future. This is a great topic tony and I can't wait to chime in as well.Smiler

What a brilliant question, and one that has really got people thinking, judging by all the posts above.

For me I think I need to say a bit about my love of music first. I am a huge fan of music of all types - Rock, Pop, Classical, Country, Metal, Punk, Dance, Hip Hop and just about everything in between. I have seen live acts as diverse as Pavarotti, Eminem and Iron Maiden, to name just a few.

Apart from my family, music is the biggest thing in my life. And that is the thing - it is always 100% about the music. I have never been interested in the image or the personalities, always just the music. Some people are drawn to a particular band, artist or genre because of what they stand for or because of the image or lifestyle that they portray.

I was never interested in any of that, until I discovered Regina Spektor. Or more accurately after I discovered Regina, because I heard her sing before I saw her. My first experience of Regina was hearing On the Radio, coincidentally on the radio. Then I heard a session with a few more songs from Begin to Hope. I was immediately hooked by the melodies and the voice. So I got on YouTube and then I saw her. For the first time I was actually drawn to the looks and the image rather than just the music. She looked even more amazing than the voice suggested, and that is quite an achievement!

I started to listen to and watch the various interviews and this confirmed to me that, for the first time, it was about more than just the music. I was interested in everything she had to say no matter how trivial. And the voice, well I could just listen to her talk all day. She could be saying anything about anything and it would sound great.

I’m glad that I heard Regina before I saw her, because I know that I love the music first and that is what’s important after all. But I admit that I have probably become far more obsessed largely because she looks stunning, than I would have through the music alone.

And one final thing, I think the fact she is from New York helps, as I have always had a fascination with the city (I’ll get there some day!) She has quite a few NY references in her songs and she is so enthusiastic about the place in interviews.

Or as an alternative to everything I’ve just said, here’s another vote for ‘because she is amazing’. Smiler

I wholeheartedly agree that the MUSIC is what makes it for me. I don't go in for just the makeup and the outfits and the behavior and the extravaganza. If the music is good, I don't care if they are quiet and shy and nerdy or physically beautiful and flamboyant and are in your face with gimmicks. If the music is good then it's good. BUT. And I say BUT. Never have I seen the beauty of the music, match the beauty of the person as I have with Regina Spektor. She is a physical beauty, her personality is enchanting, and her music is magic. She is all of it rolled up in one. So I get what your saying. While you feel good that your only in it for the music, Regina Spektor happens to just have it all. Rare indeed, but a fact.

Do I have that right?

For me it's not an issue of being *dazzled*, but stirred in my soul by her very best songs. I'll leave the dazzling to Lady Gaga. But songs like "Ode to Divorce", "Man of a Thousand Faces" just have that special something that makes me shiver inside if you know what I mean!

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

For me it's not an issue of being *dazzled*, but stirred in my soul by her very best songs. I'll leave the dazzling to Lady Gaga. But songs like "Ode to Divorce", "Man of a Thousand Faces" just have that special something that makes me shiver inside if you know what I mean!

Yeah, 'dazzle' is weak. Every time I read that I wonder why I used that word. I think I was just trying to start the subject light and not too serious. I say 'us' in the subject heading, so I didn't want to impose my feelings as if I was speaking for others. Dazzle felt safe enough to at least apply to most on this site. But, like you say, it is much deeper.

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007: