Open

Open

Open

Open up

Your eyes

And then...

mmm, lalala

lalala, mmm...

Okay, this song is beautiful, any ideas of the meaning?

okey, I'm kinda obsessed with this song right now! Smiler these are the lyrics:

I am

Down the road and up the hill

I wait for you still

Wires around my fingers

Potentially lovely

Perpetually human

Suspended and open

Open

Open

I am

Through the woods and past the trains

I wait here in vain

Scrubbing out the stains again

Potentially lovely

Perpetually human

Suspended and open

Open

Open

In a night, the snow starts falling

And everybody stares

Through their windows at the streetlights

Too beautiful to see

I (ough) am (ough)

In a room I've built myself (ough)

Four (ough) straight walls (ough)

One floor (ough)

One ceiling

And day after day, I wake up feeling

day after day, I wake up feeling

feeling...

Potentially lovely

Perpetually human

Suspended and open

Open

Open

Open

Open up

Your eyes

And then...

mmm, lalala

lalala, mmm...

Okay, this song is beautiful, any ideas of the meaning?

I don't have an opinion on my own yet, but I've read four possible ones on songmeanings.net.

*This song is from the point of view from the piano Regina had to leave behind in Moscow as a child

*Or it's about the black plague that swept Europe in the 1300's

*or it's about suicide

*or it's about a misunderstood musician/genius

*or it's about a higher power/god

You can read them here .

I could re-tell them from my point of view. But I don't have time right now, so I thought this might start a discussion Smiler

(I'm into the plauge theory for now b/c of the gasping for air, the four walls etc. I don't know which chords "suspended" and "open" are in swedish, so I can't say anything about that. language help?)

yes, I've read those interpretations too...

I think this song is about Jesus Christ.

He is potentially lovely

he is perpetually human

for the "suspended and open" part, made me think of the crucifixion.

and "4 straight walls, one floor, one ceiling" part made me think of the holy sepulchre...

however, some parts of the lyrics don't make sense in this context... (for example, the trains part Razzer) Eeker

^^that's an interresting take, E.J.

that had never crossed my mind (no pun intended)

i agree that it would take a stretch to make it work in a technical sense, but in a weird way, it makes sense.. so maybe the character is a Jesus-esque character?

i like the interpretation of the piano the best so far.

i'll have to keep thinking. this song is good for the chills, and changing your breathing patterns, and just making you feel.

okay. bed now. i have advising sessions, and classes, and russian tutoring, and all kinds-a other crap... Night night!

Oooh, I like the idea of it being from the point of view of her old piano! I think it makes complete and total sense.

"I am

Down the road and up the hill

I wait for you still

Wires 'round my fingers..."

That makes perfect sense in the context of a piano as well. Abandoned, but perpetually waiting.

"Potentially lovely

Perpetually human

Suspended and open

Open..."

It's a lonely little piano, unable reach that level of beauty because there is no one to play it. So it sits, and waits, suspended and open. And call me crazy, but I've always thought of pianos as a bit human. Every single piano I've ever played has a really different personality to me. Some of them are spunky, some of them are a bit more mellow and refined, and some bite, y'know? Some make you work, and some give it away too easy. :P This personification is very Regina.

The piano yearns for it's place back in people's hearts, and yet it will sit, waiting, gathering dust in the room it has been left in.

Maybe instead of the piano Regina left behind, just a piano in a shop that sits in a lonely corner? That might make sense too.

quote:
Originally posted by sweetness in my lungs:

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, and changing your breathing patterns...

yes! you just can't breathe normally when she starts gasping. it's such a strange feeling.

I just read that, it's so true! I always feel a little bit like I'm suffocating.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting of brumstix, I keep thinking, "I'm going to leave NOW and start my day," and then I see another topic I want to reply to, and I think how no one else is awake in my house yet anyhow. So this is me leaving for real this time.

mmmh!!!

Oh you've got incredible - yet complicated -interpretations there.

To me, this song is just about a relationship (love, friendship) from which you're waiting something but it never comes, so you remain locked up in your room, and you travel in mind. And in fact, no matter where you would go, you would still be waiting for the person to come back. And that huge feeling of love goes on all the time, but actually paralyzes your life.

Makes sense?

Well, this may seem sort of generic, but I think it's about Anne Frank. She seems to write a lot about the holocaust, and this one seems to fit to Anne Frank a lot, in my opinion.

So lets start with

"I am down the road and up the hill.

I wait for you still

Wires around my fingers

Potentially lovely, perpetually human"

I believe here "down the road and up the hill" is somewhere so close, but far as well, such as a Concentration camp. And perhaps she's waiting by the fence for someone she lost, hence wires around my fingers. In the Anne Frank movie, she stands there with her fingers wrapped around the fence, if you want to refer to that.

"Potentially lovely, perpetually human."

This is the ideas during the holocaust, (I guess) That she can never be truley lovely because she will always be human, and human is imperfect.

"I am through those woods

And past the trains.

I wait here in vain

scrubbing out the stains again"

Concentraition camps were normally in a secluded place, perhaps in a forest, and the Jews were brought there by train.

She's waiting in vain, again, for maybe someone who can help her, or someone to come get her and take her away. In the concentration camps the Jews had to do jobs and things, such as scrubbing the floor. Anne most likely had to do chores like this. (Im not an expert, just someone trying to explain the song)

"I am in the room I've built myself.

Four. Straight walls.

One floor, one ceiling

Day after day I wake up feeling

Potentially lovely, perpetually human.

Suspended and open."

This part I believe is Anne thinking its her fault that she's here, which it isn't. "The room she built herself" is something she could have prevented, or done differently, even though that isn't true. We also know that Anne died of pneumonia, which might explian the wonderful gasps for breath in this song.

Lastly, "Suspended and Open" means to me that she has no secrets any more. Noting to hide, she is "suspended and open" so that everyone can see who she is.

I hope you guys sort of agree with my song break down. Im sort of new at this. "Open" really is a beautiful song, though. Feel free to tell me what you think, whether you agree or disagree.

Wow. I never thought of it being related to the Holocaust, but your arguments are comprehensible. "Scrubbing out the stains again" might be the tattoo that every prisoner gets when he reaches the Concentration Camp. She wants to get rid of it and with it rid of her current situation.