A cooler version of myself

A cooler version of my dad

A crueler version in my mind

I pull away when you're inside

I pull away when you're insiiiiii-iiiiiiiiiiiide

-Ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide, -ide

So young

And drunk

So young

And drunk

So young

And drunk

So young

And drunk

Big Grin

i love love love love this song. it's very high on my "reg song that never get old and sound like i'm hearing it for the first time and at the same time seems like i know it for a lifetime" list.

Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by grantsnx:

probably one of regina's most straight-forward songs.

I get that now, but at first, this song was probably my most elaborately misinterpreted songs ever. In fact, my original understanding of it's meaning didn't even include sex. haha

Initially, I thought this song was about a horrible/alcoholic parent. One night the daughter is either forced to, or wants to go out with Dad. Then the daughter ends up going along on the father's drinking binge. During the night, the kid partook of liquor in an attempt to be like the Dad (a cooler version of my dad) and then either retreated to or was relegated to the car out in the parking lot. Therefore, the "i lie down here until i die/ i fall asleep while you're inside" was referring to the kid feeling wretched and sleeping in the car while the father is in the bar. Essentially, the night the daughter thought would be cool and fun, or quality time with dad, where she expected to come off as so mature, doing what Dad does, turned out to be boring and horrible. Evidentally she concludes that drinking is no fun, and also she comes to realize that her father's lifestyle is not cool nor glamorous. And I always pictured the "i pull away while your inside" to be her literally driving the car away leaving him. However, it seems to fit figuratively as well, she "pulls away" emotionally by refusing to support and condone his behavior by not even waiting for him to stumble out drunk. I always kind of imagined it as a 1950s type setting where she drives away in this huge boat-like caddy.

yeah so...anyway... sex is boring? especially while young and drunk?

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

quote:
Originally posted by grantsnx:

probably one of regina's most straight-forward songs.

I get that now, but at first, this song was probably my most elaborately misinterpreted songs ever. In fact, my original understanding of it's meaning didn't even include sex. haha

Initially, I thought this song was about a horrible/alcoholic parent. One night the daughter is either forced to, or wants to go out with Dad. Then the daughter ends up going along on the father's drinking binge. During the night, the kid partook of liquor in an attempt to be like the Dad (a cooler version of my dad) and then either retreated to or was relegated to the car out in the parking lot. Therefore, the "i lie down here until i die/ i fall asleep while you're inside" was referring to the kid feeling wretched and sleeping in the car while the father is in the bar. Essentially, the night the daughter thought would be cool and fun, or quality time with dad, where she expected to come off as so mature, doing what Dad does, turned out to be boring and horrible. Evidentally she concludes that drinking is no fun, and also she comes to realize that her father's lifestyle is not cool nor glamorous. And I always pictured the "i pull away while your inside" to be her literally driving the car away leaving him. However, it seems to fit figuratively as well, she "pulls away" emotionally by refusing to support and condone his behavior by not even waiting for him to stumble out drunk. I always kind of imagined it as a 1950s type setting where she drives away in this huge boat-like caddy.

yeah so...anyway... sex is boring? especially while young and drunk?

that's a much more interesting interpretation of this song than my own! (like many, I think it's about someone who is young and drunk and having crappy sex)

though I wanna add, like you say, "I pull away when you're inside" could be literally or figuratively. I always thought of it as "pulling away emotionally" while he's inside her...which sounds so morbid in a way, to be completely emotionally withdrawn and vacant during "the climax" of what was supposed to be an act of..love.