Sign in to follow this  
Reginaoverdose

Mental Images during songs.

When I listen to Regina songs, there are certain lines that put a mental visual image in my head because of her beautiful discriptions and characterizations. I want you to post pictures of those mental images and the line of the song that brings this into your mind. It can be a literal interpretation or a feeling or less concrete interpretation.... Like a landscape or painting Smiler Give a little description of why you chose what you did. If you can't find a photo then just give a typed description of the scene you see in your head. Or maybe you have come across what you think Mary Ann looks like or Lucile or Karl Projektorinski or the Man of a Thousand faces or the child who finds the dime (is it a boy or girl?) Let's see what is inside each others heads and discuss! Wink

Two examples I've come across so far.

"Miss Mary Ann preferred her meat to be freshly butchured"

2ds4xgo.jpg

I picture Mary Ann to be someone from the late 50's with brunette bobbed hair stuck in conformity and her middle class ways. I never picture the murder being done, more like I know it's happening but it's more concealed like in "Psycho" where you never really see it. Mary Ann has an apron on and her husband never sees it coming in the shadows. This is perfect!

"summer in the city, I’m so lonely lonely lonely"

2hrfi4h.jpg

For me, this painting seems to capture the sense of loneliness that that man must of felt that summer in the city.

When I listen to Regina songs, there are certain lines that put a mental visual image in my head because of her beautiful discriptions and characterizations. I want you to post pictures of those mental images and the line of the song that brings this into your mind. It can be a literal interpretation or a feeling or less concrete interpretation.... Like a landscape or painting Smiler Give a little description of why you chose what you did. If you can't find a photo then just give a typed description of the scene you see in your head. Or maybe you have come across what you think Mary Ann looks like or Lucile or Karl Projektorinski or the Man of a Thousand faces or the child who finds the dime (is it a boy or girl?) Let's see what is inside each others heads and discuss! Wink

Two examples I've come across so far.

"Miss Mary Ann preferred her meat to be freshly butchured"

2ds4xgo.jpg

I picture Mary Ann to be someone from the late 50's with brunette bobbed hair stuck in conformity and her middle class ways. I never picture the murder being done, more like I know it's happening but it's more concealed like in "Psycho" where you never really see it. Mary Ann has an apron on and her husband never sees it coming in the shadows. This is perfect!

"summer in the city, I’m so lonely lonely lonely"

2hrfi4h.jpg

For me, this painting seems to capture the sense of loneliness that that man must of felt that summer in the city.

This is a profoundly interesting topic and I'm quite elated that you've managed to concoct such a brilliant idea to share with us here!

Your idea of the perilous Mary Ann scenario is sublime perfection in all its Hitchcockian glory. The images that song conjure in my own mind are very similar, and I quite agree that the murder should be "concealed," which makes its ramifications all the more psychological. I love that picture so much!

As for the image you used to depict the loneliness stressed in "Summer in the City," I feel a little more alone myself just from looking at it. I tip my hat to the artist for creating such an effective work.

A mental image of my own that strikes me in particular at the moment is what I envision whenever I listen to "The Man of a Thousand Faces." I doubt there is an accurate image out there that can represent it adequately, so I must resort to illustrating it with mere words:

I picture a man, dressed fancifully and all in black, seated at a table of immaculate white in a matching chair. His kitchen is primarily darkened, but there is, of course, brilliant silvery light pouring in from a window...perhaps his furnishings appear so "perfect" to illustrate a certain "perfection" he has worked to enforce in his life, having not quite learned that good is indeed better than perfect. A dark trilby hat is atop his head, and his face is merely a blank, as flawless as the table before him. Why exactly I picture the subject of "The Man of a Thousand Faces" as a faceless entity is beyond me, but I suspect there is a metaphorical slant on the matter...or perhaps he is like the shape-shifting bounty hunters from Critters, who are first introduced with similar mannequin-like heads that are shown to be able to assume the physical features of any humanoid they observe, making our subject a literal man of a thousand faces. Regardless of the purpose behind his enigmatic visage, he is indeed smiling at the moon like he knows her...well, smiling in his own featureless way...staring up appreciatively out the window adjacent to his table as that beautiful silver orb greets him with its especially bright, lingering fingers that dance in pale blue splendor upon the surface of that table...my mind interprets the line about eating a small lump of sugar as the man simply dropping a lump of sugar into his tea, which he stirs as he looks up at that captivating satellite crowning the night sky...I do indeed wish there was an appropriate visual to accompany this, but I hopefully conveyed the basics to you.

Every time I hear braille, I think of this photograph form the dust bowl. I don't know why. I just do. I actually saw this photo in my history book and thought of Braille.

lange_migrant_mother.jpg

Also when I think of Sword and Pen I think of two scholars. Really old timey intellectual steretypes. You know. The scene is black and white. One man with vibrant crimson blood on his hands. A scholar is dead on the ground with a golden pen sticking out of his neck. The dead man is lying on a mess of fallen papers and books for only the most intellectual of men. The air is thick. The pen becomes the sword. If this makes any sense. Big Grin

VERY solid thread.

When listening to Blue Lips. The color scheme is admittedly a tad affected [it's in a blue hue... though much like the "real world" in The Matrix]. Then when you mix in the images of "assembly lines, knowledge tree, and picket fences", it gets very very emotional.

Machine, there's a really great picture that I'm reminded of. Very austere, somber, sad, not being your own person, but created and run by another power:

Angst_on_an_Assembly_Line_by_E_X_O_G_E_N.jpg

wow! bravo, Alicia for an awesome thread idea, and also to everyone who's contributed. Henry (baby jesus), your sword and pen interp. really brought that song to life for me!

For Folding Chair, i've never really felt happy, or optimistic from it. there was always something ominous about it. The water seemed uninviting, the sky gray, the wind blowing a little too harshly, and a lone woman in a beach chair sits by herself, she's a little creepy, since her eyes are shadowed.

foldingchairbeach.jpg

"Better" - That song gives me images more than any other. When she says "If I kiss you where it's sore, would you feel better?" I picture the most beautiful, understanding person there could ever be. I can't say it gives me thoughts of beaches or lakes or something like that, but I think of a life that has a person that gets me. In all my weirdnesses and with all my not like myselfnesses, A person maybe existing that actually gets me. And then I'd be walking along a beach or a lake with that person. Smiler Whoever is looking for a mate shouldn't stop until they find THAT person. Or just stay single. Anyway. Of all the songs of hers that I absolutely ADORE, THAT one, with THAT line, affects me the most. That thought probably didn't fit your category, but whatever you started here made me want to say that. Smiler

P.S. - I always wonder that of all the hits she tries to cover at her concerts, why she doesn't do 'Better' anymore. If I went to a concert it wouldn't matter what she did or didn't do. Just wondering. Smiler

I'm in love with everyones answers so far.

50oba9.jpg

This is her. I've been searching a while! She is the daughter from 20 years of snow (perhaps when she was a bit younger) I've kinda figured out the meaning of the song for myself.

I've always pictured the long platinum hair and the sweet face without makeup. Her pale skin and clear complexion. Her look is of complete innocence, to me she just looks so innocent and almost lost in this world.

Although this has nothing to do with regina's lyrical amazingess at all, sometimes my main mental image from a song is one of the time/place when I first heard or "got" the song. Ballad of a Politician, was first played at the Apple Store while I was over 5000miles away in Hawaii. Waking up my very first morning on Kauai, I immediately put the song in my ipod, put it on repeat, and headed to grocery store with my friends. I listened to it about 100 times straight as we wandered through the isles picking out essential things like pineapples and coconut rum. After shopping we got some shaved ice at the stand next door. Now, hearing the Ballad of a Politician always takes me back to that moment, sitting at that picnic table eating blue vanilla-flavored ice looking out beyond the parking lot and unfamiliar trees at the misty mountains in the distance. I love the irony between that and the words of the song.

4246070125_b9bf1e7dc8.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

Although this has nothing to do with regina's lyrical amazingess at all, sometimes my main mental image from a song is one of the time/place when I first heard or "got" the song.

I know exactly what you mean! Near the end of the year I was listening to Bartender a lot, usually when I was driving through this narrow road near my house completely surrounded by trees, so now when I hear Bartender I picture that road. It looks something like this (not my picture; thank you, Google Images Wink):

road-trees.jpg