Sign in to follow this  
Reginaoverdose

Mental Images during songs.

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa!:

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

Although this has nothing to do with regina's lyrical amazingess at all, sometimes my main mental image from a song is one of the time/place when I first heard or "got" the song.

I know exactly what you mean! Near the end of the year I was listening to Bartender a lot, usually when I was driving through this narrow road near my house completely surrounded by trees, so now when I hear Bartender I picture that road. It looks something like this (not my picture; thank you, Google Images Wink):

road-trees.jpg

I always think of Bartencer while on a certain road too! except its not a pretty road surrounded by trees, its a certain overpass over a freeway.

Bartender makes me picture cashew nuts.

I remember when I was first listening to it a lot I broke up with my boyfriend and remember playing it over and over in my car and tearing up. Thats what it makes me picture. I also picture a drunk regina siting at a bar in one of those twirly twisty fun chairs with a puppy dog face on asking the bartender for another shot of whisky in her cute voice. Pleading for just one more to stop the pain of love.

When I listen to 'Bartender' I think kind of the same thing. Getting drunk because of some love issue. Asking the bartender to be a little more tender because either the place is about to close or your drinking a little too much and your worried that he may cut you off, and just this once you hope he let's you have one more.

To me this is one of her straight forward songs, lyric wise. In other words, it's easy to understand the whole way through, like 'The Wallet'. She's singing exactly what she means. Most of her songs are illustrations and concepts and creative little puzzles that you have to try and figure out. (and of course I love all of those).

I hope this isn't straying from your 'mental images' thread, but the song 'Bartender' is kind of pinnacle for me with Regina. I was already loving her but still at that stage where I was new and realizing she had sooo many songs still that I hadn't heard. 'Bartender' was one of them. When I discovered it I just couldn't stop listening to it. When she does that 'trick-trick-trickle' part, that's when I realized I found a ground breaking musician. I already had 'Fidelity' & 'Apres Moi', and a few others under my belt, causing me to really like her. But 'Bartender', and I don't know why this song so much, but when I heard it, I just knew, I JUST knew, I had come across a revolutionary in music. I just wonder if she realizes what she has done. When The Beatles hit America, they killed. No one expected to have happen with what they did to music. AND they weren't a flash in the pan either, they just kept on going, with song after great song. I'm getting up there in age, but I was old enough to know 'I want to hold your hand' & 'Hey Jude', but a work mate of my father said to me one day, 'hey, if you like The Beatles, listen to this. He gave me the White Album. I had never heard it before. I was a gonner for The Beatles after that. I just couldn't believe what I was listening to. I couldn't believe this kind of creativity was coming from the simple human brain. I thought for sure I wouldn't see that again in my life time. UNTIL Regina Spektor. Of all the music since them that I really love, only with her can I say it's happening again. She is just... she is just so.... I don't know how to even finish my feelings.

Well that's my mental image. Smiler More of a statement really, sorry.

quote:
I hope this isn't straying from your 'mental images' thread, but the song 'Bartender' is kind of pinnacle for me with Regina. I was already loving her but still at that stage where I was new and realizing she had sooo many songs still that I hadn't heard. 'Bartender' was one of them. When I discovered it I just couldn't stop listening to it. When she does that 'trick-trick-trickle' part, that's when I realized I found a ground breaking musician. I already had 'Fidelity' & 'Apres Moi', and a few others under my belt, causing me to really like her. But 'Bartender', and I don't know why this song so much, but when I heard it, I just knew, I JUST knew, I had come across a revolutionary in music. I just wonder if she realizes what she has done. When The Beatles hit America, they killed. No one expected to have happen with what they did to music. AND they weren't a flash in the pan either, they just kept on going, with song after great song. I'm getting up there in age, but I was old enough to know 'I want to hold your hand' & 'Hey Jude', but a work mate of my father said to me one day, 'hey, if you like The Beatles, listen to this. He gave me the White Album. I had never heard it before. I was a gonner for The Beatles after that. I just couldn't believe what I was listening to. I couldn't believe this kind of creativity was coming from the simple human brain. I thought for sure I wouldn't see that again in my life time. UNTIL Regina Spektor. Of all the music since them that I really love, only with her can I say it's happening again. She is just... she is just so.... I don't know how to even finish my feelings.

I know exactly what you mean! I liked Regina, but I knew she was my favorite musician the first time I heard Chemo Limo. And I remember when I discovered Loveology I had a similar awakening. Honestly I don't even think I TRULY appreciated the power of music until I discovered her.

O and just to make my post a little more on-topic, the show Mad Men has always reminded me of Maryann (Well, Betty Draper specifically. I feel like she could do it)

quote:

Although this has nothing to do with regina's lyrical amazingess at all, sometimes my main mental image from a song is one of the time/place when I first heard or "got" the song.

Me too! Time is All Around brings me back to walking in the woods last summer. I remember not being able to help but walk as if there was a cat between my feet. Razzer

I first listened to "far" for a weekend straight while I was at a Lake of the Ozarks beach for a long weekend with friends. Now (especially "Folding Chair") reminds me of sunbathing on the beach surrounded by friends. Not a bad connexion!

not sure why i can't find a decent screen cap anywhere, but Riot Gear always makes me picture the library in the movie Atonement. Minus the gratuitous sex part, the darkeness even during the day, the desk with the lamp, the rich wood, and the heavy looking books glittering with gold in the bindings are just so perfect.

To me it's hard to describe what I think about when I hear one of Regina's songs, because some of them are so much more than just a mental image, for example when I hear that live version of Field Below it feels like I'm looking down on a large undefined space but it's somewhat yellow/gold-ish and feels like a cold but sunny winter's day, and like you are just floating there knowing there's a lot of space beneath your feet and closing your eyes and just listening to the sounds of a park...

quote:

not sure why i can't find a decent screen cap anywhere, but Riot Gear always makes me picture the library in the movie Atonement. Minus the gratuitous sex part, the darkeness even during the day, the desk with the lamp, the rich wood, and the heavy looking books glittering with gold in the bindings are just so perfect.

I think Riot Gear would have gratuitous sex. Big Grin