And the words float out like holograms

They say, feel the waltz

Feel the waltz

Come on, baby, baby, now feel the waltz

Feel the waltz

Feel the waltz

I don't know piano that well, but this seems to be so hard to do. And I don't have a favorite version of this song. Of course I love just her and her piano, but the snow globe studio version is so cool. This song of hers has always been kind of special to me. I don't listen to it a lot. I have know idea why, but it's almost too good. Can't even believe it came out of her head. It's just so weird and great. It doesn't sound like anything else.

Thanks for the lyrics. That's a lot of typing Smiler

^^ GEEZ I agree. but I like the demo version the best Smiler

Someone please help with the meaning of this song. It baffles me but I'm utterly in love with it.

I saw something on songmeanings.net that I agreed with and thought was a really good interpretation, and then I thought about it a little more.

Basically, the father and daughter have never truly felt emotion. They are "20 years of snow fall, 20 years of strangers looking into each other's eyes" without ever really feeling a deeper emotion. They feel superficially. "20 years of clean." All that. I think it makes a bit of sense. They're the sort of stiff upper lip grin and bear it type. As to the rest of it, no clue, but I love it. It's so much fun to play too, it's just like woooooooooooo. Exactly like that. Yup.

I think I figured it out for myself. Okay so the beginning sound for me is magical, like childhood and innocence. I always picture a girl waking up excited to discover fresh snow out of her window.

I think her and her dad didn't have such a great relationship. They grew up poor in the south and fights were always sparked. (He lives in a matchbox) He' been wounded and now she is wounded but has somehow kept her innocence where as he handled the same situation and childhood differently, with anger. But she has trouble with her relationships now and finds discust with men. I think she still wants to stay pure and clean until she finds the right man, it's been 20 yrs with no luck.

I find the contrast of the south (A baby of the south) to the image of snow amazing. Just like snow is hard to find in the south, she is a dying breed in this world, a virgin and something so pure. I think shes been visiting bars and clubs and searching in the wrong places for love.

The dirty old men in a bar.

The navigators, which I take as men who get around a lot and just want in a girls pants and know the maps to get there.

Moldy heads, I take it as uncleanliness, maybe STD's.

Pissing on sugar cubes, I think it's drunk men who can't understand her breed of women.

I'll get back to you about the end. I think she might just be in her own world and float on her own innocence.

GEEZ I LOVE THIS SONG.

I like that interpretation a lot. My dad was a wounded guy (emotionally), and boy did I pick that up too. I've searched in all the wrong places still trying to keep myself fresh emotionally. Don't know if your right, but I relate, so I hope it is. Smiler She is so much fun to try and figure out.

quote:
Originally posted by Reginaoverdose:

I think I figured it out for myself. Okay so the beginning sound for me is magical, like childhood and innocence. I always picture a girl waking up excited to discover fresh snow out of her window.

I think her and her dad didn't have such a great relationship. They grew up poor in the south and fights were always sparked. (He lives in a matchbox) He' been wounded and now she is wounded but has somehow kept her innocence where as he handled the same situation and childhood differently, with anger. But she has trouble with her relationships now and finds discust with men. I think she still wants to stay pure and clean until she finds the right man, it's been 20 yrs with no luck.

I find the contrast of the south (A baby of the south) to the image of snow amazing. Just like snow is hard to find in the south, she is a dying breed in this world, a virgin and something so pure. I think shes been visiting bars and clubs and searching in the wrong places for love.

The dirty old men in a bar.

The navigators, which I take as men who get around a lot and just want in a girls pants and know the maps to get there.

Moldy heads, I take it as uncleanliness, maybe STD's.

Pissing on sugar cubes, I think it's drunk men who can't understand her breed of women.

I'll get back to you about the end. I think she might just be in her own world and float on her own innocence.

GEEZ I LOVE THIS SONG.

oo, i like that interpretation, Alicia!

i wrote this song off as nonsense a long time ago Razzer but that makes sense-i's never even thought about the snow vs. south contrast. that was really observant!

I actually was not too fond of this song the first time I heard it and I had no idea what it was about... but then I heard the demo version and it became my favorite thing ever. When I heard the demo I suddenly had a clear picture in my mind of what I thought it was about:

"He's a wounded animal

He lives in a matchbox

He's a wounded animal

And he's been coming around here

He's a dying breed

He's a dying breed.."

Okay, so I think the song is mostly sung from the POV of a teenage boy living in a town in the south and he's describing these two people that start to move into the town - a father and daughter. He first describes the father and how emotionally wounded he is (probably from his wife leaving/dying), like a little animal (the matchbox may have something to do with him being a smoker). But he describes him as a "dying breed". Even though it's clear he's been wounded somehow, lives in a cloud of smoke, he's a good, well-meaning person and there's not many people like him in the world.

"His daughter is twenty years of snow falling

She's twenty years of strangers looking into each other's eyes

She's twenty years of clean

She never truly hated anyone or anything..."

Now he describes his daughter. She is twenty years of pure... clean... she's a virgin, and the "stranger" line probably means that she's never meaningfully had a connection with someone. She doesn't even know what "hate" feels like. She's been trapped in a "snow globe" her whole life, longing to truly see what's truly out in the outside world. It is almost unreal how pure she is. Since his father is wounded and has lost everything, he is the one who keeps her in this perpetual "snow globe", trying to keep her perfect and protected as she is the only thing he has in the world.

"She's a dying breed

She's a dying breed..."

Now, here, when the music changes, this gives me the impression that the teenage boy singing the song is in love in her and how there are not enough people in the world like her.

"She says, I'd prefer the moss

I'd prefer the mouth

A baby of the swamps

A baby of the south..."

Okay, now here's when the POV switches over to the daughter. This is where we hear her side of the story. She is twenty years of clean, but she does not want to be. She "prefers the moss", she wants to see something REAL, she wants to experience the world truly for what it is - not the distorted view of which her father only wants her to see through the "snow globe". She continues to talk of the south, the swamps, the mouth etc. as the things that she really wants to see and experience.

"I'm twenty years of clean

I never truly hated anyone or anything

Twenty years of clean

Twenty years of clean..."

In the demo version when Regi sings this, it sounds exactly like an admission and a plea. As if the daughter is saying to the teenage boy, "Look, please... I'm twenty years of clean. I've never got to 'hate' or 'feel' anything. Please. I need to." And the teenage boy doesn't approve, because he loves her for what she already is and is scared for her, but eventually she somehow gets free, either the boy helps her or she does it herself.

"But I got to get me out of here

This place is full of dirty old men

And the navigators with their mappy maps

And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes..."

This is when she realizes that she's made a mistake. She is somewhere (a bar or a club probably) where dirty old men are staring at her, everything is filthy and she now feels more trapped than she ever has in her life.

"While you

Stare at your boots

They say, feel the waltz

Feel the waltz

Feel the waltz

Feel the waltz

Come on, baby, baby, now feel the waltz..."

She's trying to get out of wherever she is, staring down at her boots. The words flying out like holograms are the dirty old men talking to her trying to get her attention. They're saying to her "feel the waltz" and forcing her to dance with them and they possibly rape her. The end with "uh uh uhh uhhh uhhh uhhhhhhh..." is probably her being raped and losing her innocence. She is no longer "clean".