Sign in to follow this  
Barth

Before there was Regina there was Joni

Joni Mitchell turned 69 this week, which caused a lot of things about her to show up around the edges of all the election coverage, including the Chicks with Dip cover of Joni's album "Blue." (You Tube the "chicks with Dip" and you will find some of it.).

It's funny how hard it is for people to cover Joni and carry the lyrics with as much meaning as they have when sung in her voice. Frankly, the voice I think could be best do justice to this so special music is Regina.

And the more I think of my obsessions with both, the more I realize it is as much how different their music and lyrics are from almost everything else.

This is the "Woodstock Show" on DIck Cavett in AUgust, 1969. (The link is to part one, but it is easy enough to find the rest):

Watch Joni on same day tape TV and tell me you don't see Regina: the same whispered "thank you" to applause included. Their music is not the same, but so much else is, and, honestly, I can think of no two artists with so much in common.

'Tis true.Thanks.

I think another parallel may become apparent in a few years. The wide recognition of Joni Mitchell as extraodinary is relatively recent. Yes, many of us were devotees of hers when she first appeared and even more so after Blue (male as well as female, contrary to what is believed today), but she was not talked about in the same reverential voice as even Bob Dylan. Now, after the Herbie Hancock Grammy winning album of covers, and the prominent role of Blue in "The Kids are All Right" (see http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/culture/loving-joni-mitchell-you-dont-have-to-be-gay/7820/) and other things of that type, her music is now regarded as the special stuff it is.

I am certain that the same will someday apply to Regina.

Regina already has a pretty good start with respect to recognition... Several very highly respected artists have declared themselves as fans... Tom Petty (whose daughter has worked on Regina's videos) has declared her as talented as anyone in pop music; Peter Gabriel has done a nice orchestral version of Regina's 'Apres Moi'; Pink called Regina her favorite new artist when Regina first became known. Even world renowned classical violinist Joshua Bell is a fan and has worked with Regina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQaOk45fH0