Sign in to follow this  
mynameislucille

Human of the Year

Okay, so in my previous post introducing myself I explained how Regina and her music opened up a whole new world of interpretation for me. I explained how her music, lyrics, and they way she composes her music relate to theater and drama in numerous ways. Well, the song Human of the Year holds this type of interpretation with me. I would assume that to most this song has quite a concrete meaning. There isn't much in it to analyze and what Regina is trying to say with the song is apparent and lacks ambiguity. This is definitely true, but when I listen to the song I believe it can be interpreted in many ways.

We all see that Karl is a man that does not expect to be receiving the "Human of the Year" award and that he feels apprehensive and out of place. I think that this song can also be compared to an awards show. Whether it be the Oscars, Grammys, Golden Globes, SAG Awards, Tony Awards, you name it, it works with the song. For now I will explain my opinion on terms of the Oscars.

"Hello, hello

Calling a Karl Projectorinski

To the front, over the cathedral

You have won, dear sir

May I congratulate you first

Human, human of the year (Think of the "Human of the Year" award as the highest award at the Oscars for actors. Best Actor; Best Actress. The way that awards are celebrated in our country it can be related to being a human of the year.)

You won

Why are you so scared

You stand their shaking in your pew

The icons are whispering to you

They're just old men

Like on the benches on the park

Except their balding spots are glistening with gold This verse is my absolute favorite to compare to drama. I see Karl as an very under-celebrated, maybe even amateur actor. He probably doesn't feel that he deserves the awards and never thought he had a chance of winning in the first place. I see his trepidation and "shaking in his pew" to be his nerves about being in front of all the peers and actors that are successful, confident, and celebrated much more than he. When she says "The icons are whispering to you" I see this as older more experienced actors giving him advice and mentoring him. "They're just old men; except their balding spots are glistening with gold" refers again to experienced, celebrated actors, but it is explaining that they were once in his shoes, and that they are just normal actors just like him, except they have won awards before and are revered in their craft as very successful and talented.

Human, human of the year

You won [x2]

You have won

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Outside the cars are beeping

Out of sun

Just in your honor

This simply symbolizes that when you win a major acting awards such as an Oscar it is major and celebrated in circles all around the country. You even see the top winners at the show on the front of newspapers the next day. So this shows peoples appreciation for the awards and that when you win everyone is celebrating "in your honor."

And even though they do not know it

All mankind are now your brothers

I see "all mankind" as symbolism for the rest of the actors that have one the same award. The winners of Oscars is a very select, small group of individuals and the fact that Karl has now won such a high award makes the rest of patrons that have won his "brothers" and that he is now apart of this elite group.

And as the cathedral has spoken

Wishing well to all us sinners

And where the sight grew silent

Til next year's big human winner

I believe that this verse directly refers to the anticipation of who is going to win the highest award having disappeared with the announcement of the winner. The other nominees are wished well in their future endeavors, and there hopes have grown silent, until next years award show where they very well might have another chance to win.

Out of sun

Just in your honor

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hello, hello

You have won"

I hope this made at least some sense. This is the way I have interpreted this song for a while now, and while it is rather unconventional I believe that is the beauty of Regina's music. The beauty is that anyone from anywhere can listen to her music and create their own story. Use their own imaginative thinking to construct a whole new meaning that is fully and solely their own. She leaves so much a mystery that everyone can become their own songwriter, there own storyteller. Regina's intelligence and ability to create this concept, whether she means to or not, is incredible to those that listen to her music, and a big reason why I love listening to her as well.

Okay, so in my previous post introducing myself I explained how Regina and her music opened up a whole new world of interpretation for me. I explained how her music, lyrics, and they way she composes her music relate to theater and drama in numerous ways. Well, the song Human of the Year holds this type of interpretation with me. I would assume that to most this song has quite a concrete meaning. There isn't much in it to analyze and what Regina is trying to say with the song is apparent and lacks ambiguity. This is definitely true, but when I listen to the song I believe it can be interpreted in many ways.

We all see that Karl is a man that does not expect to be receiving the "Human of the Year" award and that he feels apprehensive and out of place. I think that this song can also be compared to an awards show. Whether it be the Oscars, Grammys, Golden Globes, SAG Awards, Tony Awards, you name it, it works with the song. For now I will explain my opinion on terms of the Oscars.

"Hello, hello

You have won, dear sir

May I congratulate you first

Human, human of the year (Think of the "Human of the Year" award as the highest award at the Oscars for actors. Best Actor; Best Actress. The way that awards are celebrated in our country it can be related to being a human of the year.)

You won

Why are you so scared

You stand their shaking in your pew

The icons are whispering to you

They're just old men

Like on the benches on the park

Except their balding spots are glistening with gold This verse is my absolute favorite to compare to drama. I see Karl as an very under-celebrated, maybe even amateur actor. He probably doesn't feel that he deserves the awards and never thought he had a chance of winning in the first place. I see his trepidation and "shaking in his pew" to be his nerves about being in front of all the peers and actors that are successful, confident, and celebrated much more than he. When she says "The icons are whispering to you" I see this as older more experienced actors giving him advice and mentoring him. "They're just old men; except their balding spots are glistening with gold" refers again to experienced, celebrated actors, but it is explaining that they were once in his shoes, and that they are just normal actors just like him, except they have won awards before and are revered in their craft as very successful and talented.

Human, human of the year

You won [x2]

You have won

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Out of sun

Just in your honor

This simply symbolizes that when you win a major acting awards such as an Oscar it is major and celebrated in circles all around the country. You even see the top winners at the show on the front of newspapers the next day. So this shows peoples appreciation for the awards and that when you win everyone is celebrating "in your honor."

I see "all mankind" as symbolism for the rest of the actors that have one the same award. The winners of Oscars is a very select, small group of individuals and the fact that Karl has now won such a high award makes the rest of patrons that have won his "brothers" and that he is now apart of this elite group.

And as the cathedral has spoken

Wishing well to all us sinners

And where the sight grew silent

Til next year's big human winner

I believe that this verse directly refers to the anticipation of who is going to win the highest award having disappeared with the announcement of the winner. The other nominees are wished well in their future endeavors, and there hopes have grown silent, until next years award show where they very well might have another chance to win.

Out of sun

Just in your honor

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Hello, hello

You have won"

I hope this made at least some sense. This is the way I have interpreted this song for a while now, and while it is rather unconventional I believe that is the beauty of Regina's music. The beauty is that anyone from anywhere can listen to her music and create their own story. Use their own imaginative thinking to construct a whole new meaning that is fully and solely their own. She leaves so much a mystery that everyone can become their own songwriter, there own storyteller. Regina's intelligence and ability to create this concept, whether she means to or not, is incredible to those that listen to her music, and a big reason why I love listening to her as well.

That was absolutely brilliant in every way conceivable and you need an award of your own for straining such an ingenious analysis from your obviously very active mind. I never thought an interpretation of one of Regina's songs could actually be as dazzling as the song in question in and of itself.

Hmm... I love your interpretation, I've never thought about it that way.

I've always thought this song was sarcastic. Karl Prejektorinski is an average joe. The accolades, the applause, it's all mocking. Otherwise, it seems mighty over-the-top. I don't know. Maybe I just have a dour outlook. :P

Welcome to the Stix Lucille! Big Grin I am so glad that you have joined, you will love it here. All the people here are amazing!

I really love this song, but I kind of ruined it for myself. In an English class I was in a few years ago I had to write a poem based on someone elses character, so I chose Karl. I basically wrote this story from his perspective, showing that he never expected nor wanted to win, that it just sort of fell into his lap because he happened to be at the cathedral that day.