Sign in to follow this  
mynameislucille

Human of the Year

quote:
Originally posted by SmallTownMoon:

I really love this song, but I kind of ruined it for myself. In an English class I was in a few years ago I had to write a poem based on someone elses character, so I chose Karl. I basically wrote this story from his perspective, showing that he never expected nor wanted to win, that it just sort of fell into his lap because he happened to be at the cathedral that day.

How come it ruined the song for you? Smiler

I've read some other interpretations where people think this song's more about religion. Like, some religions idolize certain people who are just ordinary. The religion thing would fit in with the setting being in a catherdral. I also like the above interpretation though.

quote:
Originally posted by Kateateyou:

How come it ruined the song for you? Smiler

I guess it ruined it for me because now everytime I listen to it I think of the shame Karl felt in my version instead of listening to the beauty regina is trying to convey.

quote:
I think that this song can also be compared to an awards show. Whether it be the Oscars, Grammys, Golden Globes, SAG Awards, Tony Awards, you name it, it works with the song. For now I will explain my opinion on terms of the Oscars.

That's an interesting interpretation-- I would've never thought that Human of the Year was about an awards show. I'm not sure if I agree 100%, though; for me, the song has a lot more religious connotations. Anyways, here's my analysis:

I personally think that Karl Projectorinski is a newly-elected pope, which would explain the setting of the cathedral. Regina might be criticizing the way that organized religion (and society in general) treats normal individuals like Karl Projectorinski. Some of the lines even sound sarcastic, such as "Outside the cars are beeping/Out a song just in your honor/Although they do not know it/All mankind are now your brothers." It seems as if Regina is pointing out how ridiculous it is that an event like the election of a pope is made to seem so important, when in reality it affects very few people.

I think that this song is also a criticism of religion in general, judging from this line: "The icons are whispering to you/They're just old men/Like on the benches on the park/Except their balding spots are glistening with gold." I love how Regina compares icons (which are paintings of Jesus Christ or other holy figures) to normal, everyday people. It reminds of one of my favorite books, Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (which Regina may have read herself, because she has cited Vonnegut as one of favorite authors). One of the primary messages of the book is that all religions are based on lies, but that they can be useful and wonderful anyways. The comparison of holy figures to old men sitting in the park shows how humans make such a big deal out of religion, when in reality they were founded by normal people who might've just made it all up.

Lastly, I think that Karl Projectorinski himself is a symbol. There's another thread here about how the letters in Karl's name can be rearranged to spell Regina's. If this was done on purpose, and if Karl is supposed to represent Regina herself, then it reinforces the theme that normal people are celebrated because of religion. Another theory is that Karl Projectorinski represents humankind in general. This would explain the word "project" in his name-- he projects an image of all of us. If this is the case, then I like how Karl is portrayed as frightened, intimidated, and not really sure what's going on; because I'm sure that how most people feel about religion.

Okay, end rant. Smiler The moral of this post is that Human of the Year is amazing. And your analysis is very good as well, mynameislucille. You're right about everyone having their own interpretation, because I see this song in a completely different light.