You can't spend your whole life

Waiting for God to kiss you

Can't spend your whole life

Waiting for God to kiss you back

Come on, come on, come on, back

Kiss you back, kiss you back

Kiss you back, kiss you back

---------------------------------------

I love this song. Any opinions on it. One of my favorites.

Dolce is a beautiful song. I think it would have fit in really well subject-wise on Far. That and the One More Time With Feeling melodic tie-in.

And probably most of you know this by now, but in case you don't, the Latin bit means "it is sweet and just to die for one's country."

i adore this song. It's definitely one of Regina's best, imo!

the meaning is straightforward, especially considering the latin (taken from a famous poem that i'm ashamedly ignorant of!)..

basically, regina's saying that war is pointless, and no one should be proud to die for their country. war a horrible institution that is surrounded by lies.

"after all the children being born into a time of searching for some glory, and [now, after all] the lies ([that are] still being repeated!), [such as] it is sweet and just to die for one's own country, it's even harder to live than it's ever been in the past.

She discourages people from pursuing glory in battle, stating that "you can't spend your whole life waiting for God to kiss you back. Come on!" In other words, nothing good comes from the pursuit of a life that ends in an untimely death-- "kissing God" in this context refers, essentially, to suicide at the hands of another soldier-willingly going into battle with the understanding that people will die, either you, or someone killed by you, or all of the above.

She says you can't willingly participate in this madness and expect God to welcome you with open arms. Now, I don't think this "God" is the God of the Bible, but refers to the greater good of mankind and/or the way things "should" have worked out, or the best way things could go (if that makes sense?).

"you can't spend your whole life waiting for God to kiss you back" means, "there's no justification to pursuing a life/death in battle."

quote:
basically, regina's saying that war is pointless, and no one should be proud to die for their country. war a horrible institution that is surrounded by lies.

this is what I was thinking Smiler

but I have some more thoughts...

After all, everything'd been said and done I feel, I feel better now Come away, lay your hands and rest and close your eyes Say a prayer for those who've gone gives me the feeling that someone close to her passed away. "fought for his/her country" in a literal or abstract way. I feel better now is like her trying to convince herself that time will heal all wounds.

but still it's hard to live. and harder than before since this person is gone now. Then in the second verse she reveals the reason why this someone died. the lies and dulce etc...

But you can't spend your whole life Waiting for God to kiss you means that you can't wait for his blessings to pour down on you. and then this kiss you back shows up.

It's like she's angry or bitter, like she feels she's done so many good things in life and "honored" God and so on...and still awful things are happening; like this person dying.

I think it might be a song questioning why life is so hard and unfair sometimes.

I agree with a lot of what sweetness in my lungs said.

This is definitely one of her most powerful songs (and should go on a CD please!). I lost a friend recently and every time I hear this song, I can't help thinking about it. The song has become addictive for me because in the same way that it’s painful to listen to this song because it’s painful to remember, it’s comforting because this song makes me feel like someone understands. The part about how "its hard to live, its harder than its ever been before, the things that used to comfort me don't comfort me, not any more." is sort of ironic for me. Because while this song used to just be a really powerful song that I liked a lot, now it has a really personal meaning for me and comforts me even more. On the other hand, it is true that basically nothing is comforting when you are experiencing something as huge as the death of someone you knew.

I feel like the part "you can't spend your whole life waiting for God to kiss you." means that unjust things happen in our lives and we all have to deal with pain. But after a while, you have to accept the gap and move on. You can't expect God to make up for it. In the end, it is your responsibility to make your life what you want it to be.

I hope this made sense cause it’s mostly just me rambling… The song is definitely also talking about war (either literal or figurative). But I decided just to write about what it means for me at this time. This definitely isn't how I would have interpreted it before and probably not what she meant in writing it, but if she ever reads our posts, I hope she knows her songs are helping Smiler

I kinda of know what this song's true meaning mean but I never really cared. Its sooo beautiful and I only listen to it when I'm in a period or day in my life where everything is dark and feels horrible then I ease in my earphones and hear

"It's hard to live.. but you cant spend your own life waiting for god to kiss you"

very powerful words right there. motivates me to get back on my feet the next day.

I know this might be a tad late...but I recently lost a close family member to a suicide..and it was ironic that I started listening to this song right before I found out the news. I absolutely love the interpretation about the war, I never even thought of that. I feel like this is such an honest song for Regina, almost as if it's symbolic for something that happened to her. I don't know. All I know is that I wish she'd have played it more than once!!