Sign in to follow this  
LightBlueGrass

On The Radio

Hello, I was hoping if all of you could help me interpret this song. I want to performer this song in my ASL class. But, I keep getting stuck. So to get my juices flowing, i wanna here what your interpretation on the song are. When I'm done i can post up the final gloss over. And receive comments and ways i can make it better. Smiler Your help will be greatly appreciated! Big Grin

Hello, I was hoping if all of you could help me interpret this song. I want to performer this song in my ASL class. But, I keep getting stuck. So to get my juices flowing, i wanna here what your interpretation on the song are. When I'm done i can post up the final gloss over. And receive comments and ways i can make it better. Smiler Your help will be greatly appreciated! Big Grin

What's ASL stand for? Aaand, it's awesome that you get to perform Regina music for a class Smiler

i see you're new here, so WELCOME TO THE STIX! Big GrinBig Grin

Here's an interesting take on it from song meanings dot net:

"Is it just me, or is the first part a drug reference? The way she describes it sounds like she's talking about the physical and emotion stages of being on heroin.

It starts out feeling really bad, you're not sure whether you like it or not, then you get feeling really good and self absorbed, you wouldn't care how many people you hurt, and then it's followed by your whole body getting uncomfortably warm, making it hard to sleep and difficult to do anything at all. Once that part is over, you just want it to go away, by throwing up or... anything, and after that you get cramp-like pains in your joints or teeth.

After that, it just seems like a simple song about how you should give everything your everything, and once you've become yourself, you find love and live until you're dead."

LYRICS:

This is how it works

it feels a little worse

than when we drove our herse

right through that screaming crowd

while laughing up a storm

until we were just bone

until it got so warm

that none of us could sleep

and all the styrofoam

began to melt away

we tried to find some worms

to aid in the decay

but none of them were home

inside their catacombs

a million ancient beasts

began to sting our knees

while we were on our knees

praying that disease

would leave the ones we love

and never come again

on the radio

we heard November Rain

that solo's really long

but it's a pretty song

we listened to it twice

cause the deejay was asleep

(bum buddum buddum bum)

this is how it works

you're young until you're not

you love until you don't

you try until you can't

you laugh until you cry

you cry until you laugh

and everyone must breathe

until their dying breath

now, this is how it works

you peer inside yourself

you take the things you like

and try to love the things you took

and then you take that love you made

and stick it into some

someone else's heart

pumping someone else's blood

and waling arm-in-arm

you hope it don't get harmed

but even if it does

you'll just do it all again

and on the radio

you'll hear November Rain

that solo's aweful long

but it's a good refrain

you'll listen to it twice

cause the deejay is asleep

on the radio

i look forward to other people's takes on this....

Ok, sorry for the double post... i think the thing that confuses me most about this song is the cryptic "it".. "this is how it works.... it feels a little worse". I have no idea what "it" refers to..?

the whole thing about the herse is... random haha i feel like there's a context to put this into, but i really have no idea when a herse was driven through a crowd by some maniacs..? Is it a metaphore?

thinking... thinking... thinking...

As a lot of you know, this is my favorite song. Ever. So one would expect that I have a lot to say about what it means, but I really don't... Just a general sense of how it makes me feel.

I don't have much time to type right now, so I'll post my thoughts later... But for now I'll just say that to me, the song is about the balance between living for yourself and finding people you can truly count on.

Be like water, people...

ASL is American Sign Language.

In my class every marking period we have to preform a song in ASL.

First i pick a song and "gloss" it over.

Meaning i turn normal English into proper sentence structure for ASL.

EX: Hi, How are you? My name is Bryan.

ASL: HI, HOW YOU? NAME ME B-R-Y-A-N.

my name is finger spelled.

But when glossing a song you have to take the concept of each line. Because the deaf take everything literally.

like if you tell them "you can't teach a old dog new tricks. They will think your actually talking about how old dogs because their age cant learn new tricks.

So that's why i need help on finding the major concept of the song.

I cant wait to preform and wow my classmates.

Hopefully new Regina fans are born. Smiler heehee

This is how it works..

I'm forward to what you have to say. And i also do love this song. Been singing it all day.

It's a song about life. Pure and simple. I remember a radio interview in which the interviewer asked Regina about the song, but she diverted the question and said, "I can tell you about the video I did for it...". We all know Regina prefers not to talk about the story behind the song, and I'm with her on that. The personal interpretations are much more interesting. But you've gotta think she had a pretty amazing, intense epiphany about life the day she wrote this song. The lyrics are just totally spot-on... a song full of universal truths. Some of the best lyrics ever written, for sure.

^^ I'm with you on that, folderol. It's hard to define the first verse lyric by lyric but it just fills me with an indescribable feeling... To me that first verse is kind of about memory. You know how things are more memorable at night, and those memories come out kind of goopy and abstract? The imagery of stryofoam melting away makes me think of that. Driving a hearse through a screaming crowd is like a memory of acting recklessly without regard for others, but having some twisted fun doing it. Praying against disease is a memory of struggling through the bad in life; learning to think about others.

Aah and then "We listened to it twice, cuz the DJ was asleep." There's something so beautiful about that line that I can't put my finger on... I'll let you know when I can describe it.