Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Dating & Money

I am a modern girl, third wave feminist and all that, but i am open to some old fashioned things, like engagement rings and boys opening doors for girls. The one thing that I completely disapprove of is a boy paying for my dinner. Sometimes, if I'm on a date and I don't kno the boy that well, if he insists on paying I'll let him. But most of the time I think it's fucking bullshit. I make my own money, so I don't need a perfect stranger to take care of me every time we go out. Also, I really believe that women won't get paid the same as men for equal work until we stop expecting men to pay for women all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by jellybeanjules:

I really believe that women won't get paid the same as men for equal work until we stop expecting men to pay for women all the time

That's very interesting; I never thought of that. I understand being offended by the convention that the man will pay for dinner, but the truth is it's so ingrained into our society that there will probably always be women who simply expect it.

quote:
Originally posted by jellybeanjules:

I am a modern girl, third wave feminist and all that, but i am open to some old fashioned things, like engagement rings and boys opening doors for girls. The one thing that I completely disapprove of is a boy paying for my dinner. Sometimes, if I'm on a date and I don't kno the boy that well, if he insists on paying I'll let him. But most of the time I think it's fucking bullshit. I make my own money, so I don't need a perfect stranger to take care of me every time we go out. Also, I really believe that women won't get paid the same as men for equal work until we stop expecting men to pay for women all the time.

Here's the thing. Chivalry is dead. Men don't know anymore if they should open a door. Women don't even let me open the door by rushing into a restaurant or getting into the car. So we're all to blame for the loss of that.

Most of us women complain about how we aren't treated equally with men. Then, we complain how chivalry is dead. The question is, how can we be truly equal until chivalry is dead?

quote:
Here's the thing. Chivalry is dead. Men don't know anymore if they should open a door. Women don't even let me open the door by rushing into a restaurant or getting into the car. So we're all to blame for the loss of that

no one is blaming men for the loss of chivalry. i would much rather have equality and feminism than chivalry. chivalry was killed for a reason...it's just sexism wearing a pretty smile