Sign in to follow this  
baby jesus

Reading Time With Pickle

I don't think that you can speculate about Regina's drug use based on her songs. While it is more than likely she has tried some stuff, her songs are strictly stories and the most extreme versions of herself, so I wouldn't attempt to take any auto-biographical truth out of them. (Specifically That Time, where I believe she said in an interview that the only part of it that was strictly based on her own life was that she actually buried pigeons.)

But I agree with you on your second point, lennonist. I think Regina plays with the way words feel rather than their meaning, giving her songs a surrealist element that isn't really present in the work of many other artists.

I've only read the newer posts here now, so this might have been said. But when you're in love and happily so doesn't everything seem a little brighter, more magic? "is it possible that all this magic went unnoticed?". "love is the answer to a question that I have forgotten" could then indicate that the narrator was in love, and now...well pickles are just pickles again.

Sidenote: I don't actually believe Regina's ever done LSD, and whatnot. I wouldn't be surprised if the song were still about it though... just because she's a writer. She creates fictitious worlds, and has adventures through her own characters rather than her own life. Smiler

I just noticed a similarity to Baby Jesus in this song. Something magical that comes from a most pedestrian origin. Not unlike a manger in that sense, but more so. A supermarket. A 99 cent store. Walking home from Walgreens. I'm not sure where to go from there, but both of those songs are special to me, and I think those contexts provide important meaning. And, love is the answer. :-)