Sign in to follow this  
SmallTownMoon

Daniel Cowman

I found this old podcast not too long ago where these two guys were interviewing Regina. It was about the time that Begin to Hope was coming out. She was talking to them about Daniel Cowman and how she had trouble getting the rights for a certain part of the song where she uses the melody of Strangers In The Night. I guess you can only get the rights if you sample the whole song or something. But then her publishing company found out that Strangers In The Night uses the same melody of an old instrumental song by a group of musicians called "A Thousand Ways to Die". Which she thought was a really weird coincidence. haha..

There's also a Modest Mouse song called Cowboy Dan. Which I think has similar themes. I've been trying to figure out where they both got their inspiration from for these songs, but I haven't found anything yet. Someone on songmeanings.net said that Daniel Cowman is a shout out to the MM song, but I don't know..

I can't really explain what I think the song means. Most of my thoughts on the song came from songmeanings. haha.. I think it examines death and existence. How it's hard to believe that the world could go on when you're no longer part of it.. I really don't have a firm grasp on it..

let me just say, this song is brilliant. it was originally how i got really into reg's music- actually i think i listened to the youtube spektography video at least 50 times in a row when i first found it, haha. anywho...

i have always thought the narrator (Daniel Cowman) is dead. Hence "the world should have ended" and "i don't exist" lines, among others.

he is trying to tell his story, but it is not coherent, more like a stream of consciousness. other than that, i don't think it has much of a linear storyline in the slightest-and that is why it is so amazing!

it is so successful at conveying emotion and a certain type of atmosphere, that the rest doesn't matter in the least.

I agree that the song looks at how we look at our own existences. Isn't it hard to grasp the notion that when we die, the world is still right where we left it, doing the same things it always did?

I think maybe the song tells the story of Daniel's death from his perspective, complete with hazy memories, courtroom drama, and very ironic last words: "I want to take a fucking bath." You should have listened to your friend, Daniel. Turns out your death sentence didn't exempt you from drowning after all. Wink

I just got chills...

quote:
Originally posted by good > perfect:

i have always thought the narrator (Daniel Cowman) is dead. Hence "the world should have ended" and "i don't exist" lines, among others.

he is trying to tell his story, but it is not coherent, more like a stream of consciousness. other than that, i don't think it has much of a linear storyline in the slightest-and that is why it is so amazing!

it is so successful at conveying emotion and a certain type of atmosphere, that the rest doesn't matter in the least.

I think this is the perfect explanation of this song. To me, this is one of those songs that can't be, and shouldn't be explained very much....because it is as you put it so nicely "just a stream of consciousness"....just a stream of thought/emotion.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

and very ironic last words: "I want to take a fucking bath." You should have listened to your friend, Daniel. Turns out your death sentence didn't exempt you from drowning after all. Wink

I just got chills...

I just had to qoute you on that coz it was so nicely worded. Smiler

It's like, when you listen to a song, whatever you have in your head at that moment can make one line sound really different at that moment from how it sounds at a different moment. Your words did that for me just now...just slightly adjusted my ears to hear something new.

fuck! for once I was going to keep my blabbering short and not overanalyze shit...well, didn't work.

as I was listening to the song just now...I couldn't help but see two people in this story. Daniel Cowman and Heroin Boy. and it made me contemplate their relationship.

"the heroin boy had walked through the door screaming and eveyrone was like, "why you screaming like it's the end of the world?" well it is" made me picture heroin boy as a very, very close friend of daniel cowman....but even heroin boy's experience of "this is the end of the world" is a continuation of the world... :P which has gotta be tough for someone who's dead.

LASTLY: I LOVE THIS SONG! It was one of the songs that got me into SPektors music.