Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmallTownMoon

Daniel Cowman

15 posts in this topic

I find it difficult to figure out the meaning of this song but every time I listen to it I have these thoughts about solipsism. I don't know if you guys have heard about it but solipsism is the idea that the only thing you can be sure about is your own mind. It's impossible to prove the existence of the outer world. Therefore, there is a possibility that you simply created the world you know and that it exists in your mind only.

In others words, you are my creation, mouahaha!

Anyway. :P I have the impression that there are three different characters in this song: Daniel Cowman, "I" and the heroin boy. However, I think it's really difficult to distinguish them. I may be wrong but in the first paragraph I have the impression that "I" and Daniel Cowman are the same person, then it's hard to distinguish "I" from the heroin boy. He sings that he doesn't exist too, at one point they both have their pants down and at the end of the song they both want to take a bath. I was thinking that maybe all these characters thought they were products of Daniel Cowman's mind. They thought they would die and that the world would end after Daniel Cowman's death. I was also thinking that hanging might be Daniel Cowman's death sentence because at the end of the song, the heroin boy/"I" says that he's supposed to die by hanging. Maybe he thought that if Daniel Cowman died by hanging then it would cause his own death.

Ah. I don't know. My mind is going to explode.

Just before I reached your last sentence I thought 'my mind is going to explode!' I need to listen to the song now and then read that again.

And I hope I didn't just create the world I know. What kind of mind would create a forum full of people with toast on their faces?! :)

I'm thinking, maybe Daniel is the heroin boy, and that he sees himself from the outside (I don't know if that expression exists in English, but it does in Swedish. Like looking at yourself from another perspective). Maybe he realises he's the heroin boy. The heroin boy could also be some kind of alter ego. (I'm just making this up as I go so don't expect wonders) But think about the line "The heroin boy (who is Daniel) (...) getting ready to go in for a swim, and I (who is Daniel) says 'no, you're gonna drown'". Like him trying to stop himself from doing something stupid. The part of him who is still sane and knows that he is addicted to heroin and that it's the drugs that makes him go into the bath tub. And then...he does drown. He loses the fight with his mind, he thinks he can only die by hanging, so he decides to take that bath and dies...and that is his death sentence that is talked about in the very first line of the song.

Hah! Maybe.

I love what people have written so far about this song! I agree, it's full of stream-of-consciousness, and is not really about the plot.

However, I have to disagree that Daniel dies in the end(?!?!) I read heroin boy as being different from Daniel, and even the narrator. I think they're supposed to be (at least to the narrator) three separate people. It's heroin boy who "goes swimming..." which, by the way, is not his term, but the narrator's, and possibly Daniel's. Heroin Boy simply wants to take a bath.

Heroin Boy makes an important logical falacy: he says that, because a person has sentenced him to hang, it becomes physically impossible to drown. I don't think he does drown in the end, and that's the point. Everyone else is concerned with how he will die, but he just wants to enjoy the time he has left.

I'd say heroin boy and Daniel Cowman are distinct, despite the fact that both apparently faced death sentences, because all of the bathtub drama is taking place in Daniel's memory. He's thinking back to experiences he had with someone the narrator calls "(the) heroin boy," so he is not the one who bathed, and certainly hasn't drowned, at least in my opinion!

Either way, I think this song is just too awesome: the narrator constantly blurs past and present, self and other, and alternates between self-awareness and getting lost in reverie. The coolest thing about it is, it causes me to do the same thing as I listen. Another masterfully written song by Regi! One of my earliest loves from her catalogue, like many others here.

kaoir, solipsism hits the nail on the head! Absolutely, that would explain the poor distinction between charater and narrator: they're all figments of his imagination, as far as he's concerned. Then he experiences reverse-solipsism when Daniel dies... now the narrator himself doesn't exist, becauase he is a figment of Daniel's imagination, since there is no actual "self" in solipsism, as it's been explained to me, at least xD I don't know, just a thought. I won't ramble any more!

Genius next door likes this

I think it's a non-linear narrative song which changes its narration between regina , Daniel and heroin boy. regina attempts to become one with the object of the story " daniel " . but in the other hand we must not forget heroin boy who daniel remembers and says the best part of the song " A man destined to ... "   so this song has three narrators who are connected to each other as if their fate and existence is the same . I think regina ( in her anti-folk way ) is trying to express the famous poem that Sa'adi ( one of my country's greatest classical poets ) wrote " All men and women are to each other
the limbs of a single body, each of us drawn

from life’s shimmering essence, God’s perfect pearl;
and when this life we share wounds one of us,
all share the hurt as if it were our own" . I always feel it when i listen to regina's music that alongside her narrative storytelling " which sometimes becomes third person POV " she's a witty formalist who chooses her grammer and composition of the words to make a unique meaning out . She's an artist who uses the form to create meaning , like great artists like michael haneke who says " if 300 people are in a cinema watching a movie, they will all see a different film, so in a way there are 300 movies in that cinema . "