Reginaoverdose

Quotes by Regina.

I know we have threads dedicated to the clever and awesome quotes from Regina's songs but I really do love the candid quotes from interviews and when she's performing. So yeah, let's post them here!

Just BOLD or ITALICIZE the quote or put it in a COLOR. So we can quickly find the quotes and differentiate between them and any discussion or source Smiler

I know we have threads dedicated to the clever and awesome quotes from Regina's songs but I really do love the candid quotes from interviews and when she's performing. So yeah, let's post them here!

Just BOLD or ITALICIZE the quote or put it in a COLOR. So we can quickly find the quotes and differentiate between them and any discussion or source Smiler

"I mean, in this book, it's music criticism from the 19th century, and they're ripping Tchaikovsky a new asshole, but the thing that really gets me is that it's written so beautifully. It's nasty reviews in beautiful language, and that's what I want. My dad will forward me some of the stuff people write about me, and I think it's all bullshit. It's all, 'Oh, this sucks, that sucks, blah.' I don't want that. I want you to write poetically about how bad I suck."

~ MTV article, June 2009

"I understand people's need to classify. I mean, that's what humanity is built on. We'll walk into a new territory and discover a new flower and give it like a seven name Latin title, ya know? And the little flower is like “What the fuck? I'm just a pink with blue spots little flower! And nobody else is like me!” But they totally need to classify and explain."

"But you can pull little things from other people. I was just talking about this with someone last night. It's like being little thievesbut thieves of like, putting out feelers, like every time you watch a movie or look at people have a conversation—you're just like stealing little specimens to use later. But you are an honorable thief and that's the world of it, and other people are doing it and you see them and have a little nod with them, and it's good. I guess thieving is the wrong word but it's just filling yourself up with it all—consuming it."

(source)

"People always want to know which part of the song really happened, they want to know some sort of a ‘Truth’. For some reason they can see the same actor acting in 17 different movies, using 17 different hair colors, changing their voice, changing their accent, being evil or being the victim, and they are okay with that. They understand that it’s just a movie, they understand that it’s an art. But with music they forget. Music, somehow, is life."

~ source 2006

"I went up to Sonia and asked her, 'Can you be my teacher?' and she said, 'Of course,'" Spektor recalls. "She ended up being my teacher until I was 17. The Japanese have a proverb: whenever the student is ready, the teacher appears. In a lot of ways, that's how my life has been, there's been this kind of harmony with things -- I wrote a few songs, then someone heard me and offered me a show; I decided I was ready to tour and then I went on tour with the Strokes. It makes you live your whole life differently. You can't just sit around, getting angry because you think you're ready. If you were really ready, things would be happening."

Those last two sentences have been posted on my bedroom wall next to the light switch for the past 2.5 years, always reminding me to relax, because when the time is right, things will happen.

Full bio- HERE

" Let's start a charitable organization to save Blockbuster before it goes extinct. We can make this sweet, sentimental documentary, in which people are constantly falling in love in Blockbuster."

"I love making noises."

"I have no grip on reality. I'm so non-objective. Ah, the world is sooooooooo cool. "

" Sometimes I'm really positive about religion, but, you know, sometimes I'm really sarcastic about it , too. Hey, that's God, that's life!"

-(all above from Spin Magazine Q&A May 18, 2009)

"I'm such a sissy. I can't even handle Animal Planet. The world is too much. "

- (Spin Magazine, "Regina Spektor's Joy Ride," June 20, 2009)