Reginaoverdose

Quotes by Regina.

We go on to Sidewalk Cafe in the East Village, where she played her first proper gig, aged 19. "I'd come here for the open mic night but never got picked. So I got the number of the booker and called him up. It happened a woman was covering for him that day, and so I lied to her, 'I had a show booked and I don't remember when it was. Would you mind checking?' and she looked in the diary and of course it wasn't there. 'He said he wrote it down,' I said, and so she put me down for a slot. I begged every single person I knew to come. The place was full of Russian adults. They did such good business they had me back, and slowly I started to have some real fans."

She inspires a particular kind of fervent devotion among her fans, who all seem to want to be her best friend or boyfriend. She's embarrassed. "That is so weird - I think I'm such a dork."

lol!

"We were watching LCD Soundsystem by the side of the stage and she said, 'I know this is not hygienic, but...' and then offered to share her wine with me. I was thinking, 'Are you kidding? I want you to spit on me!'"

— Regina Spektor on meeting Bjork for the first time.

<3 I love this.

“Could you imagine somebody listening to this record and thinking ‘Wow, she hates the city, she does drugs, she cut her boyfriend’s hair, she’s this, she’s that, she’s lonley’?”

~Regina ponders the reactions of fans who think her songs are autobiographical.THIS really made me like her record label Sire.

What a great article. I loved this part of it too:

Some fans reacted negatively to Spektor’s more sonically involved style.

“Some of them are really freaked out by the new record [begin to Hope]. They want what they had. Me, I'm very unimpressed by purists. I'm like, "Would you be the person in the room that would boo when Dylan went electric? I know I wouldn't. Or are you the person that left The Beatles after 'She Loves You,' or 'Drive My Car?' You weren't on board for 'Revolution 9' or 'Day in the Life,' were you?"

This was good for me cause I always hate reading peoples comments about wanting the 'old Regina' or only liking her live. I remember reading a book about the Beatles where they listed the top 5 most hated Beatle songs in 1969. 'Revolution No. 9' was no. 1. and hey, it's not even a song, so I kinda get that, but still I'm glad they did it, cause it's wierd, and very Beatley. But 'Helter Skelter' was no. 4!!! and that is such a great song. One of my favorites. Before it's time. McCartney said that at the time of the song he had read that The Who were called the loudest hardest rock group in the world. He was inspired by that saying that they could write songs like that too, they just chose not to. So he wrote 'Helter Skelter' to prove it. And it's great. Regina says so many things about music the make me say 'I feel the same way'!