Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Ballad of Politicians

I hope she doesn't put "Ballad of a Politician" on her next album because it's one of my least favorites of her songs. Perhaps my least favorite. And I know just because I don't like it doesn't mean she shouldn't put it on an album, but honestly the reason I don't like it is that the writing is subpar. The piano is nothing to write home about, and the lyrics are lame, in my opinion. It's one of very few of her songs where I can hear her trying really really hard to write a song. And it shows.

Now, "Firewood" is amazing. So is "Ink Stains." Those are two very special songs.

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in the Sounds:

I hope she doesn't put "Ballad of a Politician" on her next album because it's one of my least favorites of her songs. Perhaps my least favorite. And I know just because I don't like it doesn't mean she shouldn't put it on an album, but honestly the reason I don't like it is that the writing is subpar. The piano is nothing to write home about, and the lyrics are lame, in my opinion. It's one of very few of her songs where I can hear her trying really really hard to write a song. And it shows.

Wow. Personally, I think Ballad of a Politician is an absolutely brilliant allegory, and I think that the mournful piano adds a very interesting element. I suppose to each his own. I would be thrilled if it ended up on an album.

quote:
I can hear her trying really really hard to write a song. And it shows.

i agree that this song seems to have been written differently--maybe with a different process, as it sticks out from her other work... i wouldn't say that that difference is the fact that she was trying too hard. i think she was just trying something new. i don't think we should tear the song apart just because it doesn't have a similar ring to her other work.

just give it time to kind of sink in. She certainly cultivates her songs as she performs them--listen to an old recording of Wallet, then a more recent one. She makes adjustments, and reworks them. So i wouldn't give up on Ballad just yet. i think it has potantial.

also, i think regina might be entering a new phase in her songwriting, aiming her songs toward something more focused, rather than having them sound so random, and, as someone i know says, "about nothing". i love I Cut Off My Hair, The Clocks Were Asleep, and Cinderella. While they are somewhat cryptic, they somehow evoke strong emotions. at the same time, i can certainly appreciate Ink Stains and You for being more explicit in their meanings. i think ballad falls in with the latter group, and i look forward to hearing how/if regina develops it.

sorry if this post is kinda A.D.D... Big Grin

I would really love to hear "Call them Brothers" on the next album. There hasn't been too much outright collaboration/duet-ing since Soviet Kistch, and that song is one of my favorites. It seems to fit in with "Ballad of a Politician," with the somewhat political themes. I do feel like the next album may be somewhat more with a "The Sword & the Pen" vibe.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie R.:

I would really love to hear "Call them Brothers" on the next album. There hasn't been too much outright collaboration/duet-ing since Soviet Kistch, and that song is one of my favorites. It seems to fit in with "Ballad of a Politician," with the somewhat political themes. I do feel like the next album may be somewhat more with a "The Sword & the Pen" vibe.

Jack told us that Call Them Brothers will be on his upcoming Only Son album as a duet with Regina Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

I think Reg will be going into the studio later this fall to start recording the next album. No 3-year wait.

I think that's a silly thing to predict.

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa!:

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

I think Reg will be going into the studio later this fall to start recording the next album. No 3-year wait.

I think that's a silly thing to predict.

Why? Reg herself has stated she could put out 2 albums a year if they(studio execs) let her.