Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Death threat against South Park creators about depicting Allah

Thanks for clearing things up Dananator (Razzer) and Rael.

I agree with you about the dangers of Holy Texts, Rael. I'm very much a Biblical non-literalist, and I get very frustrated with people who take certain things literally, and, let's face it, make the Christian community as a whole seem kind of crazy. I've seen that this problem is generally more common and more severe with Islamic beliefs, which I'm sure is very disconcerting to the millions of sane, contributing Muslims around the world.

Good point. I've met so many Muslims, mostly in the engineering field, when I was in it, who were the nicest, honest, hard working, family people.

Ditto with so many Jews and Christians anywhere and everywhere. I think that's the nail on the head, if you take anything too seriously/literally, you're just a little bit out of touch. Or a lot bit out of touch. Feed em to the lions, I say, or roll them off a boat.

See, there's a sick joke, but it's a joke. I don't watch Southpark, I don't watch television. I've seen Southpark, I've been amused. The one they did about the Mormons seemed to me way more crass and insulting than the bit about Islam. Like Neil Young says in Greendale, in Grandpas Interview, the only thing good about TV is shows like Leave it to Beaver. Hmmmm. I'll pass on that one too. I read books. The pixels make me nuts anymore.

My girlfriend wants to watch TV sometimes, and I just can't anymore. It's been like two years.

I keep telling her, it's the pixels. Oh I watch a little, lately, with her, like she actually has me watching American Idol. Good lord.

But it's fun when it isn't maddening, like when the hideous unqualified judges say someone was off key when they weren't. I have perfect pitch, I know off key. Anyway, as always, I can ramble a thread into another dimension. Aterciopelados with you. (The correct response is and also with you)

^^my bad. haha

i agree that religious extremism (or any misunderstanding of the like, religious or no) is a danger... i personally shy away from 1. making fun of someone's beliefs (spaghetti monster jokes, anyone? [Not trying to name names]!), and 2. claiming i know better than they do on the subject, even if we are of the same faith. i realize that i'm fallible, in the event that you can prove me wrong Smiler

but anyway, how bout that Regina chick? she's pretty wild, eh?

Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

i personally shy away from 1. making fun of someone's beliefs (spaghetti monster jokes, anyone? [Not trying to name names]!), and 2. claiming i know better than they do on the subject, even if we are of the same faith

QUOTE]

i am having trouble deciding if this was an angry comment at me, but if it was- neither of my comments on this thread was intended to disrespect you in any way, bltwp. i didn't mean for the first to sound condescending in any way, i just was adding my thoughts to the conversation at hand. and the second, well i personally throw His Noodliness in there when i feel conversations about religion are getting a bit heavy. i did not mean to make fun of anyone's beliefs-rather it was my way of providing commentary for the whole "religious literalism" turn the conversation had taken.

anyone who takes their religious texts too far (in this case, islamic extremists) may as well be a Pastafarian. i'm sure we can all agree on that.

Oh, no, i didn't mean to single you out, and i wasn't mad.

I consider the FSM arguement to be condescending, and was speaking to that. i didn't mean to make you feel bad! Red Face it was clear that you were just lightening things up, not being a jerk!

sorry if i made you think i was upset. i wasn't--you're allowed to contribute your thoughts, obviously. Sorry for the confusion!

regina who?

well, i'm a bit of know it all, i must admit.

i used to read the holy books, to study the

theology, and yes, to refute it. fundamentalist

christians like to argue. i like to argue, so

it works. muslims can argue too, but i've found

them more polite and understanding in general.

a little irony there, huh?, given that some of

them will cut off your head while you're still

alive if you argue with them too much. the jews,

ya gotta love them. they're like, we don't even want you in our religion, you're kind of not

even allowed, don't waste your time. whatever the case, i always say, show me. show me a miracle. show me something i've never seen, bending the metaphysical. split a sea, put someone in an oven and they come out without

being burnt, etc. i'll sign up the second

anyone shows me. i'll give money. i'm waiting.

quote:
Originally posted by RaelNYC:

show me a miracle. show me something i've never seen, bending the metaphysical. split a sea, put someone in an oven and they come out without

being burnt, etc. i'll sign up the second

anyone shows me. i'll give money. i'm waiting.

it is an evil generation who seeks after a sign...

to be saved, you must believe on faith, rather than expecting God to send you a personal sign. The offer's on the table, i'm not sure why you wish Him to further sweeten the deal (or would it sour the deal, to see Him bend His will to yours?)

However it goes, i wish you good luck finding your miracles. Or your faith, at any rate. Smiler