Sign in to follow this  
lovely little melodies

so apparently being original makes you a freak?

So I have these "friends". They're okay I guess, a couple of them I'm really close with, others... not so much. Anyways, I've typically gone with the popular trends of music and clothes that my friends would follow, but a few months ago that's changed.

Instead of listening to that crap on the radio [no offense to the people who like it Smiler] I discovered regina and a whole different genre of music I've been neglecting for the past 14 years of my life. Also, I started developing my own interests and style.

This all sounds great except for one thing... my friends don't "approve". When I finally built up enough confidence to stop hiding what was on my ipod they all thought I was really weird for listening to regina's music (even though they have no idea what is sounds like). They think it's weird to like literature and that I'm into photography. AAAH! I know this is terribly long but this section of the forum is called "rants" am I right? Anyways I just don't know how to deal with them, I am me and I don't want to be a drone like them, but at the same time I NEED friends in school. What do I do?

So I have these "friends". They're okay I guess, a couple of them I'm really close with, others... not so much. Anyways, I've typically gone with the popular trends of music and clothes that my friends would follow, but a few months ago that's changed.

Instead of listening to that crap on the radio [no offense to the people who like it Smiler] I discovered regina and a whole different genre of music I've been neglecting for the past 14 years of my life. Also, I started developing my own interests and style.

This all sounds great except for one thing... my friends don't "approve". When I finally built up enough confidence to stop hiding what was on my ipod they all thought I was really weird for listening to regina's music (even though they have no idea what is sounds like). They think it's weird to like literature and that I'm into photography. AAAH! I know this is terribly long but this section of the forum is called "rants" am I right? Anyways I just don't know how to deal with them, I am me and I don't want to be a drone like them, but at the same time I NEED friends in school. What do I do?

I know what you mean, and I'm certain I'm not the only other person here who's dealt with that kind of thing.

I'm sure you've heard this kind of thing before, but if your friends can't accept your interests, they aren't really your friends. But I'm sure it's not as simple as that. What I've done is avoid discussing the music I like with my friends. It's really hard when I'm excited about a new album coming out or a concert I'm going to, but it's doable. And personally, I think that's horrible advice, but I don't know what else to tell you. I'm not going to tell you to kick your friends to the curb. What I will suggest is that you don't press the subject with those friends of yours whom you're not so close to, but if it starts to bother you enough, definitely talk to your closer friends about how it bothers you that they don't give your interests a chance.

Besides, 1) Regina is not even the "weirdest" thing out there, and 2) I think it's fantastic that you're into classic literature. I would not be insulted at all if my friends thought it was weird that I like literature. What are they reading, Twilight? Meanwhile, you're educating yourself. Be proud.

I have no idea if this is going to help you at all. I hope something does because I feel like I've been rambling. Smiler

I agree with Rosa. It would be great if it was as simple as "if they can't accept your interests they were never your friends", but usually its not. I'll share what I've done when dealing with this in my life and you can decide for yourself if it seems like an approach you'd like to take.

I started getting into regina in about grade 9 and hence started developing my own style, etc. I had the same problem with the friends not liking it, but i still wanted to have friends. Fortunately, high school is long and there is enough time to drift apart from people without 'breaking up' so to speak. I tried not to bring up my 'tastes' lets say, but if they did come up and i was called out for it, i wouldn't back down. You don't need to apologize for something that isn't a problem. As a result, I'm now almost done grade 11, some of those people are still my friends now and some of them aren't. I find that when you're sure of yourself, the right people are able to find you. You know, the people who were supposed to be your friends all along. Sometimes its the same people and they adapt, sometimes its different people.

Sorry that was strangely long.

@Rosa! and Karl Projektorinski, I really appreciate that you took the time to write something so thoughtful Smiler. I suppose I will just have to deal with the not so accepting friends for now. I mean, I don't expect all my friends to have the same interests and I think I'll survive if the slightest problem I have with school right now is people not agreeing with my music and style. And this is why forums like this are made, to find some other people that have a common interest and are SUPER DUPER AWESOME. Thanks again! I feel a lot better now. :]

I have the same problem at school. My 'friends' think Regina is a freak, but they listen to Taylor Swift, Lil Wayne, Lady GaGa, etc. (No offense to anyone who likes them.) But, what makes them so damn cool? I don't understand it, and probably never will. I came up with the same solution as Rosa, I just don't talk about my musical interests with them, that's what I have you guys for! We are your friends, so don't worry about needing our approval. Smiler

Dude, fourteen year olds suck.

My advice? Dress however the hell you like, listen to whatever the hell you like, talk to whoever's interesting (strike up some interesting conversations with teachers, or the nerdy kid at the back of the room, why not?) And don't mind when people call you weird, honestly they're most likely jealous you have your own personality and the courage to show it.

And anyway, there's someone for everyone, if your current group of friends don't share all your interests, that's fine. I'm sure they're still fun to be around and so you should continue to hang out with them, but I'm sure you can find someone with some similar tastes to introduce to Reg and maybe even go to a concert with one day.

Also, your friends have some growing up yet to do. It's pretty probable that they'll start discovering new music and styles soon too and developing in their own ways.

As said of course, we're always here, and we love Regina and we love you. So no worries =]