Oh, Marcello, never thought Id

Really love you, but I do so

My head waiters head on your platter

Just say the word and [???] make him kiss my gutters

Im just a soul whose intentions are good

Oh lord, please dont let me be misunderstood

Oh, Marcello! Oh, Marcello!

Oh, Marcello, how I wonder

The madonna, when she speak she tell the truth, no?

She been saying, Ill have a baby

When he grow up he become a killer and kill everybody

First off, I love this song. and I found it when I was going through the list of her songs on Songmeanings.net and at first the accent kind of threw me off, but of course it grew on me and I absolutely love it now. I was confused when she mentioned "Im just a soul whose intentions are good.Oh lord, please dont let me be misunderstood" because that has to be an Animals reference, but yet the rest of the song was completely different. I researched the name Marcello and it came between something about the Mafia and the Godfather (I only skimmed, as you can tell.) and an Italian composer. What are your views on this...and how old is this? I couldn't find a record of what concert this was played at..mysterious.

The madonna, she tell the truth, no?

When he grow up he become a killer

Oh, Marcello, never thought Id

Really love you, but I do so

My head waiters head on your platter

Just say the word and [???] make him kiss my gutters

Oh, Marcello! Oh, Marcello!

The madonna, when she speak she tell the truth, no?

When he grow up he become a killer and kill everybody

First off, I love this song. and I found it when I was going through the list of her songs on Songmeanings.net and at first the accent kind of threw me off, but of course it grew on me and I absolutely love it now. I was confused when she mentioned "Im just a soul whose intentions are good.Oh lord, please dont let me be misunderstood" because that has to be an Animals reference, but yet the rest of the song was completely different. I researched the name Marcello and it came between something about the Mafia and the Godfather (I only skimmed, as you can tell.) and an Italian composer. What are your views on this...and how old is this? I couldn't find a record of what concert this was played at..mysterious.

Allow me to preface this by saying, I am seriously confused by this song.

The line- My head waiter's head on your platter

leads me to thinking that the following line actually says- Just say the word and Salome can kiss my gutters

That being in reference to the new testament story where Salome did an erotic dance for King Herod, who, in return, stupidly, offered to grant her one wish. So she requested John the Baptist's head on a platter, and Herod gave it to her.

Herod certainly grew up to become a killer and kill everybody, like his own wife and daugthers as well as issuing the decree to kill all the male babies in a attempt to exterminate Jesus shortly after his birth.

All that being said, it still doesn't exactly make sense to me with the perspective of the song. Nevermind the fact that I have no idea who the hell Marcello is. Please, somebody, help...

Just a small thought:

Everyone thought Messiah (the child of Madonna) would start a holy war and free the Israelian people and kill all the Romans. But then Jesus was born (who is viewed as Messiah in Christianity) and he brought this whole strange message of love instead. That you should love your enemies and not kill them. And the people were disappointed.

I think that this has something to do with the "he'll kill veverybody"-part. I guess Mary also thought her son would extinct the Romans and bring "peace" in that way.

If we play with the thought that it's Jesus narrating, could he refer to John as his head waiter? Maybe. He was the one baptizing. He was Jesus' hands in a way.

Well I don't know. But something along this...

I have noooo idea what this might be about! i do love the new beatbox-y sound effects on it, though.

What i notice about it is, for being such a short song, it includes quite a lot of characters.

there's:

-Narrator

-Marcello

-narrator's head waiter

-Madonna

-(the baby lol)

-and i am inclined to include "lord" as one, because marcello and lord are both prefaced with "oh," and i'm wondering if that couldn't be significant (?)

I agree with the idea that prophesy/the messiah must be important, because, well, she's the madonna, and also because you'd have to be crazy to randomly decide that your kid was going to grow up to be a mass murderer... ("kill everybody" sounds like a little kid talking, dunno if that's important)

also, reference to rome would explain the italian flavor to the song.. Perhaps marcello and the narrator are average Roman citizens speculating on the traditional view of the messiah?

Ok. I'm not sure that I have the solution but I think this is one of the scariest and darkness song of Regina.

First of all, thank you. The references you made to religion are very interesting and I think that without your help, it would have been difficult for me to detect them. Smiler

However, in my opinion, this song is not really about religion. Indeed, I believe that religion and the history with the Mafia are used to show an universal conflict which is the difficulty to separate good from bad.

In fact, I think that they are two main characters in this story, the mother and the baby who become a killer. The "Oh Marcello.." part is said by the mother and the "I'm just a soul.." part is said by the killer. Generally, I believe that this song is the story of a woman who is afraid because her baby will become an horrible person. But when this baby will become a killer, he will not realize that he is horrible because he will think that he is "just a soul whose intentions are good".

I have seen something really interesting in songmeaning. Indeed, someone talked about Hitler. Even if I don't think that this song is about him, it helped me a lot for my interpretation. I read a few books about Hitler and I often talk about the war with my grandparents. Recently, I read one of the most traumatic book of my life. This book is really original because it's not a book about the Holocaust but about Hitler's personality. What is really fascinating but also terrible and revolting with Hitler is that he didn't thought that he was doing wrong, he saw himself as an hero. Also, Hitler had a lack of self-confidence, which seems very paradoxical when you know what he did. I think that something can explain that, he lost his identity. He stopped to be a person and started to be the representative of an horrible organization.

I think that lost its identity is one of the most terrible thing which can happen to a human because you stop thinking by your own, you don't care about the common morality and you just exist for the group.

From this, we can draw a parallel between what I said and the Mafia and religion. Don't worry, I'm not saying that religion is dangerous or that it's the same thing that the Mafia! I'm just saying that, as everything in this world, religion is not perfect and horrible things can happen. I think that the references that you found reinforce this idea. When I think about the negative aspects of religion, I always think about fanaticism. In a way, fanaticism can be compared with the Mafia. Indeed, I read a book about Mafia and there is a sentence very interesting : "First, the honor of a mafia is to dedicate his life at the organization. He no longer exists as an individual. He is only a part of an assembly which is superior to him in everything".

I think that it's exactly what will happen to that baby. And the mother tell to Marcello, the Godfather, if it's true that her baby will become a killer. She understands the issue and she is afraid.

Well.. I'm sorry for the long post. I know that some points are not clear and I hope that I've not extrapolated too much. I just love interpretations with strong meanings and I enjoy thinking about this song in that way. The fact that everyone have a dark side afraid me a lot and I think that it's really fascinating and frightening to think about the loss of Identity.

quote:
oh, marcello, how i wonder!

the madonna; she tell the truth, no?

she been sayin' i'll have a baby,

when he grow up he become a killer...

i'm just a soul who's intentions are good

oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood...

understood.

oh, marcello! never thought i'd

really love you, but i do so

my head waiter's head on your platter,

just say the word and salome can kiss my gutters...

understood?

understood...?

una mira, una mila una mila una mila

una mira, una mila una mila una mila

(mouth gunshots)

understood?

understood...?

oh, marcello, how i wonder!

la madonna, when she speak she tell the truth- oh!

she been sayin' i'll have a baby,

when he grow up he become a killer and kill everybody

understood?

understood...?

oh, marcello, oh, marcello!

(mouth gunshots)

there are slight variations in the order and number of some of the lyrics from performance to performance.

una is an indefinite article in italian (a/an in english), while mira means target (of a gun), and mila means thousand. also, amila means "love her."

i'm having a lot of trouble figuring this out. a couple things i've tried looking into:

carlos marcello

oedipus

pythia

salome

michelangelo

but yeah, i'm really not able to form any coherent explanation about what this is about if it is, actually, not just a story created entirely by regina.