Sign in to follow this  
makingstuffup

RIP Dan Cho

quote:
Originally posted by BabyJesus:

Hi guys...

I was at the concert in Bruges, Belgium (Cactus festival) yesterday. I didn't know the sad news yet Frowner (hadn't been on the net for a couple of days)

You could immediately tell something was very wrong. First everyone was thinking there were some technical problems, because the show started 20 minutes late... but then she came up crying with the drummer and the violin player, the fourth seat remained empty... Frowner

After she played a few songs, she layed her hands on the piano and told us the sad news and said to Dan they were playing for him and thinking of his wife and daughter...

Really remarkable was that, although she was constantly crying in between every song, she managed to sing her songs very 'on tone' and beautiful... She really did her best for Dan! Also the hommage song performed by the violin player/close friend on her green guitar was quite breathtaking (it really amazed me how beautiful he can sing!!)

However, after about 40 minutes, she couldn't bring it up anymore and her voice began shaking during a song, completed the song and then thanked the audience for being with them and praying for Dan and his family. She and her two bandmembers went off stage with a very warming and touching applause by the audience... (see also the vere badly google-trannslate of the articel posted by lennonist)

For me, she really did not have to perform, but I do am happy she did because I was looking forward to this gig for months (we don't get much chances to see her live around here) and I enjoyed every song they played, it was very touching.

To finish: my condolences to Regina and her band and Dan's family. I saw Dan performing here last year in Belgium, really sad he's gone now, hope he fares well up there in heaven! R.I.P.!

Bye guys x

PS: sorry if I made some mistakes! My English isn't that great... ;-)

I was also at the Cactus Festival.

I was far from the stage and didn't notice something was wrong, at the beginning.

After three songs, I began to feel something strange about the atmosphere, so I shouted: "Regina!". Just after that, she started to talk and explained what had happened.

The whole show felt like a struggle against sadness. The audience was respectful and showed sweet support. I personnally felt disconnected, useless and out of place. I encouraged Regina after each song with "woohoo"s which tried to sound sober. They were, or so I hope.

I know she sang for her friend and I understand this. But seeing her and the others like that, I think it was maybe better for her to cancel the show. Not to be forgotten: the press. I know how it works, in the press.

... and of course I wish that Dan Sho rests in peace. Support and love to the family, friends, relatives, acquaintances.

All these posts by people who saw this special concert are very moving and interesting.

She had no obligation to play, of course, and to do so must have taken incredible fortitude, but she, and K, and Dave are musicians and, of course, so was Dan. Musicians play music. They play it at the best of times, and they play it when we are sad. Some of the most beautiful and enduring music we have heard comes from those sad moments and the music they present.

So, and I am sure Reg, K and Dave discussed this, to play for Dan, and to play in his honor was unquestionably very difficult, I am sure, but, well, she is Regina Spektor who could probably fly is we needed her to do so, and apparently she made it---they made it---and I love them for it.

quote:
Originally posted by val:

quote:
Originally posted by BabyJesus:

Hi guys...

I was at the concert in Bruges, Belgium (Cactus festival) yesterday. I didn't know the sad news yet Frowner (hadn't been on the net for a couple of days)

You could immediately tell something was very wrong. First everyone was thinking there were some technical problems, because the show started 20 minutes late... but then she came up crying with the drummer and the violin player, the fourth seat remained empty... Frowner

After she played a few songs, she layed her hands on the piano and told us the sad news and said to Dan they were playing for him and thinking of his wife and daughter...

Really remarkable was that, although she was constantly crying in between every song, she managed to sing her songs very 'on tone' and beautiful... She really did her best for Dan! Also the hommage song performed by the violin player/close friend on her green guitar was quite breathtaking (it really amazed me how beautiful he can sing!!)

However, after about 40 minutes, she couldn't bring it up anymore and her voice began shaking during a song, completed the song and then thanked the audience for being with them and praying for Dan and his family. She and her two bandmembers went off stage with a very warming and touching applause by the audience... (see also the vere badly google-trannslate of the articel posted by lennonist)

For me, she really did not have to perform, but I do am happy she did because I was looking forward to this gig for months (we don't get much chances to see her live around here) and I enjoyed every song they played, it was very touching.

To finish: my condolences to Regina and her band and Dan's family. I saw Dan performing here last year in Belgium, really sad he's gone now, hope he fares well up there in heaven! R.I.P.!

Bye guys x

PS: sorry if I made some mistakes! My English isn't that great... ;-)

I was also at the Cactus Festival.

I was far from the stage and didn't notice something was wrong, at the beginning.

After three songs, I began to feel something strange about the atmosphere, so I shouted: "Regina!". Just after that, she started to talk and explained what had happened.

The whole show felt like a struggle against sadness. The audience was respectful and showed sweet support. I personnally felt disconnected, useless and out of place. I encouraged Regina after each song with "woohoo"s which tried to sound sober. They were, or so I hope.

I know she sang for her friend and I understand this. But seeing her and the others like that, I think it was maybe better for her to cancel the show. Not to be forgotten: the press. I know how it works, in the press.

Obviously everyone is free to do what they feel they should do. It's a very personal choice. We all have our own way of coping with loss. I think that any way you decide to acknowledge this loss is acceptable.

I'm still very numb and haven't decided what I will do.

Anthony, I thought your post on the memorial book site was eloquent.

Thanks Smiler

Life is crazy sometimes ...

I forgot my ticket home and wondered how I could have done that. I was working all day and had a difficult week. I bought a second ticket. I ran like a crazy horse all through Brussels, then Bruges, to get to the show on time. And so did my friend, too.

Later on, I told my friend: "we made great effort, but I think she made greater than us".

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

Do you guys think it would be appropriate for us to participate in this?

http://fordanielcho.wordpress.com/the-memorial-book/

I read this, kind of jumped the gun without really thinking and started an email (it hasn't been sent, though), do you think it would be alright to send or do you think it's a more personal thing?

I think Cho's family obviously would appreciate an outpouring of support, otherwise Regina wouldn't have posted it or they wouldn't have put up in the first place. I think it's safe to say that Cho's family, especially his baby daughter when she grows up, would be appreciative of letters recounting experiences or just saying condolences and words of gratitude, even if the message is from fans. So, go for it and write a nice message or whatever.

I spoke with Dan (and Kay) last summer in New York city at the Apple store. Dan had such an awesome humor about him, he was a joy to talk to. This is another situation where it's simply difficult for me to accept.

I've been crying for the past 15 minutes, maybe more about just feeling what his loved ones must be feeling. I want to say I'm surprised, but I just can't control myself. I've ADORED the contribution of Dan and Kay on strings this past year and a half so much (I've posted that huge love many times) and having spoken to this man, and then seeing he has a wife and daughter, and reading about how it has affected his close friends on the Regina team. It's just unbelievable.

From Regina,

"my three beautiful musician friends, when we were all in Japan together... Dan, K and Dave happy and having fun... I know a lot of people reached out and wanted to help the family, and so the fund is there for you if you want to donate, but at this time it may be good to not overwhelm them with too many letters/emails and to give them privacy and time... it's too much for us all... thank you for thinking of and remembering Dan..."

quote:
Originally posted by bum bum bum:

From Regina,

"my three beautiful musician friends, when we were all in Japan together... Dan, K and Dave happy and having fun... I know a lot of people reached out and wanted to help the family, and so the fund is there for you if you want to donate, but at this time it may be good to not overwhelm them with too many letters/emails and to give them privacy and time... it's too much for us all... thank you for thinking of and remembering Dan..."

I have to agree with her here.

I think his death is tragic, untimely, unfair, HOWEVER despite their having the best intentions, an overwhelming influx of support from perfect strangers who have seen him perform or appreciate him as a musician is probably really overwhelming and even a bit of an invasion of privacy for this poor family. I think reaching out with kind words of comfort to Regina and the band is ok, but as for reaching out to his actual family, that might be a little bit invasive. Just my personal opinion.