Sign in to follow this  
mrimarokr

Joanna Newsom Fans

I didn't know if it was appropriate to start this thread or not, but I've really been wanting to find some others who love Ms. Joanna's music as much as I do so I wanted to dedicate a thread to her Smiler. I'm really in love with her song '81 right now!

I didn't know if it was appropriate to start this thread or not, but I've really been wanting to find some others who love Ms. Joanna's music as much as I do so I wanted to dedicate a thread to her Smiler. I'm really in love with her song '81 right now!

I'm a Joanna Newsom fan! Smiler There are plenty of us here. She's one of my very favorites, right next to Regina (although they're nothing alike).

I thought Have One on Me was phenomenal. I've read some people's opinions that the album sounds to them as though Joanna couldn't decide which songs to put on the album, so she used all of them. It doesn't seem that way to me, but even if that is the case, I don't mind at all. Razzer There is not one song I don't like, not even No Provenance, which seems underrated.

Now I just wish I could see her live! But I don't think she's been to Texas since 2006. Frowner

I think all 3 of her CD's are absolutely phenomenal! My favorite though is "Have One On Me"... I think the songs all work well in their context so I don't understand why other people feel that she just filled up 3 CDs worth. And I agree about No Provenance, it isn't my favorite on the CD but it's terribly under-rated Frowner. I really love Baby Birch, '81, and Good Intentions Paving Co. the most at the moment... it's a lot to listen to so I may not have gotten the feeling for each song yet so I'm probably not judging fairly. But, I'm glad to hear their are several fans because no one I know is a fan of hers :/. I hope you can see her live, I really want to see her live too Smiler.

ah. I remember in my drunken state not being able to concentrate because the thought "she sounds like Lisa Simpson" just kept going round my brain. That is a cracking song though.

quote:
Originally posted by mrimarokr:

it's a lot to listen to so I may not have gotten the feeling for each song yet so I'm probably not judging fairly.

I know what you mean. Smiler The only song I really haven't gotten into is Autumn...actually, I think I've only listened to it twice. Red Face But every other song I at least like, like Occident, No Provenance, '81, You and Me Bess...The songs I absolutely love are Easy, Good Intentions Paving Company, On a Good Day, In California, Soft as Chalk, Esme, and Ribbon Bows. All the rest I like a whole lot. Smiler Such a solid album, especially considering all of that music.

quote:
But, I'm glad to hear their are several fans because no one I know is a fan of hers :/. I hope you can see her live, I really want to see her live too Smiler.

I only have one friend who's a fan of Joanna, but she lives in Arkansas now. Frowner Anyway, she doesn't like her as much as I do, so I can almost relate.

And thanks! I hope you get to see her too.

Autumn actually was personal because I have a friend named Autumn who is moving away from my hometown... the line just made me feel like she wrote the song on spot for me.