Sign in to follow this  
eshbach

2010.09.27 - The Music Hall of Williamsburg - A benefit for the Cho family

Regina played three songs:

Eet

Blue Lips

Wallet

Earlier in Jack's set, they sang Call Them Brothers.

Everything was really just bittersweet tonight. I'll upload the vids when I get home.

quote:
Originally posted by altered ego:

First video's up:

Quality is still being processed at the moment. Regina starts talking about Dan in the beginning.

Awwwww, she did so well! She talked about Dan in the beginning and didn't shed a tear--I'm so proud.

;]

And I must also say that the choice of those three songs seemed very appropriate--sad, but appropriate. I think this may sound badly; but I wonder if this is something that will take a toll on her music? I don't know. I hope that she feels better and is more like she used to seem but...I can't help but think this will impact her, her writing, and performing in a rather profound way. I just hop everyone is okay, and that things get better for them all.

Frowner

quote:
Originally posted by altered ego:

First video's up:

Quality is still being processed at the moment. Regina starts talking about Dan in the beginning.

Thank you. Thank you. I was there, upstairs.

I'm home, so time for the usual brief status report:

Recordings -- Jenny and Regina seem ok. Jack's set did not record properly (dammit), which means no audio for 'Call them Brothers'. Hopefully someone else got a nice video of it instead.

Pictures -- I got at least one decent photo of every band that played and I'll be posting those shortly.

We (for various definitions of 'we') had various interaction with Jenny, Jack, and Regina throughout the day.

I actually forgot my tickets (!) and, as I was arriving at the venue at about the same time as Jenny, I told her about it and she said some prayers for me, but ultimately it was the hand of srg that got me a ticket.

Jack and Regina said hello on their way into the venue and Regina told us to try to keep out of the rain.

Jack and Jenny came into the restaurant we were eating dinner at (just as we were getting ready to leave, unfortunately) and they asked if the food was good. We told them it was and they got a table.

When Jenny came out on stage, she was slightly concerned about performing immediately after the 'tribute slide show', because 'she was going to sing a bunch of songs about boning'. Her on-stage banter with the front row was definitely the best.

When Regina came out during Jack's set to do 'Call them Brothers', she was still wearing her giant flowery rubber boots, and said something like "Oh, I meant to take these boots off..." I told her they looked fantastic (she was about a foot away from me at that point) and she just smiled Smiler

After the show, we asked Jenny if she needed help carrying her stuff out to her car, but she turned us down. We got to talk to her about various things, like her upcoming show in Cleveland, what music video I'm going to make her do, etc. She was very good-humored and it was a fun time. We all got high-fives at the end.

Jack and Regina came out a little later and I mostly talked to Jack so I missed most of what Regina said (sorry, Jamie will fill you in, I'm sure), but I think in general she just thanked us for coming and said that there'd be better times (for socializing I assume) coming.

So that's my off-the-cuff initial recap. Hopefully it has whet your appetite for the photos and audio I'll be posting and the various videos and such that Jamie and others are sure to have.

And as promised, here are some photos of the evening:

Rachel Platten

2_Rachel.jpg

Carina Round

3_Carina.jpg

Wes Hutchinson

4_Wes.jpg

Cooper

5_Cooper.jpg

Tracy Bonham

6_Tracy.jpg

The Candles

7_Candles.jpg

Jenny Owen Youngs

8_Jenny.jpg

8_Jenny2.jpg

Only Son

9_Jack.jpg

Jack and Regina

9_JackAndRegina.jpg

Jupiter One

10_JupiterOne.jpg

10_JupiterOne2.jpg

Regina Spektor

11_Regina.jpg

11_Regina2.jpg

Honestly, from my own brief conversation with Regina and the night in general, I think the better times was a reference to the sadness that brought us together.

Ah but the us was quite something. Yes, for me Regina and Jenny (with Chris Kuffner, singing the Bess Rogers' parts---) were the main attraction, but there was nobody who was not absolutely excellent. Jupiter One, and K, as always, Jack is a treasure in his own right. But Cooper, The Candles----everyone, Wes, Carina Round---all great.

Of those I have no heard enough of in the past, Rachel Platten knocked my socks off, and, I expected Tracy Bonham to do so as well, and she did.

Great, if somber night. Quite a tribute to someone who meant a lot to those of us who did not know him, and more so to those who did.

And then I woke up to a a new Nellie McKay album. Things are looking up already.

quote:
Originally posted by eshbach:

I'm home, so time for the usual brief status report:

Recordings -- Jenny and Regina seem ok. Jack's set did not record properly (dammit), which means no audio for 'Call them Brothers'. Hopefully someone else got a nice video of it instead.

Pictures -- I got at least one decent photo of every band that played and I'll be posting those shortly.

We (for various definitions of 'we') had various interaction with Jenny, Jack, and Regina throughout the day.

I actually forgot my tickets (!) and, as I was arriving at the venue at about the same time as Jenny, I told her about it and she said some prayers for me, but ultimately it was the hand of srg that got me a ticket.

Jack and Regina said hello on their way into the venue and Regina told us to try to keep out of the rain.

Jack and Jenny came into the restaurant we were eating dinner at (just as we were getting ready to leave, unfortunately) and they asked if the food was good. We told them it was and they got a table.

When Jenny came out on stage, she was slightly concerned about performing immediately after the 'tribute slide show', because 'she was going to sing a bunch of songs about boning'. Her on-stage banter with the front row was definitely the best.

When Regina came out during Jack's set to do 'Call them Brothers', she was still wearing her giant flowery rubber boots, and said something like "Oh, I meant to take these boots off..." I told her they looked fantastic (she was about a foot away from me at that point) and she just smiled Smiler

After the show, we asked Jenny if she needed help carrying her stuff out to her car, but she turned us down. We got to talk to her about various things, like her upcoming show in Cleveland, what music video I'm going to make her do, etc. She was very good-humored and it was a fun time. We all got high-fives at the end.

Jack and Regina came out a little later and I mostly talked to Jack so I missed most of what Regina said (sorry, Jamie will fill you in, I'm sure), but I think in general she just thanked us for coming and said that there'd be better times (for socializing I assume) coming.

So that's my off-the-cuff initial recap. Hopefully it has whet your appetite for the photos and audio I'll be posting and the various videos and such that Jamie and others are sure to have.