Sign in to follow this  
eshbach

2010.09.27 - The Music Hall of Williamsburg - A benefit for the Cho family

Here's the audio from Regina's set:

01 - Reflections on Dan

02 - Eet

03 - Blue Lips

04 - The Wallet

I had the microphone gain turned way up to record Regina talking at the beginning, which means there was a lot of hiss on the recording. I was able to get rid of most of that, except at the very end where she was basically whispering.

Unfortunately I forgot to turn the gain down until she was already a couple chords into Eet, and so on the recording you can hear the gain knob roll down. Now, I have made the song a (fairly) consistent volume, but that means the rolling gain knob just sounds like a weird warbling for about 1 second of the opening chord progression. If anyone knows how to fix that, please let me know.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the quality here. I had my microphone sitting on the stage next to a monitor so it worked out pretty well.

Haha thanks almostspotless, and anyone else who’s still interested.

Anyone who's not you can cut right to the goods- Call Them Brothers

As I’m sure you all gathered, I did make it. That was after 3 American flight cancellations and rebookings, and me finally walking up to the Continental desk and saying, "Please." They put me on one of their delayed flights, and they didn’t even charge me extra. Evidentially, all of this was because of the heavy clouds in NY. It’s strange how very calm I was about the whole thing. I somehow knew I’d get there.

Anyway, after all the traveling, I arrived at the venue at about 4:30. Just in time to catch part of Call them Brothers being soundchecked. After seeking food and bumping into Jack and Jenny and crew in the restaurant, we returned to wait in the on-again off-again rain. No weather could’ve been a more appropriate setting than the thick grey ceiling of clouds looming darkly overhead. A few more brumstix showed up, but at 1 hour before doors there were only about 8 of us waiting. As door time ticked closer, we all pondered, would we be alone, just us, inside?! It really felt almost embarrassing how few people there were for such an important cause. Finally, by 15 minutes to doors somewhat of a line had formed and the turnout looked slightly less pitiful. I watched carefully, and did not miss it as Dan’s wife exited a vehicle, walked swiftly and directly through the people on the sidewalk, and slipped inside followed by (I assume) a friend.

Inside we assumed our positions right against the stage, close enough to touch all the cables and equipment and surely the musicians as well. Much discussion was had about which wires would be the most fun to unplug. But we’d never do that...

Rachael Platten opened the show. Not only was she incredibly good, but she was a perfect opener. Each band played 3 songs a piece, and things moved very quickly. The show started at 8, and at 8:20 I was looking at my watch while the 3rd bad was taking the stage. It was very impressive, the variety of music/types of bands that were represented. Dan clearly didn’t limit himself musically.

Dan’s wife made a slideshow, and it was played for us partway through the show. It was organized, with pictures of Dan from childhood, growing up, and with his family, etc. A bit later, there was a second slideshow, made by the regina camp. It had bits of footage from the London show last December and pictures from various parts of the tours. My only gripe was the pictures went by far too quickly. I did attempt to record this, so I’ll have to see if it’s total crap or not (the staff was really getting on people for recording things so I was being stealthy about it.) Finally, a later interlude, included Cooper reading a letter written by Dan’s wife which was an overview and thank you for the night.

Jenny Owen Youngs, was a little intimidated by having to follow that directly. So, as she set up equipment, she broke the ice, for those of us right in the front anyway, with her ever so witty sarcastic banter. I must say, though I’m always happy to be in the front row, it was particularly special for this show because the closeness afforded the ability to really see everyone’s true expressions. At a distance, pained smiles may just resemble smiles, and eyes burgeoning with tears might just look like eyes. Up front there was no way to escape the reality of the night.

Anyway, I took videos of Jenny’s set, but they could be bad since I had the camera sitting on the stage un-manned. Jack/Only Son’s set I know I took decent videos; I was caring less about stealth and more about quality as the night wore on. He started with My Museum, and moved on to a new song that I’d never heard, at which time, it was becoming impossible for me not to cry. Then he told a story about Dan recording parts for the song Magic, and how he’d done flawlessly brilliant in one take. Jack, "hit save like 6 times just to be sure." As Dan asked, "would you like me to play it a different way?" "No," Jack replied awestruck, "I would not like that at all." Jack then performed Magic, which, in my opinion, showcases his voice soo very well. At this point I was becoming way more emotional than I’d have liked, but as regina came to the stage wearing all black (a shawl with a black blouse tucked into the skirt from Irving plaza and black tights) along with her flowery rain boots, she elicited a smile by directing all attention to them, "Oh shit, I was supposed to take these boots off..." But it was fleeting because, standing in the front row (less than 2 feet away), seeing the pained expression on her face as SHE struggled not to cry, I had no choice but to cry. At the time, I felt doubly upset, I knew that this was going to be my favorite part of the night and I was supposed to be enjoying it most of all, yet all I could concentrate on was regina’s face. Her welling eyes remained mostly closed, her face contorted with pain numerous times, as she sang leaning on the microphone stand. She barely looked at Jack at all, and did not exchange cute knowing smiles with him. It was obviously difficult. But, she sang, and sang well. It was great, and epic being so close, but it was not quite the duet we had heard/seen the last time- on their part as performers, and on my part as a distraught observer.

Jupiter One, gave a bit of emotional respite, but not much. I was still looking at them, knowing how close they’d been to Dan. Being nearly certain that at least one of them had been with him when he died, a million questions raced through my mind. How is it that they are all still alive? How did they feel? How could someone just like them actually die? How do they go on? What if...? But K was good at giving some perspective as well as knocking our socks off with an awesome performance. I think I liked Jupiter One better than I ever had last night.

I felt oddly tense knowing regina was coming back, considering how hard one song had been. Four chairs awaited string players. Four? We wondered; had she still set a place for Dan? Alas, she had not. Yoed, Beth, and K took their usual places, but were joined by some other guy, a violinist (who never was introduced). Regina glided back down the stairs, now minus the rain boots and shawl. She sat down at the piano, and began to speak. Her words, "it’s been transformative knowing Dan in life, and transformative having him go" felt monumentally overwhelming. She so eloquently stabbed me in the heart even as she struggled to maintain her smile and evenness in her voice. "...having him go." I keep hearing it over and over in my head. She continued speaking, attention focused on inspecting the piano and playing with her hands in front of her. When she finished, her tribute was accepted with silence. The entire night actually, the crowd was super respectful and there were many moments of utter silence in the large, now very full room.

Regina went on to play Eet, Blue Lips, and The Wallet. She was just like everyone else, only 3 songs. We were surprised, but it didn’t really matter (well it didn’t matter much to me, but later I heard two [really dumb] girls in the bathroom pondering, "You think that’s how all of her shows are?" "What do you mean?" "You know, just, really short."). Though Regina played well, my mind was fixated on the sadness in her expressions, and the heaviness in my own heart. I didn’t even register, until today, she hadn’t been wearing lipstick. The show closed at 11pm (it was super early considering!) with an encore of sorts, of a song Dan had written and had big plans for.

The others departed and, surprisingly, only 3 of us remained to wait. It was nice not to be thrown outside into the rain. We watched as all of the musicians and everyone else slowly exited. Dave (regina’s drummer) greeted me with a hug and a kiss and, even remembering my name, thanked us for being there. Regina’s parents and aunt, readied themselves to leave in the entryway. Her dad smiled; I waved. As Aaron mentioned, as Jenny was lugging equipment out we offered to help, but ended up just talking instead. I made it very clear, that I was excited about her show in Cleveland which confused her a lot since we were standing in Brooklyn. The ensuing conversation was highly convoluted and hilarious on both of our accounts.

Not long after, a crowd including Jack and Regina emerged from the doors. I’m glad that a huge fan goup wasn’t waiting to pounce upon her, because she looked, understandably, drained. However, that didn’t stop me (I know, what a jerk I am). As Regina walked closer I abruptly told her, "you cannot leave until I hug you." And, dropping all my things to the floor, I hugged her. I added quietly, in her ear, that I had been waiting nearly 3 months for this. At which point, she sank into me, squeezing harder. In a moment we stepped apart, and she thanked me for coming. Words, though, were flat and inadequate. It felt like we were standing at the edge of a giant chasm of emotion, but couldn’t really express anything well. It was then that I heard myself say, "it’s because I love you." At which time she immediately wrapped me in another embrace with astonishing intensity. It was wonderful and terrible. I felt as if I was melting into her, feeling the buttery leather of her jacket, breathing deeply in her hair. It was a hug that said all the things neither of us could say, and did a much better job than words anyway.

We parted with the hope that better times will be ahead. Although, my heart still felt as heavy as lead as we walked off down the street, it definitely felt less broken. The night was beautiful and important, but difficult. I’m glad that I was able to be there, for everyone else, and for myself too.

I have lots of other videos and whatnot. I'll get sorted/posted soon.

Wow. ^ That was very well written and thouroughly enjoyed, I felt like I was there.

=]

It's odd though--I admit this somewhat reluctantly for fear that I'm just crazy. I wasn't able to make it to the Tribute but I actually stayed up to see when some videos were posted, and the impact and sentiment so obviously expressed in Regina's segments alone made me very, very sad and empathetic. I felt so much for her--so much so I couldn't sleep. It makes me feel kind of silly to say it, but I haven't even seen her in person but the events leading up to this, and how she is depicted make me feel like I know her, and should support her in any way a fan like me is able. I question if attending the show was a way for me to do that, though--If I cried watching the videos, I can only imagine the emotional fit I would be in had I been there in person.

;P

On a lighter note, and hopefully not unpleasant--I am jealous you were given a regina hug--and a significant one, too.

I am sorry if I decreased the significant of your post with this.

=/

Very nicely written. For various reasons, I sat next to Regina's family most of the night and my own brief conversation with Reg is consistent with what you have conveyed.

quote:
Originally posted by NOJ ROBAT:

Wow. ^ That was very well written and thouroughly enjoyed, I felt like I was there.

=]

It's odd though--I admit this somewhat reluctantly for fear that I'm just crazy. I wasn't able to make it to the Tribute but I actually stayed up to see when some videos were posted, and the impact and sentiment so obviously expressed in Regina's segments alone made me very, very sad and empathetic. I felt so much for her--so much so I couldn't sleep. It makes me feel kind of silly to say it, but I haven't even seen her in person but the events leading up to this, and how she is depicted make me feel like I know her, and should support her in any way a fan like me is able. I question if attending the show was a way for me to do that, though--If I cried watching the videos, I can only imagine the emotional fit I would be in had I been there in person.

;P

On a lighter note, and hopefully not unpleasant--I am jealous you were given a regina hug--and a significant one, too.

I am sorry if I decreased the significant of your post with this.

=/

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

Inside we assumed our positions right against the stage, close enough to touch all the cables and equipment and surely the musicians as well. Much discussion was had about which wires would be the most fun to unplug. But we’d never do that...

Yes, quite the temptation, especially considering the labels...

1_Gizmos.jpg

Nice recordings, thanks.

She sounded amazing and it was strange to hear a live recording with no yelling out from the audience (not that I'm against the audience yelling out under normal circumstances).

Nice account of the day too - I love to read these stories.

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

I added quietly, in her ear, that I had been waiting nearly 3 months for this. At which point, she sank into me, squeezing harder. In a moment we stepped apart, and she thanked me for coming. Words, though, were flat and inadequate. It felt like we were standing at the edge of a giant chasm of emotion, but couldn’t really express anything well. It was then that I heard myself say, "it’s because I love you." At which time she immediately wrapped me in another embrace with astonishing intensity. It was wonderful and terrible. I felt as if I was melting into her, feeling the buttery leather of her jacket, breathing deeply in her hair. It was a hug that said all the things neither of us could say, and did a much better job than words anyway.

Reminds me of your signature.

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

Reminds me of your signature.

Those are HER words from the Beacon Show. =)

Sorry I'm so slow. Whoever was asking, I didn't take any videos of Rachel. But I really wish I had. Frowner Also, I warn in advance, the sound really sucks at times, mainly because the camera was on the stage right beside the monitors. Some of the vids are sideways... yeah, when I'm THAT close and don't have a wide angle lens, people will just have to deal until I get a new camera.

Videos galore:

Lead to the Sea- Jenny Owen Youngs

Start + Stop- Jenny

My Museum- Only Son

"All is Holy"- Only Son (This song was so good and definitely cracked my facade of keeping-it-togetherness. I'm only assuming about the title here, btw.

Magic- Only Son

Call Them Brothers <3, amazingness, & cute boots

Regina's intro

Eet

Blue Lips

The Wallet (believe it or not, my first time hearing it live in person)

Encore (no regina)