Sign in to follow this  
davidh

Announcement about DVD :)

quote:
Originally posted by ks1990:

I was just wondering, does anyone who has a copy in America know if the dvd comes in a regular dvd case, a plastic CD jewel case, or cardboard packaging?

I got it in the US in a beautiful cardboard package, with gorgeous liner notes by Reg, which are beautifully written about Adria, Jenny, K, Dan, Dave and Regina and the rest of who was with them in England.

And what is inside is priceless.

So, when I have calmed down enough to think rationally about this, I will probably scribble something here, but, in the meantime, a few things jump out at me, aside from Regina, Regina, Regina. (She really is incredible, in a thousand ways).

1. Adria Petty is a very talented filmmaker. No tv director should be allowed to handle a musical performance until they have watched what she does. (I know that tv makes many demands that film does not, but, oh, tv people, watch what Adria does and try real hard to do the same thing on a tv way, and I will understand if you don't quite succeed given the limitations and immediacy. But just try)

2. Even while we mourn Dan, Dave and K are truly talented musicians as well. There is really nothing K can't do and Dave Heilman is as great a drummer as there is. Yoed Nir and Elizabeth Myers are not as well known to me, but they sound very good. (I wonder if I saw either at Radio City or The Music Hall of Williamsburg)

3. Jenny Owen Youngs is not the only person who looks great in those hats with the floppy ears. Who woulda thunk it, tho?

4. The instrumental music over the credits should have its own place. Just gorgeous.

5. The people who don't like the production stuff on Far should be happy. The rest of us (at least this writer) are ecstatic to have both.

6. I hate this expression that some of you use (or used to use): OMG. But it really does apply to this thing.

she is absolutely breathtaking. i can't even believe she's real. but she is. isn't that nuts?

Also, I was just wondering, does she have perfect pitch?

Because she always starts Silly Eye Color Generalizations in the same key, and she never gets a starting pitch. So I was curious.

(On second thought, she always gets a pitch for Love, You're a Whore so maybe not... but wouldn't that be cool?)

I was thinking about that too. I think she might have perfect pitch.

I was at this London show, and there was a part of the show (which I assume got cut from the final dvd) where she told us to 'talk amongst ourselves', while she asked to get the piano re-tuned, and she kept making gestures to someone who was backstage, until the piano keys sounded right to her. So maybe she does have perfect pitch, or a damn good ear anyways.

I kind of hope she doesn't, because perfect pitch can be a curse. If someone is whistling a song and they have the interval right but not the key, it is incredibly irritating. The only time it's useful is for tuning stringed instruments. It's like having a really good understanding of grammar and hearing every single misuse of the language.

"Live in London" is making a little mark on iTunes so far.

On overall albums, the album is #138. The movie is #20 under "Music Movies," and "The Call" is the #190 song on Alternative. (Fidelity (BTH version), for reference, is #219.)