MusicLover_2007

MusicLover's Politics Thread

I frankly would be happy to discuss politics with anyone except MusicLover. As the saying goes, some of my best (if misguided) friends hold strong political views that are the opposite of mine. But MuiscLover is just trying to cause trouble. I am with Raph.

quote:
Originally posted by sweetness in my lungs:

I don't know if responding makes things worse or better. I will try anyway.

I just wanted to say that I think it should be okay to discuss politics here. (I hope you don't take offense, Raph and Wishful Friend) Since regina cares about it and wants her fans and young people to care about it, to me it's not strange to discuss politics. It's just that your approach to it most of the time, MusicLover, comes off as hostile and you don't seem open to discuss or share. You just seem open to letting people know your opinions or making liberals look bad. I think that if the approach was different there shouldn't be a problem exchanging opinions, sharing information, accepting that people think differently and be interested in eachother's political views. Even here.

It's the difference between responding to "Oh here's an artist that I really like. I think her lyrics are excellent and her voice is angelic" with either

A: "Oh. You really like her that much? I think the lyrics in this song is...pretty bland actually, if you don't mind me saying so. Her voice is pretty good but here's another artist that I think sings better. Maybe you'll like her? I will look into your artist and tell you what I think after giving her a chance" or

B:"Man! She sucks! Did you see what she did here? It's just wrong! She's a horrible person and her music is absolute crap. And you know she even hits her dog when she thinks no one's around".

I'm not saying it's your intention to react as person B, but most of the time (to me, my opinion) you come off that way. Can you see it, MusicLover? Not just in politics. Even when we discuss reg's music you give responses that come off as rude when I'm sure that's not your intention.

If no one agrees with me that's fine, but I don't think it should be such a big problem. (easy for me to say, when I'm not that into discussing politics anyway) We discuss soup, mortality, personal life and many other things that are not realted to Regina. Why not politics? In a behaved manner.

Thank you. It's just that Regina goes on these TV interviews, she knows that her fanbase is going to watch them. I don't think she is malicious in her political view, she just naively assumes that everyone else thinks exactly the same as she does. It's the product of her upbringing and going to SUNY Purchase where everyone else was a liberal. She can't even comprehend that someone can dislike Obama.

It's not that I take offense to politics, I'm actually quite involved and was a government major myself, but I suppose it is the way they are being 'discussed' on this thread that was disappointing. This thread did not appear to be an open forum, only a place to post one view (aptly named thread), and anyone who cares to post a differing opinion was just attacked or demeaned.

quote:
Originally posted by Wishful Friend:

It's not that I take offense to politics, I'm actually quite involved and was a government major myself, but I suppose it is the way they are being 'discussed' on this thread that was disappointing. This thread did not appear to be an open forum, only a place to post one view (aptly named thread), and anyone who cares to post a differing opinion was just attacked or demeaned.

Isn't that typical. Expressing a dissenting opinion = attack/demeaning. Project much?

I guess I can't tell at this point if you really are trolling, or if you can't see how you responded right there is a prime example of what I just said. It just appears to be no discussion on this thread. I wish you all the luck with your thread though. I'm glad you have somewhere to post your thoughts.

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

quote:
Originally posted by Wishful Friend:

Isn't that typical. Expressing a dissenting opinion = attack/demeaning. Project much?

MusicLover! You just did it again!! Come on, man! I'm done. I thought there was reasoning with you if I just explained the problem. We know you're upset because you think regina doesn't understand that people can be con-Obama, but come on.

You did not respond to Wishful Friend's post in a discussional way. The "I see what you mean, but I don't see it that way" was not there. You just make up a punchline to insult or stupify instead of explaining you opinion. Every time. I'm sorry, but a debate with you in real life would be hopeless. No one would get anything said. You just build a wall right away.

Clearly my post where I tried to explain the issue with this thread and your approach, MusicLover, was useless. I don't think I made it worse anyway. Yey. But not better either.

I'm done. I will try not respond to this thread anymore. I feel that I tried and you didn't listen.

hahaha! i love musiclover's posts. They're just funny to me, unless something truly offensive is said, though i can't think of a specific example.

I think musiclover is a true fan of regina's music, and has a very blunt way of expressing his (her?) opinions. I don't have a problem with that, and i find it refreshing, if entertaining. Just take it with a grain of salt Smiler

Also, i agree with Sweetness' point about political discussion! We talk about everything here, so politics should be allowed, too. Even if musiclover tends to answer in a way that is fiery, dismissive, and somewhat insulting, i think in a way that keeps things light, because you can't take that sort of argument 100% seriously--it's absurd and a little childish.

Rock on musiclover!

Oh, and i disagree that regina thinks everyone agrees with her support for obama. Clearly that's not fair to say. It's more plausible that she has strong convictions are isn't shy about expressing them. That doesn't mean she thinks we agree, it means she doesn't care whether we do or not. She's smart and well-read and well-informed. She knows that everyone is entitled to their own convictions and opinions. But i think you knew that already, musiclover Wink

There's no reasoning with musiclover because he doesn't want to be reasoned with. You're lucky if he even acknowledges any of your points. haha

He can actually be tolerable if everyone ignores his more inflammatory remarks. I just think it's funny that every once in a while he turns up and tries to get some of our newer members to fall into his traps. It's hard for the older members too. I almost tried responding to the comment about Regina thinking that all her fans support Obama just because she does. Roll Eyes

I don't think there's a rule against bringing up politics and having discussions about it. Anyone can make their own threads on the subject. Just don't take musiclover too seriously when he inevitably tries to stir the pot! haha

Now I don’t know if I should even say anything, I don’t want to fall into a trap. Red FaceWink

I am a bit apprehensive, but have you read what Regina says in this article, musiclover?

quote:
"I obviously, like everyone else, wish that things could get done faster and I don't agree with all the policies, but I think on a human level... politicians like him are rare. We're lucky to have him as president. I can't begin to imagine what happens if he doesn't get elected again."

Yes, she is a fan of Obama but she knows he is not perfect and not everyone supports him. You shouldn’t feel excluded in some way just because you hold different political views than her. Of course she doesn’t believe every one of her fans thinks like she does or even that they should.

quote:
Nonetheless, I don't think she's necessarily a doctrinarian Democrat. "I'm a very liberal-minded person but I'm not a blanket anything," she says, adding of the other side of the party divide that "at its core they are really cool… before it got hijacked by all the fear-mongers and Bible stompers and all the scary people who made the Republican platform a platform of hate. There's an interesting fiscal [idea there] and other things that are good points. If there was just...

"I would be so excited if there was a real candidate who had real points," she continues. "I would be excited for that person – to give the Democrats a difficult run – just because they would be a worthy opponent."

Like you said, she isn’t malicious about her political views, she just isn’t afraid to share what they are. I like that she doesn’t consider herself ‘a blanket anything’. She is an intelligent, confident person who can make up her own mind and opinions and respects that others are entitled to their opinions too. She is a more liberal-minded person (and I hope you won’t focus too much on the negative things she says) but she can appreciate that the Republican party has some good points at its core.

If Regina can say that then maybe you can see that people who have differing views than yourself might have good points as well. I'm not a very political person but i think it would be more productive to discuss politics if everyone were to be respectful and civil to each other, rather than replying sarcastically when you don’t like what someone says. People would be more willing to hear your opinions and reasoning if you were to at least try to understand others' viewpoints, even if you’ll never agree with them.

Anyway, I hope I didn’t provoke anything negative, I just thought that article would be of interest to you.

What can I say. The GOP is infested by Christian crazies and gay haters that make it impossible for liberal-minded people to vote for them. I wish it wasn't so, but that's reality. The fact is, with the current crushing debt levels, we can't afford to vote on the basis of gay rights right now. It's unfortunate, but true. Re-electing Obama is sending the message that crushing debt is ok.