Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

DVD Screenings

Naturally, I couldn't resist and decided to go see the first screening this past Friday (I'm pretty sure in the same auditorium where I first saw Rocky Horror a million years ago...I digress). Attendance was admittedly pretty sparse, but we happy few were rewarded with copies of this nice poster (about 11x17):

screening-poster.jpg

I may be biased, but I really think it's rather good--the performance is, of course, excellent, and the backstage & soundcheck stuff is pretty cool, and integrated well with the main concert. If anything, I felt that it could have used more of that abstract, montage-y stuff to hang the performance on, or perhaps more dramatic staging of the performance itself.

In any case, it's really neat seeing regina projected on the big screen, and I'm looking forward to doing it again on Tuesday.

Eeee, just got back from a screening at the Village Cinemas (and i'm also rosy with infused vodka so take this post as you will.) Totally scored the same poster that srg posted. =D

So here are my recommendations/review. First, if you can get to a screening, DO IT. Seeing reg in a theater on the big screen is even more fantastic than anticipated. Second, if you're going to watch it at home, do it in complete darkeness. Seriously.

As for my thoughts- LOVE!

A few more details. Though I was kind of quizzical about the announced tracklist order of the DVD- ultimately, it ruled. It wasn't the traditional everyday "far tour" setlist order. So it feels- unique, special and sort of unaffliated with anything in particular. Just regina goodness. I liked On the radio as the opener. Some of the film is a bit intense because there is a lot of Dan footage, and if you start thinking too much, you start crying... esp Blue Lips. However, I must say Apres Moi was like the freaky-ist thing i've ever witnessed. It reminded me of some horror movie, like The Ring. The slightly weird camera angle and the creepy not-quite realtime, not-quite stop-motion appearance and the red cask had me expecting to see her like in my face with blood coming out of her or something at the next second. (maybe a tad dramatic, but it was kinda scary and a very different perspective on that song for me.) Hotel song, I'm really suspicious that it was artifically sped up. The tempo was INSANE. The Calculation intro was, well, a perfect discription of how I feel about that song. "YAYYYYY!" That Time is just a really good performance, full of super regina cuteness. And Man of a Thousand Faces may have been my favorite video effect-wise. The effects overally were certainly not overwhelming, IMO.

While there's probably nothing better than going to a concert and standing right in the front; even in doing so, you can NEVER EVER see her hands as well as you do in this film. I have a super appreciation for the camera directed right at her hands, it is miraculously amazingly wonderful. As most of us can imagine that having cameras shoved like 10 inches from our face could give some terribly unflattering footage, that doesn't really happen to regina. Yeah, one camera has a bit of a crazy angle. But that's not her fault. She doesn't look flawed. Though I shouldn't be shocked, but I kind of am, at how insanely beautiful she looks even in constant super close-ups. Truly if I ever hear another complaint about her nose, I'm going to strap this person down and force them to watch this entire DVD. Gahhh it's amazing. I love her NOSE. I love all of her, but her nose is just the best ever.

The behind the scenes stuff was cute, which is good because a vast majority of her "during the show" cuteness was edited out- since most of it happens between the songs. The only thing is that the non-show stuff seemed, not surprisingly, fast and blurry, very Adria. Though I can't wait to see the Bonus Material.

Two last things of interest- during our showing there were only 3 of us in the theater. Me, eshbach and some guy who came in (while the theater was playing regina studio album songs) and asked us "is this the regina thing?" Heh, as if the music wasn't a tip off. It was weird. Then near the end of Blue Lips the entire projector went dead, but the sound was still playing. We actually had to get a theater person to get the video back on. AKA Aaron went to get someone and sat there in the pitch darkness listening to Machine. Not going to lie, even that was pretty spektacular.

quote:
Originally posted by .:

When I first got inside, a man was there to give out posters, as well as apologise to people for Regina's absence, and give people a chance to exchange their tickets for Tuesday, considering they had bought the tickets prior to the announcement that she was canceling her appearance tonight. Unfortunately, I still have to work tomorrow Frowner I was, however, still excited to see this thing.

RAY! Haha, that guy who was giving out posters was such a sweetheart. I went in with two of my friends, and we decided to switch our tickets in for Tuesday Smiler

For anyone coming tomorrow though, he said that Regina would only be around briefly to say hi in the beginning of the show. I have no idea why I thought she'd be watching it with us (? being too hopeful Razzer) but in case anyone was under that same impression, she'll apparently just be in and out.

quote:
Originally posted by .:

Having seen her live in four different states, I initially thought seeing a concert dvd in a screening room would pale in comparison (though, of course, this is true for anything at all without Regina in person). It was a different experience from seeing her live, so I couldn't say one way or the other that one is better. They're just different.

Yeah, nothing compares to seeing her physically in front of you. But sometimes, when afforded the luxury of high quality filming you might just be secretly happy that you are sitting in the comfort of your own home watching a show instead of, say, sweltering in the masses of Bonnaroo or something.

In all seriousness, I too tried really hard to wrap my mind around how watching this video compared to a live show. And ultimately decided that it's relatively similar to seeing her in a seated venue. I mean, I was still smiling like an idiot practically the whole time and was felt constantly compelled to clap after every song. Though the one great thing is that there's much less pressure- if you miss something, you can just go back and watch it again!

quote:
Originally posted by marjerina:

For anyone coming tomorrow though, he said that Regina would only be around briefly to say hi in the beginning of the show. I have no idea why I thought she'd be watching it with us (? being too hopeful Razzer) but in case anyone was under that same impression, she'll apparently just be in and out.

Aww, that's too bad, I was really looking forward to it. Frowner

Oh well, it'll still be awesome seeing all you guys again!

quote:
Originally posted by .:

I pictured it that way too!

She keeps breaking hearts with this thing haha.

And Marjerina, were you one of the girls who came in and started speaking to him about college or some music school or something like that?

I originally wanted to ask everyone in the theatre if they were on the stix, but there wasn't anyone i recognised, so I assumed not

Haha yea, that was us Big Grin I was the blonde one in the middle, who had no idea what was going on (they were talking about theater programs in Buffalo I believe) so I just kept nodding pretending I was following the conversation lmao. I think I may have seen you on line actually!

Tonight's screening is in the extra swanky old school auditorium at Village East; here's the ceiling:

zg8tzz

quote:
The Village East Cinema, located at 181-189 Second Avenue, opened in 1926 as The Yiddish Art Theater in the heart of New York City’s Jewish Rialto district. Designed by prominent Brooklyn lawyer and Jewish community leader Louis Jaffe, the historic building was built as an elaborate, 1265 seat live theater for Yiddish theater pioneer Maurice Schwartz. The interior was designed in the Moorish Revival style that was popular in synagogues at the time, and included a forty-foot ornamental ceiling with a spectacular Star of David in the center that is still present today.

link