Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IDontCare

So many recordings we'll never hear...

36 posts in this topic

I really must have a bit too much free time on my hands. Because it seems like all I do with my life anymore is scan through every little archived discussion on this forum to try and find old, rare recordings that don't get heard often. The older, or less-frequently performed the song, the better.

But all this wading through past posts has really only led me to two conclusions... 1.) I really have heard most of the stuff readily available online already, but more importantly, 2.) There are a lot of recordings that exist out there, that we may never get a chance to hear.

Hypothetically speaking, who's to say that Regina didn't have friends and family recording her first shows, pre-2002? Who's to say that somewhere out there, in someone's basement filed away with the home-movies, there isn't a video recording of Regina belting out Back of a Truck in some tiny little bar in New York? Who's to say there isn't a live recording of any number of previously thought to be "studio-only" tracks? And any number of other songs, that we might never hear? I've seen references to an article in which Regina states that she wrote "Lady" in '98, possibly even as early as '97. What if someone randomly happened to record her performing that song, that long ago?

I feel like with time, earlier and earlier recordings of that nature are going to surface. But... especially since it would be more likely for family or friends to record those early shows, as there wouldn't have been a real "fan base" back then, they might specifically not be releasing them because she doesn't like those performances/songs. And then again, who's to say these hypothetical recordings even exist? There's no proof either way. It's just simply maddening though, as it doesn't really seem all that far-fetched that some of her very first shows in particular might have been recorded by her family. If only we could just have access to everything ever recorded EVER!

But moving into the next part of this little problem I have, is in the lack of releases of a few recordings that I oft see speculated about on here in past postings... for example, there was that rumored disk of demo tracks spread about a few years back, including such songs as "Belt," "8th Floor," etc. However, when asked to post the tracks, the OP never replied to that thread again (though a brief glance at his profile shows that he was still active on the forum for a bit after he posted about having those demos). Do those tracks actually exist? Who knows? I don't. Perhaps these were actually all found years ago, and I just didn't look in the right places. I'd find it highly improbable... but still. The thought that those tracks might possibly exist... ugh. I just wish I could hear them! And then to think of other recordings that haven't surfaced... mentions were made of recording equipment being seen at the show where "By the Time You Read This Letter" was performed, yet a recording has never surfaced. And when one looks for a recording of "Dulce et Decorum," one is always lead to the same recording, each time. The performance in Boston, at Axis. But from what I've read, there have been more performances of it than that! The Toronto show, and that "private" show that were both mentioned in past posts, pop into mind. Both of which were also recorded, yet haven't surfaced. One of my personal favorite tracks, yet I'll only be able to hear it performed that one way, forever. And imagine if other tracks that were rather famous for being a one-time thing were to have additional recordings available? What if "Devil Come to Bethlehem," "The Virgin Queen," or "Oh, Marcello!" could suddenly be enjoyed anew, with a newly surfaced recording? Wouldn't that be fantastic?

Now, I do realize that a lot of this is just hypothetical conjecture... recordings that -could- exist. But might not. Actually, they probably don't. But still... the possibility is simply maddening. And for those tracks that are confirmed to exist but have been lost... well... It's just depressing. Frowner

However... I do realize that the future holds potential. Who's to say that 20 years from now, Regina isn't going to release ALL of her old archives, dating back from the earliest recordings she can get her hands on? One never knows. As she releases more albums, and achieves even more popularity, perhaps people who might have randomly seen and recorded her in an early performance might have their memories jogged and go upload them online. Maybe with time, it'll be revealed that Regina's been secretly making studio demos of EVERY SINGLE SONG that's ever popped into her gorgeous little head. AND maybe not.

It's just so sad that we may never know.

I suppose I'd like to end this little rant with an appeal to the "elders" of this here web-forum do-hickey. Someday, if you've got some free time, take a peek through your computer. Maybe you'll notice a concert you neglected to upload, a file hiding somewhere that's just begging to be shared. If I could do it, I'd put my entire collection of MP3s online in a huge archive for the world to see, as I've been collecting just about everything I can get my hands on... but 1.) That would be disrespectful to Regina as her studio works should be PURCHASED~~~~~~~ and 2.) I really don't have anything "new." Everything I have can be found through simply playing around a bit with the search features on this forum or exploring the number of wonderful fan-sites online (Respektonline, Reginaspektor.net, just to name a few). But maybe, just maybe, you (Yes, YOU. YOU reading this. Right now. YOU.) have something this community doesn't Maybe. Maybe even something that you didn't even realize you had. Or maybe you just remember something you heard about on the interwebs way back in the day. A good example would be that really old video of "I Want to Sing." Word was that the entire show that came from was video taped, and the videographer had a website and was even requested to provide the full recording of the show online. But now nobody remembers what that website was, where it originated from. Maybe YOU do though. Whoever YOU may be.

Maybe now would be a great time to start a big community project, a "Regina Archaeology" project, if you will. Even if all it ever ends up turning up is some old alternate recording of some song we've all probably heard millions of times... well... hey, it'll still be better than nothing. Smiler

Much love to this community for being around for so long and providing me with so much fun reading material to peruse in my free time! Nothing's more fun than a good treasure hunt through the past! <3

I really must have a bit too much free time on my hands. Because it seems like all I do with my life anymore is scan through every little archived discussion on this forum to try and find old, rare recordings that don't get heard often. The older, or less-frequently performed the song, the better.

But all this wading through past posts has really only led me to two conclusions... 1.) I really have heard most of the stuff readily available online already, but more importantly, 2.) There are a lot of recordings that exist out there, that we may never get a chance to hear.

Hypothetically speaking, who's to say that Regina didn't have friends and family recording her first shows, pre-2002? Who's to say that somewhere out there, in someone's basement filed away with the home-movies, there isn't a video recording of Regina belting out Back of a Truck in some tiny little bar in New York? Who's to say there isn't a live recording of any number of previously thought to be "studio-only" tracks? And any number of other songs, that we might never hear? I've seen references to an article in which Regina states that she wrote "Lady" in '98, possibly even as early as '97. What if someone randomly happened to record her performing that song, that long ago?

I feel like with time, earlier and earlier recordings of that nature are going to surface. But... especially since it would be more likely for family or friends to record those early shows, as there wouldn't have been a real "fan base" back then, they might specifically not be releasing them because she doesn't like those performances/songs. And then again, who's to say these hypothetical recordings even exist? There's no proof either way. It's just simply maddening though, as it doesn't really seem all that far-fetched that some of her very first shows in particular might have been recorded by her family. If only we could just have access to everything ever recorded EVER!

But moving into the next part of this little problem I have, is in the lack of releases of a few recordings that I oft see speculated about on here in past postings... for example, there was that rumored disk of demo tracks spread about a few years back, including such songs as "Belt," "8th Floor," etc. However, when asked to post the tracks, the OP never replied to that thread again (though a brief glance at his profile shows that he was still active on the forum for a bit after he posted about having those demos). Do those tracks actually exist? Who knows? I don't. Perhaps these were actually all found years ago, and I just didn't look in the right places. I'd find it highly improbable... but still. The thought that those tracks might possibly exist... ugh. I just wish I could hear them! And then to think of other recordings that haven't surfaced... mentions were made of recording equipment being seen at the show where "By the Time You Read This Letter" was performed, yet a recording has never surfaced. And when one looks for a recording of "Dulce et Decorum," one is always lead to the same recording, each time. The performance in Boston, at Axis. But from what I've read, there have been more performances of it than that! The Toronto show, and that "private" show that were both mentioned in past posts, pop into mind. Both of which were also recorded, yet haven't surfaced. One of my personal favorite tracks, yet I'll only be able to hear it performed that one way, forever. And imagine if other tracks that were rather famous for being a one-time thing were to have additional recordings available? What if "Devil Come to Bethlehem," "The Virgin Queen," or "Oh, Marcello!" could suddenly be enjoyed anew, with a newly surfaced recording? Wouldn't that be fantastic?

Now, I do realize that a lot of this is just hypothetical conjecture... recordings that -could- exist. But might not. Actually, they probably don't. But still... the possibility is simply maddening. And for those tracks that are confirmed to exist but have been lost... well... It's just depressing. Frowner

However... I do realize that the future holds potential. Who's to say that 20 years from now, Regina isn't going to release ALL of her old archives, dating back from the earliest recordings she can get her hands on? One never knows. As she releases more albums, and achieves even more popularity, perhaps people who might have randomly seen and recorded her in an early performance might have their memories jogged and go upload them online. Maybe with time, it'll be revealed that Regina's been secretly making studio demos of EVERY SINGLE SONG that's ever popped into her gorgeous little head. AND maybe not.

It's just so sad that we may never know.

I suppose I'd like to end this little rant with an appeal to the "elders" of this here web-forum do-hickey. Someday, if you've got some free time, take a peek through your computer. Maybe you'll notice a concert you neglected to upload, a file hiding somewhere that's just begging to be shared. If I could do it, I'd put my entire collection of MP3s online in a huge archive for the world to see, as I've been collecting just about everything I can get my hands on... but 1.) That would be disrespectful to Regina as her studio works should be PURCHASED~~~~~~~ and 2.) I really don't have anything "new." Everything I have can be found through simply playing around a bit with the search features on this forum or exploring the number of wonderful fan-sites online (Respektonline, Reginaspektor.net, just to name a few). But maybe, just maybe, you (Yes, YOU. YOU reading this. Right now. YOU.) have something this community doesn't Maybe. Maybe even something that you didn't even realize you had. Or maybe you just remember something you heard about on the interwebs way back in the day. A good example would be that really old video of "I Want to Sing." Word was that the entire show that came from was video taped, and the videographer had a website and was even requested to provide the full recording of the show online. But now nobody remembers what that website was, where it originated from. Maybe YOU do though. Whoever YOU may be.

Maybe now would be a great time to start a big community project, a "Regina Archaeology" project, if you will. Even if all it ever ends up turning up is some old alternate recording of some song we've all probably heard millions of times... well... hey, it'll still be better than nothing. Smiler

Much love to this community for being around for so long and providing me with so much fun reading material to peruse in my free time! Nothing's more fun than a good treasure hunt through the past! <3

I've been meaning to read your post for a while. I agree with you on all points. This reply is way longer than I planned and all over the place as I tangently try to address some of the points raised.

I love the idea of a "Regina Archaeology" community project. I think a collaborative encyclopedia would be the best way to go. I am working on a Wikiproject about Regina. It's kindof like a Wikicity or Wikia. I want to set it up a little more before I show you guys (alas, I have been sidetracked and not in the mood to do so lately, not to mention I have been plagued with laziness). I also have this crazy idea - instead of all the interviews where Regina is asked the same thing over and over, we should contact her people and see if we can't set up an interview ourselves and ask her stuff we're still wondering about, like a youtube.com/user/reddit interview, where the highest voted questions are asked until the hour is up.

There's an interview that I can't find right now in which Regina said she grew up listening to her father's bootleg recordings and tapes of the Beatles and the Moody Blues and other Western music, and then she talked about illegally downloading music. This is somewhat relevant:

http://www.spinner.com/2010/11...ive-in-london-video/

quote:

This week, Regina Spektor is releasing her first concert DVD and CD, 'Live in London.' It's a big step for the singer-songwriter, who admits she hates listening to or watching herself.

"I got to a point where I didn't think I'd ever be able to do it because I get so self-conscious. It's such a different thing when I'm being recorded than when I'm not being recorded. I sort of kind of gave up on it for a little while," she tells Spinner of recording a live performance. "It's really hard to deal with yourself once you're not in the moment."

Spektor credits friend and director Adria Petty, who said Spektor was being a "schmuck," and bootleggers for convincing her to finally relent. "There are so many really bad [bootlegs] out there, like all shaky and really distorted cell phone sound," she says. "Just make a good one at least so that people can really hear the music and see the playing and have a closer experience with it."

Despite the bad quality, she appreciates the fans who take the time to tape her performances. "I have a completely open taping [policy]. I get really mad at security if they take away somebody's camera or cell phone or any kind of recording device," she says. " I'm actually really grateful to a lot of people who have recorded me over the years because I search my own songs on s----y bootlegs and I remember how to play them when I don't know how to play them anymore. It makes me happy they exist and they're not just lost because I can't remember them. It's kind of a partnership in helping remember my own music."

Still, she's conflicted about watching herself on professional recordings. "I don't know if it's good. I don't know if I'm supposed to see that," she says. "There's a lot of s---, like, 'Really, I do that? That's weird. Why do I do that?' I try not to think about stuff too much. I see it as much as I need too for the edits, but I don't sit around being like, 'Hmm, interesting. Why did I play like that?' It's a little bit of a mind f---."

"I kind of don't think of it as me because if I thought it was me, I would just be like, 'This is really weird,'" she adds. "I look at all the moments. I'm like, 'Oh, there are my friends, look at that. He looks really happy in that moment. Oh, there's Beth, look at her go.' I'm looking at everybody else but me."

I feel like Regina's recordings aren't as precious to her as they are to us (or otherwise she would have her people record her every concert). I hope she revisits her early stuff, but she probably doesn't even remember her old songs and also probably wants to create new stuff and evolve as a musician. I wonder if she ever writes songs and thinks, "Oh this sucks. This song will never get out and see the light of day."

I'm more interested in cataloging every song instead of performance.

Would everyone take a look at this and see what's missing?:

http://lyrics.wikia.com/Regina_Spektor

Does anyone want to listen to every song chronologically and check the lyrics with the "official" lyrics at Gracenote and compare with the thread The Complete Spektography?

I see that these songs aren't in the list:

Alex Heffes feat. Regina Spektor - Balloon Girl [instrumental with Regina Spektor on emmms and ahhs]

Alex Heffes feat. Regina Spektor - Birdsong [instrumental with Regina breathing and hmming and ahhing]

http://evolutionmusicpartners....s+%26+Regina+Spektor

Dufus (or DuFuS) ft. Regina Spektor - Fun Wearing Underwear (or Funderwear?)

(soundcheck)

I'll add those now. and could someone check if I transcribed the lyrics to 'Fun Wearing Underwear' correctly? I can't figure out some of the lines.

I transcribed this song - http://lyrics.wikia.com/Regina...s_(Live_At_St._Louis)

and I'll do my part by uploading it to Youtube once I figure out how to do that (thanks to eshbach for giving me the song). Download The Crimea's free album (to raise buzz, which didn't happen) "Secrets of the Witching Hour" here - http://www.inaudible.co.uk/cri...0Witching%20Hour.zip which feature excerpts of Regina reading the poem from Opposite Ends used as intros. You can download the unedited album without Regina at thecrimea.net/download

Ahhhh thank God, I was beginning to think I was the only one concerned with finding every little shred of music that's every been produced by this fabulous woman and making it accessible to the public! Hahaha. Wink

That being said, the idea of that wiki sounds AMAZING. Totally making an account as soon as I finish typing this so that I can go in there and help out in any way possible~

While I certainly see the obvious importance of completeing a list of all works before one worries about performances, it seems that what we have of the the Complete Spektography is pretty well accurate. Not that many things missing... the only things not updated are Live in London releases, the tracks you mentioned above, and I'm pretty sure the White Session demos weren't listed as such. But that aside... it's pretty damn accurate. And I can vouch for it because I've pretty much heard every song on there in every possible form available (live, demo, studio, etc.). (***side-rant***) Only thing I have yet to hear is "The Bronx." And I'm doing that on purpose... never heard it, and never will until Regina releases new material... because as much as I hate to even imagine it, if Regina were to die tomorrow (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!), that'd mean no new Regina. Forever. Frowner So I'm waiting till I hear a promise of new material being recorded, or of a new song I haven't heard yet, and then I can listen to The Bronx in full confidence knowing that it won't be my last "new" Regina song. :P (/***side-rant***)

And of course, this whole idea of finding these older/archived performances also leads to the possibility of adding new songs to said Spektography. An online review for the Tonic (? ?? It was one of her frequent early venues, I think... Maybe it was the Living Room?) mentioned her singing "School is Out" and another song entitled "Pyromania." Well... The former has never been played live. We didn't even get to hear it until a couple years back... The later doesn't even exist in recorded form!!! Imagine how amazing that would be to hear!

The way I look at it is, at a lot of her early shows (pre-'04/05?), she almost always throws in a random unrecorded song that we never see again, or perhaps might only see very rarely. Immediately popping into my head are "The Mustard Musketeers," "AB," "Bear Spektor," "Dead Rat," "The Floor Heard Everything," "Oh, Marcello!," among others. So if that's the case... how many other dozens of songs have we missed?!? How many amazed spectators had the honor of getting to hear the words "well... I think I'll try playing this realllllly old song now... I don't often play this one for real people... let's hope I don't fuck up..." and then watch her break into something amazing and fabulous?! Ahhh... to be one of those lucky few.

And to further add weight to that theory... well... think about it. That's EXACTLY what happened with "By the Time You Read This Letter" (though perhaps not with those exact words... haha). It's just that this time, some people were around to at least tell the world that some dope shit went down that day. Well... I'm assuming it's dope shit. But isn't every one of Regina's songs "dope shit?" Hahahahaha.

And for those of you feeling all tl;dr on me today...

"There's lots of Regina out there, but possibly even more than what we already have. If you (YES YOU, PERSON READING THIS PAGE!!!) have any recordings, even just of commonly played material at some random show you went to, if it's not online, PUT IT THERE!!! Look through everything you've got sitting on your computer and/or camera. I'm willing to bet that if every single regular member of this forum did that, we'd be bound to run into something. Even if that something isn't a new song, or a particularly different version of something we already have. I don't care. Regina's music is beauty, and needs to be out there. It's as simple as that."

Yeah, it's maddening to think how many recordings exist but people don't/can't/won't or forget to share them.

Hello...anyone...freaking LACHRIMOSA from the 2009 show in Minnesota?!?! FAIL.

I don't remember off-hand where, but I'm positive that I read that one of regina's earlier sound guys (like European tour 2005 era) recorded AND videotaped all of her shows. He's responsible for doing Live at Bullmoose.

We also know her father has probably 17 truckloads of audio/video from shows from the beginning up to now.

Seriously, doesn't it just kill?

Exactly!!! It's examples like that, that make me want to just rip my hair out in frustration! So much wonderful music, but so much that we'll never actually hear!

Another way to think about it... from the minute I first realized I liked Regina, I very quickly fell in love with her studio work. But discovering her live works... it changed me entirely. "Devil Come to Bethlehem" and "Dulce et Decorum" are two of my absolute favorite songs in the world (only two others beat them! (Both from 11:11 Wink )), and both only have one known recording (save Dulce, which has more, but they're just wasting away on some people's hard drives...). If I hadn't heard those songs... I just feel as if my life wouldn't be quite as complete as it is now. Both are completely magical songs... and I just want to be able to experience that joy and wonder again with something else that's new. <3

Ah you guys are the coolest. I'm just so happy I'm not a freak. ...or I'm happy that you are too. Either way you wanna look at it Wink

I feel the same way! I read/heard regina say in some interview that for her first ever performance she called all of her "russian-jewish family and friends" so that the audience consisted of only them and also that her parents recorded that first real show of hers. That thought is just making me crazzzyyy! Because you know: why would her parents release that to the public ever? I know it won't happen if regina doesn't approve and she probably wont, based on how she feels about her older stuff.

And you people: I'm so impressed with how much you know! This whole thread is like new things for me. The european camera man, school is out live, Dulce on the private show? And btw, I'm not even sure what that "private" thing was? I've seen recordings from it I think. Many of them on youtube. But who were invited to the private show?

One more thing that's making me crazy is that live intro of Daniel Cowman where she stops and says "some of the keys don't work on this piano so I can't play it today. sorry. I'll try when they have fixed the piano" (STUPID PEOPLE, FIX THE PIANO ALREADY!) Did she ever...?

And did she ever remember In the Studio again?

And yes, Jamie! Lacrimosa! I had forgotten about that. Probably repressed it since it made me so mad.

I guess I don't have to add that I too want to rip my hair out because of all this?

Let's start digging! Smiler

Hahahaha, it's true... we're all freaks. But clearly the best kind of freaks... right? Wink

That information about her first show is absolutely mind-boggling. I always assumed that something along those lines must have occurred... but I never knew that she actually talked about her first show in an interview before??? It makes me absolutely mad thinking that that show might never surface... Frowner

To be honest, pretty much all of the rather "obscure" info that I have about Regina is just stuff that I read on here... When I find a song that I want to learn more about (e.g., when I was looking for more versions of Dulce, live versions of Daniel Cowman, etc.), I generally just type in something into this forum's search box and find some little gem buried deep in the nooks of the forum. It's soooooo cool! There's so much stuff in here that people just don't remember because newer members (though I wouldn't want to make a rash generalization... considering that I myself wouldn't even fall into it. HA!) don't often go searching through the archives of Regina-fandom past. Frowner

It's amazing how much you can find out if you just come up with some inventive search terms. Smiler

And as for Daniel Cowman... I know that recording very well. It absolutely tore my heart to shreds when it ended in abortion. But if you'll notice, she does mention right before she begins that normally Anders would accompany her at a lot of her early shows, so she had to fill in dead space with her own music that as she stated, "some of it, I don't play for people." I'm going to assume that after that experience, she probably never touched it again. At least, I've never seen a set-list mentioning it. Frowner

And as for "In The Studio," ... When I showed it to my best friend Ali, we both almost cried because, as she put it, "That was supposed to be one of my favorite songs. I can tell. But I'll never get to hear it." However... I vaguely remember once thinking that one of her other songs reminded me of the intro that she played for In The Studio... but I can't remember which one? I thought that she perhaps reworked it... but it was just a fleeting conjecture. I'll have to go through my collection to find out which one it was now...

EDIT: Checked through my files, and remembered which one. The beginning of BYOS reminds me of In The Studio. Almost 100% positive it's just a coincidence, as I'm pretty sure BYOS was already written before In The Studio? But who knows? I'm probably just making a mental bridge since they're both in C Minor...

And as for the live Lacrimosa recently... I'm ashamed to admit that a few days later, she was in Boston and played it live at the Orpheum again.

... I live in Massachusetts. I should have been there. Recording it. Loving it. Living and breathing the wonderful air that Regina was, and witnessing her glory before me. But I was stuck away at school across state... FrownerFrownerFrowner

And for information regarding the "private" show: http://reginaspektor.infopop.c...731033361#1731033361

Also of interest: Apparently JohnnyC has another 2 recordings of Dulce et Decorum that he nabbed in Canada? Hmmm... hopefully he'll pop on here and notice this and throw them online... cuz well, Dulce is amazing. The world deserves to hear another interpretation, I think. Smiler

Hope that serves of some use. Smiler

And your hair that you plan on ripping out... it wouldn't happen to be Long Brown Hair, would it? :P

In

I do have a little show from Duke University in 2007. Regina was really sick and I believe she had to be carried on and off the stage at one point. Jack came out and rambled off some silly stories to stall for time. I found it on someones livejournal a couple days after the show, and I was gonna share it, but I never got around to it. She played a lot of slower songs, and at the time she hadn't played some of these songs a lot.

I think it's on my other computer, and I'm going to try to find it and see if it's worth putting up for you all. I'm not sure exactly what she played or anything..

^^^ That's fantastic. Even if it turns out that every single one of those songs is something we've already heard a million times before, or she sounds like she's knocking on death's door due to the sickness... well... it's still more Regina. And the world can never have enough Reggie Spekz. ^_^