Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IDontCare

So many recordings we'll never hear...

36 posts in this topic

Here is a Setlist from the fourms that as far as I know isn't hosted anywhere else, and I never knew it existed until about a month ago. It includes Patron Saint!!! and the clocks were asleep.

Awesome! I've heard the recording of The Clocks Were Asleep from this show, as it was part of rather large zip file I downloaded on her once, which when uploaded into iTunes was listed as an album called "Regina Complete."

However, I'd never bothered to actually find the show in question till you posted it... brilliant, hearing a "new" recording of Patron Saint, that I hadn't heard before! Thanks! <3

quote:
Originally posted by bum bum bum:

I do have a little show from Duke University in 2007. Regina was really sick and I believe she had to be carried on and off the stage at one point. Jack came out and rambled off some silly stories to stall for time.

I know a bit of Jack's rambling is on youtube, but I'd definitely love the whole recording. Regina's mettle was certainly not lacking. It's insane, that though she couldn't stand or walk, had excruciating pain, and had been floated out of her body by massive amounts of pharmaceuticals, she could and did still sing and play so well. Who does that?!

quote:
Originally posted by IDontCare:

That information about her first show is absolutely mind-boggling. I always assumed that something along those lines must have occurred... but I never knew that she actually talked about her first show in an interview before??? It makes me absolutely mad thinking that that show might never surface... FrownerIn

IMHO it's one of her best interviews can read it in entirety- HERE.

We go on to Sidewalk Cafe in the East Village, where she played her first proper gig, aged 19. "I'd come here for the open mic night but never got picked. So I got the number of the booker and called him up. It happened a woman was covering for him that day, and so I lied to her, 'I had a show booked and I don't remember when it was. Would you mind checking?' and she looked in the diary and of course it wasn't there. 'He said he wrote it down,' I said, and so she put me down for a slot. I begged every single person I knew to come. The place was full of Russian adults. They did such good business they had me back, and slowly I started to have some real fans."

Regina's early shows were a bit before the time of everyone and their brother toting P&S digial cameras, flip video recorders, and cellphones with voicenotes around, so there was more of a concerted effort needed to accomplish the taping. And when I think about it, I'm almost a little surprised that we DO have as many recordings as we have based on that (but then I think, it's Regina, duh! Of course she inspires a love that makes people want to engulf every shred of music she breathes into life). Though, even with the advent of portable electronics, there is still the problem of the person who is sitting in this little venue, unsuspectingly having the incredibly good fortune to hear something amazing. Sometimes, you just don't have the presence of mind to do anything but stare in awe. Afterward you want to hurt yourself for not recording it, and you go clinically insane, and google until your fingers bleed, then resort to stalking the artist by sending them a billion messages on myspace begging and pleading to hear THAT ONE song again because you've tried everything and if you don't hear it, you might die. Then, if they're super nice they might be impressed (or afraid for your sanity) and send you advance copies of their EP. And you swear to yourself that you will not fail to record their shows ever again. True story.

@ IDontCare (which I believe you do secretly. care, that is) Nope. Not long brown unfortunately. quite the opposite - shorter and blond.

I thought In The Studio sounded like Raindrops in minor instead of major when I first heard it.

@dentistgirl

Yeah, I had read that interview. It's amazing. But I don't believe that's what I'm talking about. It doesn't mention recording does it? Just read through it real quick.

Gonna go check out the private show thread now thanks! Smiler

And bum bum bum! Can't wait Smiler

Oh I do care about a lot of things... I just don't care that flowers grow for you... Razzer

And as for In The Studio... anybody in the mood to collaborate on finishing it? LOL. Way I see it, is odds are EXTREMELY slim (almost none) that we'll ever hear it again. SO I figure maybe finishing it ourselves would be a fun little project... It took me all of 5 seconds to figure out her piano intro, so if anybody wants to collaborate on writing a little song... hmm. Fun. Smiler Maybe we could send it to Regina, be like, "Hey, remember this song you forgot that one time? Well... here's how we thought it might sound. Maybe you remember how it actually goes though???"

I just read through the threads concerning dulce and human of the year and them not being shared and all that. Does anyone know anything about what happened. Like a year ago I read through all of reg's myspace messages so I'm pretty sure she never mentioned it again like she wrote she intended to.

Hmm... And since Human of the year has been released on an album now the first recording should be safe to release or what?

aaaaaaaaaah! I should stop thinking about this stuff! An insane idea just popped into my head: "The first performances of my favorite songs, by regina spektor". Hah. That's impossible yeah, and I would probably die if it happened.

and jamie, what song are you talking about that you forgot to record?

edit: I just read through the threads concerning dulce and human of the year and them not being shared and all that. Does anyone know anything about what happened. Like a year ago I read through all of reg's myspace messages so I'm pretty sure she never mentioned it again like she wrote she intended to.

Hmm... And since Human of the year has been released on an album now the first recording should be safe to release or what?

aaaaaaaaaah! I should stop thinking about this stuff! An insane idea just popped into my head: "The first performances of my favorite songs, by regina spektor". Hah. That's impossible yeah, and I would probably die if it happened.

and jamie, what song are you talking about that you forgot to record?

Well, it seems rather obvious that the "ban" on Dulce and Human have both been lifted... the later obviously due to it being on her album, the former simply because it's been out there for so long, yet no mention of it being used in any cool production like it was supposedly going to be has ever surfaced.

To be honest, I just think that the people who have those additional recordings probably forgot that they had it, are no longer active on here, or just didn't see a need to upload considering the GORGEOUS version she played in Boston. But it's still be cool if we could hear the other recordings anyways...

But yeah... that idea of Regina's first performances is just the sort of thing I dream about every day... It's almost like I've made it my life goal to uncover the earliest material possible. Razzer

I would probably have a heart attack if more recordings popped up of Dulce... It's one of my all time favorites. It irritates me how there are these recordings that never get shared. I saw one yesterday that had a canon. As far as I know she only played that song one other time live. Also another setlist had Ne me quitte pas,Ave Maria, bon Idee, Loveology, 8th floor, prisoners, and Consequence of Sounds. Those songs have few live recordings and someone somewhere out there has a recording of them. Also I've seen so many songs with dead links on here, I think we need to re-upload some of those songs.

^^^ Very true. The file-hosting services most people here use delete the files after a few weeks of inactivity.

Example: I'm looking for the radio broadcast of Genius Next Door. Recordings exist, but all links are dead.

It just doesn't make sense that people who have wouldn't then take their rare recordings and put them online! There's no reason to horde Regina. Wink